The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

Stetcher should make the club.  He said one of the reasons for signing here was because management has shown they're true to their word in making spots for younger players that are deserving of a roster spot.  So far he is most definitely worthy of a spot over Pedan, Biega, Larsen, and maybe even Sbisa.  Honestly Biega and Larsen are just extra bodies that can fill in when injuries arise, Sbisa should be dealt.

8 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Stetcher should make the club.  He said one of the reasons for signing here was because management has shown they're true to their word in making spots for younger players that are deserving of a roster spot.  So far he is most definitely worthy of a spot over Pedan, Biega, Larsen, and maybe even Sbisa.  Honestly Biega and Larsen are just extra bodies that can fill in when injuries arise, Sbisa should be dealt.

Sbisa needs to be kept to meet expansion req's.

Just now, The 5th Line said:

Biega can meet the requirements as long as he plays at least 19 games.  

True, but we have a sure thing in Sbisa. We can literally just keep him in the press box all season. If Biega has a year long injury and Sbisa's gone, then we've been had.

1 hour ago, thejazz97 said:

Sbisa needs to be kept to meet expansion req's.

I'm expecting we will see Sbisa with Stecher, in at least one of the last two games, and maybe Sbisa/Larsen in the other if Larsen is still in the running.  Could always end up with Edler/Stecher and Sbisa/Tanev, but I doubt they'd want to both reduce the TOI of our two best D-men and increase it for our 5th and a rookie.

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Sbisa needs to play at least 29 games this season so that we can surrender him to the draft.  He will be serving up a minimum of 29 pizzas 

I heard Biega only needs 18 games to qualify.  I wonder if Biega is waived, whether another team claims him just for that purpose: play the guy the 18 games and then expose him to expansion.  Do you think it comes down to which of the two is better for our team this one season: Biega or Sbisa?

21 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

I'm expecting we will see Sbisa with Stecher, in at least one of the last two games, and maybe Sbisa/Larsen in the other if Larsen is still in the running.  Could always end up with Edler/Stecher and Sbisa/Tanev, but I doubt they'd want to both reduce the TOI of our two best D-men and increase it for our 5th and a rookie.

Those 3 pairs could split 5v5 time pretty evenly and Stetcher wouldn't likely see any PK time (though, clearly he'd see PP). I'd imagine Sbisa/Tanev and Edler/Guddy would get the lion's share of PK upping their minutes there. Edler, Stetcher and Hutton would likely see most of the PP time and get extra minutes there leaving Edler as still our highest minute guys likely in the low 20's most nights.

Stetcher playing largely offensive starts and PP would probably be high teens. 

I think it would work just fine ;)

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Those 3 pairs could split 5v5 time pretty evenly and Stetcher wouldn't likely see any PK time (though, clearly he'd see PP). I'd imagine Sbisa/Tanev and Edler/Guddy would get the lion's share of PK upping their minutes there. Edler, Stetcher and Hutton would likely see most of the PP time and get extra minutes there leaving Edler as still our highest minute guys likely in the low 20's most nights.

Stetcher playing largely offensive starts and PP would probably be high teens. 

I think it would work just fine ;)

I doubt Benning wants to lose any of Larsen, Tryamkin or Pedan without evaluating over at least 30 games. All have value in a possible trade. Stecher goes to Utica to wait out whatever happens. If he plays well in Utica it simply puts pressure on management to make room for him. Might not be fair to Stecher off the hop but if he ends up in Van by X-Mass with one of the 3 moved then all ends well. For me it is all about the team ending up better by season's end.  

Just now, Boudrias said:

I doubt Benning wants to lose any of Larsen, Tryamkin or Pedan without evaluating over at least 30 games. All have value in a possible trade. Stecher goes to Utica to wait out whatever happens. If he plays well in Utica it simply puts pressure on management to make room for him. Might not be fair to Stecher off the hop but if he ends up in Van by X-Mass with one of the 3 moved then all ends well. For me it is all about the team ending up better by season's end.  

If he gets sent down it's either because he gets clearly outplayed the last couple games by Larsen or maybe with the understanding it's short term (2'ish weeks) to give them time to move another D and make room for him. And that second scenario would be a stretch IMO.

I doubt Benning wants to lose anyone either but as of right now, Stetcher's earned that 6th D spot. It's not even close IMO. That could certainly change in the last couple games but as of right now, he's Hutton'ing his way on to the team and Benning will have to react to that reality.

