The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

We'll see....

That's another thing you can say about benning, if he don't think it's working that player better pack their bags. He's not afraid to rip off the bandaid like Gillis was.

Vey

Prust

Higgins

Bonino

Just to name a few 

• Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Larsen is competing with Stetcher, not Pedan.

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Then it's bye bye to Larsen, right?

To me, if Stetcher makes the team it should be in place of Larsen.  At this point in the development curve I'm happier to have Tryamkin and Pedan as 7/8, getting 50 or so games as injuries occur (or more beef on the backend is needed).  Meanwhile, have the better of Stetcher/Larsen at the 6th spot.  If Stetcher can't crack the top six I think he's better off playing everyday in Utica.

Edited by Wilbur
  • Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

To me, if Stetcher makes the team it should be in place of Larsen.  At this point in the development curve I'm happier to have Tryamkin and Pedan as 7/8, getting 50 or so games as injuries occur (or more beef one the backend is needed).  Meanwhile, have the better of Stetcher/Larsen at the 6th spot.  If Stetcher can't crack the top six I think he's better off playing everyday in Utica.

Ditto. 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

To me, if Stetcher makes the team it should be in place of Larsen.  At this point in the development curve I'm happier to have Tryamkin and Pedan as 7/8, getting 50 or so games as injuries occur (or more beef on the backend is needed).  Meanwhile, have the better of Stetcher/Larsen at the 6th spot.  If Stetcher can't crack the top six I think he's better off playing everyday in Utica.

And even more than that for me, if he can't be a regular roster player but also have opportunities on the PP like Larsen likely would have then I'd rather have him in Utica.

36 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

How do you think Stecher compares to Hutton last year? 

I think game 1 he was awesome, but Hutton's preseason overall was better. I think Stecher makes the decision difficult but ultimately gets sent down. 

I think it's going to be a close call and I'm glad I don't have to make it.

• Upvote 1

From what I have seen Stecher is in, Larsen is out. Still a couple games to go. Things could change quickly and maybe other factors come into play as well. Hard to ignore how creative Stecher can be with the puck. Would be exciting to have Stecher and Hutton manning the two power play units. Just hard to ignore the offensive awareness and puck smarts that he has. We'll see what happens when the competition get a bit stiffer this week. Go Troy!

Just playing Devil's Advocate, even though I really want to see Stecher up here in the show because he brings a dynamic skillset that our team just doesn't have at the moment (Larsen might have it but hasn't shown it yet), what would Stecher's game evolve into in the AHL.

Looking at the transformation of Gaunce, how would Stecher look like with a year under coach Travis Green. He would for sure get the green light in Utica to provide offense from the backend, but would he round his game further and become a more complete consistent player? 

Hutton came in from the NCAA and for the first few months looked real good, but around December and early January he slowed down, before picking it up again in February and then slowing down in the last 15 games of the season.

Would Stecher develop better if he's in the AHL, where he can play top minutes in all situations and refine his craft, than up here in the NHL, where he may be given sheltered minutes and only in opportunities where he can succeed (for example, heavy offensive zone starts, playing against lower quality NHLers, and usage on the power play)?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Just playing Devil's Advocate, even though I really want to see Stecher up here in the show because he brings a dynamic skillset that our team just doesn't have at the moment (Larsen might have it but hasn't shown it yet), what would Stecher's game evolve into in the AHL.

Looking at the transformation of Gaunce, how would Stecher look like with a year under coach Travis Green. He would for sure get the green light in Utica to provide offense from the backend, but would he round his game further and become a more complete consistent player? 

Hutton came in from the NCAA and for the first few months looked real good, but around December and early January he slowed down, before picking it up again in February and then slowing down in the last 15 games of the season.

Would Stecher develop better if he's in the AHL, where he can play top minutes in all situations and refine his craft, than up here in the NHL, where he may be given sheltered minutes and only in opportunities where he can succeed (for example, heavy offensive zone starts, playing against lower quality NHLers, and usage on the power play)?

Don't worry, the kid is a friggin' LOCK.  No chance he is anywhere but here.  He will sell tickets, and he's good to boot! 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

I don't think he slowed down anymore than the rest of the team did.  

Was going to post basically the same.

Blömqvist's post lacks the context of how the team was playing and the injuries we had etc. 

Edited by J.R.

I think the best place for him is the AHL this year. His preseason has been great and it has shown how he is capable of playing. However, coming out of college, where they play less games in a year, I think I year on the road in the AHL as opposed to the NHL would be better for him. The biggest thing he would gain would be adapting to the travel and professionalism of the sport, while getting lots of ice time. He deserved every game he played in, but he still has to learn the off ice components to make the jump effectively to the NHL. 

