The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Considering his age, will he part of the next core?  

Good question and really depends on how long it takes the Canucks to climb up the ladder once again.   However, given has relatively low miles on his NHL legs and plays the game the way the game is headed (faster and will high level of skill), he is likely possible of being a consistent contributor well into his mid 30s assuming he maintains the drive and focus he has shown the past two years.   Given that, then I believe he not only could be a part of that core but a mentor and leader to the next wave of upcoming Canucks.

Those who come into the league "easily" are not always the best examples - those who had some setbacks and still broke down the door - those are the guys that can be excellent examples to the next wave (e.g. Alex Burrows).

• Upvote 3

After watching the game last night (Beijing game), I think Sven will have a big season under Travis Green. A coach that trusts you, and deploys you to your strengths is very important for your development and Sven will get that in Green this season.

I think Baertschi and Horvat may be split up though. Despite that, I think Baertschi will have a break out season.

• Upvote 1

I've had the feeling that people were sleeping on Baertschi this summer. I've seen a lot of line proposals putting Horvat with Boeser and some other player, when he and Baertschi have shown some good chemistry in the past. Glad he's lighting it up so far this pre-season. I'd like to see the triple B line remain strong.

12 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I've had the feeling that people were sleeping on Baertschi this summer.

When the season ended last year I had him penciled in for roughly 20-25 goals and 30-35 assists this year.   That imo is completely realistic with any production over and above that a bonus. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/24/2017 at 0:53 PM, Fanuck said:

When the season ended last year I had him penciled in for roughly 20-25 goals and 30-35 assists this year.   That imo is completely realistic with any production over and above that a bonus. 

I think your assists might be slightly high there, but if he is playing with Boeser (and if Boeser continues to kill it) then I imagine that would be entirely possible.  Horvat is likely to be a bit better this year as well, and as what is effectively our first line I'm sure they'll get good ice time as well.

I really don't know what to think of Baertschi.  He's playing top minutes but honestly he's not a 1st line player and would be better playing 2nd line minutes.  We just don't have anyone for the left side so he's handed more ice time than he really SHOULD be getting.  But another offseason has passed and I expect him to continue developing as he has been.  Last season he wasn't leaps and bounds better but he seemed more physical and willing to get into the dirty areas, as well as better defensively, along with a bit more scoring.  All good stuff. I'd like to keep him around - but I just don't believe he has legit 1st line potential.

What I see in 3 years is this:
Dahlen Pettersson Boeser
Baertschi Horvat Eriksson

(Now I say this knowing full well that Boeser is likely to take the top RW spot with Baertschi and Horvat, and if that line has chemistry it would make sense not to break it up)

Edited by kloubek

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I think your assists might be slightly high there, but if he is playing with Boeser (and if Boeser continues to kill it) then I imagine that would be entirely possible.  Horvat is likely to be a bit better this year as well, and as what is effectively our first line I'm sure they'll get good ice time as well.

I really don't know what to think of Baertschi.  He's playing top minutes but honestly he's not a 1st line player and would be better playing 2nd line minutes.  We just don't have anyone for the left side so he's handed more ice time than he really SHOULD be getting.  But another offseason has passed and I expect him to continue developing as he has been.  Last season he wasn't leaps and bounds better but he seemed more physical and willing to get into the dirty areas, as well as better defensively, along with a bit more scoring.  All good stuff. I'd like to keep him around - but I just don't believe he has legit 1st line potential.

Dahlen Pettersson Boeser

(Now I say this knowing full well that Boeser is likely to take the top RW spot with Baertschi and Horvat, and if that line has chemistry it would make sense not to break it up)

What about playing Goldobin with the Twins, and Vanek with Bo and Boeser?  Then trading Baer for a pick?

50 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Dahlen Pettersson Boeser

Baer was 8th in ice time among forwards with more than 25 games.  His minutes only went up post TDL because of the injuries to Eriksson and Granlund.  Their ice time had to be distributed and the options were Shore, Chaput, Molino, Boucher etc.