Larsen frankly hasn't shown enough to get claimed IMO. At that point, it's up to him to report in Utica or head back to Europe.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If he gets sent down it's either because he gets clearly outplayed the last couple games by Larsen or maybe with the understanding it's short term (2'ish weeks) to give them time to move another D and make room for him. And that second scenario would be a stretch IMO.

I doubt Benning wants to lose anyone either but as of right now, Stetcher's earned that 6th D spot. It's not even close IMO. That could certainly change in the last couple games but as of right now, he's Hutton'ing his way on to the team and Benning will have to react to that reality.

Larsen frankly hasn't shown enough to get claimed IMO. At that point, it's up to him to report in Utica or head back to Europe.

Yup, save for a radical collapse or change, Stecher has made this team.  Management will do whatever is required to keep him there, even if it means doing another (gasp, horrors) Corrado.  Perhaps Larsen can be flipped elsewhere for low to middling pick, but in light of recent depth/injury issues I think they'll do enough wrangling to keep him around.  Twice bitten...

• Upvote 1

Benning would be losing face if he kept Larsen over Stecher.  We are ok with losing the pick we traded for Larsen.  If stecher is better.. keep him. dont worry about optics of roster management.  The results will help you!

• Upvote 1

Willie on Stecher: "He's made it so interesting for us," Told him on the ice today, "You weren't supposed to be here." #Canucks

Of note in #Canucks 1st practice group Stecher and Larsen take turns 1st unit PP with 22-33-21-20 (Sedins/Eriksson/Sutter) #TSN1040

8 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Couldn't agree more.

I think Stecher could play in the NHL this year but you also need to consider the long-term. Pedan is waiver eligible so there is a risk he is picked up if he's put on waivers but I think that is a decision management will be forced to make. I doubt he get's picked up. I think management will send Stecher to Utica with a lot of praise and the experience of playing against NHL calibre opposition that will drive him to work harder down there. 

Is this the deepest the defensive core has ever been for the Canucks? throughout the organization? 

Pros:

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Sbisa - Larsen

Tryamkin - Biega

Pedan - Stecher
Subban - Sautner

Billins - Nilsson

Cederholm - McEneny

Junior:

Juolevi - Brisebois

Neill - Olson

Candella - Stewart

I'm truly amazed at how Benning has turned a pretty crappy D core into legitimacy in one year. 

That said, I don't think we're as good as we were in the early-mid 2000's.

I can't remember all the prospects and also-rans...but the year we drafted Bourdon was the same year Bieksa came from out of nowhere and Baumgartner had his one great season. That was behind Allen, Salo, Ohlund and Jovanovski.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's closer than I thought - Tanev = Salo, Hutton > Bieksa, Edler < Ohlund, Gudbranson < Jovo, Sbisa = Allen, Stecher = Baumgartner

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nzan said:

I'm truly amazed at how Benning has turned a pretty crappy D core into legitimacy in one year. 

That said, I don't think we're as good as we were in the early-mid 2000's.

I can't remember all the prospects and also-rans...but the year we drafted Bourdon was the same year Bieksa came from out of nowhere and Baumgartner had his one great season. That was behind Allen, Salo, Ohlund and Jovanovski.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's closer than I thought - Tanev = Salo, Hutton > Bieksa, Edler < Ohlund, Gudbranson < Jovo, Sbisa = Allen, Stecher = Baumgartner

Agreed! the defense has been totally overhauled, it now has some decent depth, is much much bigger and tougher to play against and is much younger. I don't here to many people saying we should have signed hammer at this point. ill take projects in Tree and Pedan with a side of Stetcher over Weber, Bartkowski and Biega any day of the week.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, kloubek said:

... it is abundantly clear how well he has performed so far.

I won't argue that Stecher has played well, but he's played in preseason games against preseason rosters while playing with Edler in large part. I don't necessarily want to rush him in his first year pro after some initial good play only to find he struggles against full NHL rosters - in particular because he's coming from an easier schedule in college to a busy one in the NHL. We all talked about Hutton slowing down a little last year, particularly with a little more minutes during injury coverage, so it's something to be careful of with a smaller player in Stecher.

I'd love to give him a taste and see how he does, but if he falters and could use the time in Utica then we've already moved or waived Larsen and might not have him to fill in. But the opposite situation, where we give Larsen the time to see how he performs while Stecher gets more used to our systems and the speed of the pro game in Utica, we can always drop Larsen and bring Stecher back up if he's still doing well.

It's a cautious approach with him, but since we aren't in a rush it might be one the Canucks think about.