It would also make our numbers game easier for our roster. I think we have yet to see the best from Larsen and he would do better with some more time to adjust. I'm not sure about this, but I believe we can send down Pedan without waivers. I think he would be more useful to Utica as they already have Stetcher, Subban and Nilsson on the right side, making Biega a bit redundant. I also think Biega has a chance of being claimed as he is a cheap, right handed, depth defenseman. 

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Larsen

Tryamkin, Biega

-------------------------

Pedan

Stetcher

Subban

Nilsson

That's a solid group to work with for the upcoming season. 

• Upvote 1

For what it's worth, Craig Button was on TSN 1040 a couple of hours ago and said that he would take Stecher over Larsen in a heartbeat. Starts talking about Troy Stecher and Phil Larsen at the 13 minute mark.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/bmac-donnie-the-moj-oct-4-hour-5-1.579727

Edited by Blömqvist
  • Upvote 1

I don't think management should over think it.  Stecher is everything they thought they were getting in Larsen (maybe more?)

Plus he's got that edge in his game, when he gets the puck on the point his first move is always looking for the best play, not passive or panicky.

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I don't think management should over think it.  Stecher is everything they thought they were getting in Larsen (maybe more?)

Plus he's got that edge in his game, when he gets the puck on the point his first move is always looking for the best play, not passive or panicky.

And he's only 22, not 26.  Just send Larsen packing.  There is no spot for him now.  

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And he's only 22, not 26.  Just send Larsen packing.  There is no spot for him now.  

I'm curious about the actual targets on conditional pick we gave up on Larsen. Would be funny if the target was just NHL games played (versus NHL games player WITH Vancouver).

Imagine a scenario where we waive Larsen, the Oilers claim him, dress him for the required number of games, and end up with both Larsen and a 4th rounder.

Highly unlikely as I believe conditional picks generally require the performance targets to be achieved with the acquiring team.

EDIT: also unlikely because Larsen kinda hates the Oilers and probably just bolts to the KHL instead of going to back Edmonton 

In any case, if Stecher can live up to expectations, and that means we don't play Larsen, I won't sweat the loss of a pick, whether a 5th or a 4th, nor the loss of Larsen (if claimed on waivers).

But there are still a few games left to play before any final decisions get made.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I think the best place for him is the AHL this year. His preseason has been great and it has shown how he is capable of playing. However, coming out of college, where they play less games in a year, I think I year on the road in the AHL as opposed to the NHL would be better for him. The biggest thing he would gain would be adapting to the travel and professionalism of the sport, while getting lots of ice time. He deserved every game he played in, but he still has to learn the off ice components to make the jump effectively to the NHL. 

It would also make our numbers game easier for our roster. I think we have yet to see the best from Larsen and he would do better with some more time to adjust. I'm not sure about this, but I believe we can send down Pedan without waivers. I think he would be more useful to Utica as they already have Stetcher, Subban and Nilsson on the right side, making Biega a bit redundant. I also think Biega has a chance of being claimed as he is a cheap, right handed, depth defenseman. 

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Larsen

Tryamkin, Biega

-------------------------

Pedan

Stetcher

Subban

Nilsson

That's a solid group to work with for the upcoming season. 

Couldn't agree more.

I think Stecher could play in the NHL this year but you also need to consider the long-term. Pedan is waiver eligible so there is a risk he is picked up if he's put on waivers but I think that is a decision management will be forced to make. I doubt he get's picked up. I think management will send Stecher to Utica with a lot of praise and the experience of playing against NHL calibre opposition that will drive him to work harder down there. 

Is this the deepest the defensive core has ever been for the Canucks? throughout the organization? 

Pros:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Larsen

Tryamkin - Biega

Pedan - Stecher
Subban - Sautner

Billins - Nilsson

Cederholm - McEneny

Junior:

Juolevi - Brisebois

Neill - Olson

Candella - Stewart

If we are building for the future then asset management is huge. Send Stretcher down ,giving him time to play top minutes while shopping for a trade for that top six winger. If JB can put a three for one upgraded player together we can make room for stretcher and one of our young forwards to add energy during the season.

I guess Virtanen would be the forward.

Edited by Dragonass

Given the option of Stecher over Larsen, I think it is pretty clear that Stecher has proven himself to be the better player at camp.  I don't think many expected that Stecher would be so good already.

The issues with keeping him up have already been mentioned though, the big one (for me) is allowing him top minutes in Utica.  If we keep him with the big club and he gets cold, it will not only be a dead position in our lineup but will also kill his confidence.  If he can play in the NHL (and he can), you can bet he will KILL it in Utica. 

One issue is that it has already been said more than once that management is going to assemble the best team they can.  So it is a challenge for them to send down Stecher without totally going against their promise, as it is abundantly clear how well he has performed so far.

It is a challenge, but a good one to have.  Who knew a couple of years ago that by this point, Benning would have injected so much depth into our d core that we would be deciding on which NHL-caliber defensemen we would be forced to demote or let walk.

• Upvote 2