The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

9 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Philip Larsen needs to up his game, Stecher's coming for his job.

Stecher looked great out there tonight. I know it's only one game but if Stecher can keep the momentum up, he'll be a lock to make the Canucks.

This is exactly what I was thinking in the third period. A limited sample size, but the comparisons to Hutton's preseason last year are evident. Keeping him on as an 8th guy doesn't make much sense. But if he can keep this up and outplay Larsen he could definitely land himself a more regular spot.

It looks like the level of competition for our last few spots will be pretty high this year, its gonna be exciting to watch.

• Upvote 1

Like I said earlier Stecher has that swagger and Larsen doesn't, sorry Larsen some things like compete level you can't coach. That 100% attitude to win and compete Stech has.

composure, no fear, sees the ice well

ps Noticed it first in the Penticton scrimmage, Hope he keeps bringing it. We need that from the backend.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 1

Easily my favorite Canuck on the ice tonight, and that's saying a lot considering how many Canucks that showed up tonight. Was just a really smart player who could not only collect the puck pretty quickly and move it up the ice but also showed shrewd offensive prowess in the offensive zone as well. Didn't back down and handled the physicality really well.

• Upvote 3

Great game for Stecher (following an impressive camp). He's done nothing but look good since arriving here.

I'm still keeping my expectations in check, and I still think odds are he'll start in the AHL, but there's no denying he looked NHL ready on several plays tonight. That little fake and then pass on the Rödin goal was high level stuff. Tantalizing skillset with this kid. Definitely looked, tonight at least, like it's not "if" but "when" for Stecher.

Still some games to play before the final lineup decision get made (and this was only a preseason game and against the Oilers). And definitely some hurdles to overcome, given roster pressures and waiver risk. But tonight he showed glimpses of being the type of defenseman I've been hoping for years that we could somehow acquire. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Fixed an autocorrect
  • Upvote 2

I loved Stecher's game tonight. He did everything right and made some high-end plays the offensive zone. 

In defense of Larsen, however, Stecher was paired with Edler and played behind Hutton and Gudbranson all game. Whereas Larsen was paired with Tryamkin I think and played top defensive duties against the Sharks (albeit, a much less talented squad).

I can't wait to see the next few games as Larsen gets back in and Stecher looks to remain consistent. Really good competition for that last RD spot, and so far, based on what management wanted from that last spot, Stecher has shown that he can produce points on even strength and on the powerpla and drive the transition and offense from the backend.

It's only one game I've seen him in (and against Edmonton) but he sure looked like the real deal out there. I also have to mention Rodin. Considering he didn't have all summer to work out, he looked pretty good as well. Gaunce also had a good game. Game on!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

It's only one game I've seen him in (and against Edmonton) but he sure looked like the real deal out there. I also have to mention Rodin. Considering he didn't have all summer to work out, he looked pretty good as well. Gaunce also had a good game. Game on!

playing against Edmonton isn't an argument anymore to lower the appreciation, especially since they iced McJesus with Eberle and in a lesser extent Lucic. 

it's a good measuring stick, because you have to play safe in defence.

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Great game for Stecher (following an impressive camp). He's done nothing but look good since arriving here.

I'm still keeping my expectations in check, and I still think odds are he'll start in the AHL, but there's no denying he looked NHL ready on several plays tonight. That little fake and then pass on the Rödin goal was high level stuff. Tantalizing skillset with this kid. Definitely looked, tonight at least, like it's not "if" but "when" for Stecher.

Still some games to play before the final lineup decision get made (and this was only a preseason game and against the Oilers). And definitely some hurdles to overcome, given roster pressures and waiver risk. But tonight he showed glimpses of being the type of defenseman I've been hoping for years that we could somehow acquire. 

I may have to revise my predictions about who makes the team. Like a lot of people I was sure that Stecher would start the season in Utica. But he was the best Canuck on the ice against the Oilers tonight. It not just that he got on the scoresheet 3 times, but he was good every time he was on the ice. And he is obviously a legitimate contender to QB the powerplay.

It is no longer obvious to me that Larsen is the better pick for third pairing RD. If Stecher continues to play like he did tonight it is hard to see how the Canucks can send him down.

• Upvote 2

Stecher's going to give Larsen a run for his money. He played real well with Edler, which on occasion is that not easy , and Edler played great with him.  It could maybe be the unit we need on the #1 PP.

You can bet that if Stecher plays well throughout preseason then JB will want to keep him on the roster. WD might want to keep Larsen, who he is familiar with, though. All really depends on how well Larsen can play from here on.

Stecher has one upped him after that game.

It feels good to have depth. Real Gud.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Willies comments are glowing.   "some really high end plays" comments on his goal. 

Willie seems happy lol.  good competition for Larsen then which is great.

As I have said on a number of occasions, Willie is not hard to read, he loves guys who work their ass off and compete. Do that for him and you will always have a chance. Stecher is one of these guys, he knows that talent alone is not enough, it has to be backed up with hard work and responsibility.

• Upvote 3