The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

4 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Here's to Brock Boeser turning pro at the end of the NCAA season and teaming up with Troy Stecher on a long Calder Cup run in Utica. 

Well, you can have Brock, but don't count on Troy being available to Utica. He might be needed in Vancouver.

I think Stecher outplayed Larsen. But I think I know what the management is thinking. Don't forget how real injuries are in this game. You need 4 or 5 solid NHL calibre defensmen on each side to get through an 82 game season and hopefully playoffs. Right now, Stecher goes down, gets top minutes, and fine tunes his game. And as soon as we need to start calling up guys, he will get a call. I suspect Pedan to be first call up for a defensive defensman need, and Stecher for if we need a PMD up. It's almost inconcievable that we finish the year all the way through with Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Larsen to go 82 games straight with no serious injury. We will see stecher soon. Trust me.

I also think Stecher getting games, and hopefully a lot of games, this year is important for the Franchise, and believe it or not, for Jordan Subban. If management wants to see Subban in a Canucks uniform next year, then it would be great to already have Stecher up and present. Having two right side PMDs who need bottom pairing and PP minutes coming in at the same time as rookies would not be good for either of them or the team. Better to have Stecher eased in and heading into his sophmore season at that time. I for one would love to see a future d core of

Juolevi - Gudbranson

Hutton - Stecher

Tryamkin - Subban

I think the experience with McCann last year might have also been a factor, along with the benefit of moving Stecher to Utica without risking waivers.  Larsen is protected and gets a solid chance, and Stecher can get some Green time, which isn't the worst thing.  Like Stecher, McCann had a good pre season, scored some pretty goals, but it became clear that MCann wasn't ready for a full season in the NHL.  He was kept to add some scoring punch and he didn't deliver.  Can't remember what coach said this but "Guys with potential get you fired."  McCann was that player last year.   Willy alluded to the fact that the NHL season is a big jump from college and although Stecher is older than McCann, he isn't big.  There were a couple of occasions where he could not move people off the crease and it cost us.  I think some time in the A isn't a tragedy for him and Van can figure out what they really have with him.  I think he will do really well in Utica and prove he deserves a call up.   Hopefully he can become Van's Gostisbehere. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Mr.53 said:

I think Stecher outplayed Larsen. But I think I know what the management is thinking. Don't forget how real injuries are in this game. You need 4 or 5 solid NHL calibre defensmen on each side to get through an 82 game season and hopefully playoffs. Right now, Stecher goes down, gets top minutes, and fine tunes his game. And as soon as we need to start calling up guys, he will get a call. I suspect Pedan to be first call up for a defensive defensman need, and Stecher for if we need a PMD up. It's almost inconcievable that we finish the year all the way through with Edler, Tanev, Hutton, Gudbranson, Sbisa, Larsen to go 82 games straight with no serious injury. We will see stecher soon. Trust me.

I tend to agree with this. A bit disappointed he didn't get the call, especially with how good he looked with Edler (which may have influenced my bias a touch ::D ) but Larsen will likelier than not be injured sooner than later and we'll see him up soon enough and until then he gets big minutes, all situations in Utica.

That and this gives us more organizational depth which is never a bad thing.

21 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I tend to agree with this. A bit disappointed he didn't get the call, especially with how good he looked with Edler (which may have influenced my bias a touch ::D ) but Larsen will likelier than not be injured sooner than later and we'll see him up soon enough and until then he gets big minutes, all situations in Utica.

I almost never thought I would say that Van has some d-core prospect depth. The forward group is no where close. Because of that depth the development and management of the d-core group becomes more important. Last year Van took Hutton on more through necessity than not. Hutton could easily of have been overwhelmed by the season. He was not and he should get credit but WD and the Canuck vets should as well for supporting him.

When I talk about development and management I am thinking that Benning can make deals from some degree of strength instead of the very weak position he has had to date. If he finds he has another Hutton in his bottom 5 - 10 d-men then he might deal one for a forward gain. IMHO the org still does not have a 1C in their prospect pool. Since I do not consider the Canucks a playoff contender I expect Benning will have a top pick to make that 1C selection. Combine that with moving 1 or 2 vets this TDL and the Canucks could emerge from next years draft with all the ingredients of a CUP contender. Being a serious contender is years away but Canuck fans have to be excited tempered by patience. Instead of being overly concerned about playoffs fans should be more excited about how the youth progress towards CUP contention.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I almost never thought I would say that Van has some d-core prospect depth. The forward group is no where close. Because of that depth the development and management of the d-core group becomes more important. Last year Van took Hutton on more through necessity than not. Hutton could easily of have been overwhelmed by the season. He was not and he should get credit but WD and the Canuck vets should as well for supporting him.