Fwiw Baer is producing at the same rate as Horvat at 5v5.  He has 28 pts in 68 games (including the 2min game vs Nashville) while Horvat had 34 points in 81 games.  Same rate.  

Green told Portland media this summer that he knows Baer's game better than anyone else.  There'll be a better read this season.  

Edited by mll

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

What about playing Goldobin with the Twins, and Vanek with Bo and Boeser?  Then trading Baer for a pick?

I am not sure what to make of Vanek.  If he works out well somewhere, then great - but he's an aging guy and it remains to be seen if he even wants to stick around.  I wouldn't want to get rid of anyone this season just because of our temporary glut.

Then as far as Goldobin goes - who knows how he will turn out.  To me, he is one of our biggest wildcards.  He has obvious skill and it would make sense to try him out with the Sedins for several games, but I think it might be too early in his development so far to make any personnel changes based on Goldy.

I believe if we hold onto Baertschi that he will either prove to be a very worthwhile player for us regardless of what his ceiling is.  He plays the left side which we are weak on and I believe he is (or will be) a solid 2nd liner.  Is that something we really want to give up?

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

I am not sure what to make of Vanek.  If he works out well somewhere, then great - but he's an aging guy and it remains to be seen if he even wants to stick around.  I wouldn't want to get rid of anyone this season just because of our temporary glut.

Then as far as Goldobin goes - who knows how he will turn out.  To me, he is one of our biggest wildcards.  He has obvious skill and it would make sense to try him out with the Sedins for several games, but I think it might be too early in his development so far to make any personnel changes based on Goldy.

I believe if we hold onto Baertschi that he will either prove to be a very worthwhile player for us regardless of what his ceiling is.  He plays the left side which we are weak on and I believe he is (or will be) a solid 2nd liner.  Is that something we really want to give up?

Is Baer a second liner on a Cup competitive team?  He's a great guy.  I like him, but don't want JB to spend money or term on the guy, just before the wave of younger guys is coming up.  

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Why not?   He is a former top 1/2 first rounder who after two full seasons in NHL now looks like the real deal.   So, why not?

I'm glad you see a lot of upside in Baer.  I value your opinion.  I really like the kid, and that would be great if he becomes the player you see. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I'm glad you see a lot of upside in Baer.  I value your opinion.  I really like the kid, and that would be great if he becomes the player you see. 

I thought Vancouver got two gems from Calgary in Granlund and Baer though both trades got less than stellar reviews on CDC at the time if I recall.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is Baer a second liner on a Cup competitive team?  He's a great guy.  I like him, but don't want JB to spend money or term on the guy, just before the wave of younger guys is coming up.  

Possibly not, no.  But he does appear to have upside and is still improving so I'm hoping once he puts it all together he will be.  He really has a reasonable chance of being a good second liner.  Anything past that.... Not so convinced.

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I thought Vancouver got two gems from Calgary in Granlund and Baer though both trades got less than stellar reviews on CDC at the time if I recall.

Both showed their potential last year and both are having strong camps IMHO. I was higher on Granlund at the close of last season simply because he is more versitile. Baer is impressing me more all the time as he does not shy away from the physical battles as much and appears stronger on his skates. 

On 9/28/2017 at 7:54 AM, Boudrias said:

Both showed their potential last year and both are having strong camps IMHO. I was higher on Granlund at the close of last season simply because he is more versitile. Baer is impressing me more all the time as he does not shy away from the physical battles as much and appears stronger on his skates. 

+1.  I didn't mind the risk on Baertschi, but I thought giving up Shinkaruk for Granlund was a really bad idea.  I am happy to admit how wrong I was.

To me, it looked like Baertschi was told to round out his game better.  And as you say, he ended up looking stronger on his skates and more physical.  More defensively aware as well.  Now I think he needs to take the next step offensively.  If he continues playing with Horvat, I expect both of them to grow in that regard over last year.