When I talk about development and management I am thinking that Benning can make deals from some degree of strength instead of the very weak position he has had to date. If he finds he has another Hutton in his bottom 5 - 10 d-men then he might deal one for a forward gain. IMHO the org still does not have a 1C in their prospect pool. Since I do not consider the Canucks a playoff contender I expect Benning will have a top pick to make that 1C selection. Combine that with moving 1 or 2 vets this TDL and the Canucks could emerge from next years draft with all the ingredients of a CUP contender. Being a serious contender is years away but Canuck fans have to be excited tempered by patience. Instead of being overly concerned about playoffs fans should be more excited about how the youth progress towards CUP contention.  

Yeah I've wondered a few times out loud here lately if a package of our first pick this year, one of our D + might get us a 1C....

35 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think there was a thread a while back about Tanev + for Barkov.  That's not happening, but maybe there is a Tanev + for RNH or Draisatl?

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Larsen could easily fumble after a few weeks and we swap them regardless of injuries. I like the point Desjardins made though about not rushing Stecher and giving him some time in the AHL to get used to the schedule rather than having to do it against NHL'ers. It's something I'd brought up before as a possibility, and it should set him up for success even if we don't use the more exciting player right away.

31 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Larsen could easily fumble after a few weeks and we swap them regardless of injuries. I like the point Desjardins made though about not rushing Stecher and giving him some time in the AHL to get used to the schedule rather than having to do it against NHL'ers. It's something I'd brought up before as a possibility, and it should set him up for success even if we don't use the more exciting player right away.

It is comforting to know we have Stetcher in wings in Utica .I cannot wait till after Christmas when things heat up ,looking forward to seeing him in Vancouver after new years for sure at very least.

NEWS 1130 Sports @NEWS1130Sports 5h5 hours ago

Just talked with Troy Stecher after his 1st practise with the Utica Comets.

Stecher on getting sent down : "I was upset, I wanted to be a Canuck but I understand all that goes into it."

Stecher on what #Canucks told him : "Some really positive things but also said don't get complacent, improve all aspects of my game."

Stecher felt he could have started the year in VAN but is really looking to take advantage of Utica, work hard and get better.

Stecher : "It's a marathon and not a sprint, it's a process and if I get better I will get my chance with the #Canucks."

3 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Just talked with Troy Stecher after his 1st practise with the Utica Comets.

Stecher on getting sent down : "I was upset, I wanted to be a Canuck but I understand all that goes into it."

Stecher on what #Canucks told him : "Some really positive things but also said don't get complacent, improve all aspects of my game."

Stecher felt he could have started the year in VAN but is really looking to take advantage of Utica, work hard and get better.

Stecher : "It's a marathon and not a sprint, it's a process and if I get better I will get my chance with the #Canucks."

"[He] understands all that goes into that" tells me the kid is seriously pissed.  He knows it's more about management than who is best.  I wonder how happy he is choosing Vancouver?  

HOW WILL THIS SENDING STECHER DOWN (when he clearly deserved to make the team) EFFECT US SIGNING FUTURE COLLEGE FREE AGENTS?  They are CLEARLY going to sign elsewhere after how Troy was unfairly treated.  REALLY STUPID MOVE BY JB.  So much for forward thinking.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, logic said:

You are definitley one of the worst posters around here..

He hasn't played single meaningful AHL game let alone NHL game, there is no point in rushing Stetcner while exposing another player to waivers when we can just send him down to play #1 minutes....

and I seriously doubt he was gauranteed a spot by JB anyways.. complete overreaction.  this is actually very logical forward thinking

So future college free agents aren't going to see this unfair sending down?  It's about money.  The guys coming out of college make a lot more and a lot faster the sooner they are in the NHL.  The next group of college kids (and their agents and families) will ABSOLUTELY take Stecher's being cut (unjustified) into their decision.  It's common sense! :frantic: