The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

25 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Gaunce has put up with a lot of crap waiting for his shot....I wouldn't be surprised if he asked to be traded. Baer and Higgins are eating up his roster spot. 

These waiver/NTC things are killer for guys like Gaunce.

Request a trade? So a 2012 pick that got 31 points in his first AHL year and is playing solid in the AHL would request a trade  because he "hasn't been given a shot"? Don't worry, that's never gonna happen. And honestly Grenier looked better in his 1st nhl game so....

• Upvote 1

Gaunce got a call up and a couple of NHL games not 1 month ago and everyone's now thinking he hasn't been given a shot? What's wrong with you guys?

This is what happens when people are so obsessed with prospects they end up breathing down their necks with every minor thing that happens. I'm pretty sure a month from now, people will be saying entirely different things about him. It's just the way CDC is.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Gaunce got a call up and a couple of NHL games not 1 month ago and everyone's now thinking he hasn't been given a shot? What's wrong with you guys?

This is what happens when people are so obsessed with prospects they end up breathing down their necks with every minor thing that happens. I'm pretty sure a month from now, people will be saying entirely different things about him. It's just the way CDC is.

funny you say that, but Gaunce scored in his game against Pheniox and did nothing wrong, yet he was benched next game and then sent back down. Willie gotta willie lol

40 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

funny you say that, but Gaunce scored in his game against Pheniox and did nothing wrong, yet he was benched next game and then sent back down. Willie gotta willie lol

And it was a total fluke goal that just bounced off him. 

i love gauncer dont get me wrong but i mean its not like hes done enough in utica to say he absolutely has to be up with the nucks. its not like hes lit up the scoreboard, its not like hes some killer that has been putting guys in the second row, hes not the best two way forward on utica....so i mean he is doing good but its like hes setting the world on fire down there

8 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Gaunce has put up with a lot of crap waiting for his shot....I wouldn't be surprised if he asked to be traded. Baer and Higgins are eating up his roster spot. 

Patience, patience. His time will come, if he puts in the work. If I remember correctly, Willie had some high praise for him in this preaseason. I think there will definitely be some new holes in the roster by next season, which he'll have to compete for (again). 

Next Year is going to be ridiculous.

LW

D Sedin

Baer

Higgi

Burr

Kenins No Waivers * Maybe?

Gaunce No waivers

Shinkaruk No waivers

RW

Hansen

Virtanen No waivers

Dorsett

Grenier

Jensen

I think Gauncer can make the big club next year, but we're going to have to move 1 player at least on both wings.

13 hours ago, manroth19 said:

And it was a total fluke goal that just bounced off him. 

It was a greasy hardworking goal right in the goalies kitchen. Those are the hardest kind to score. I guess a deflection from a guy playing in front of the net on a pp must be a fluke to you as well. Coaches love those type of goals, it shows commitment and grit.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, ice orca said:

It was a greasy hardworking goal right in the goalies kitchen. Those are the hardest kind to score. I guess a deflection from a guy playing in front of the net on a pp must be a fluke to you as well. Coaches love those type of goals, it shows commitment and grit.

it went off his foot while crosschecking the defender in the back. only reason he was crosschecking him in the back was because he was late going to the net for the screen. you could almost argue that being so late getting to the net the smarter play would have been to be off the crease couple feet looking for the rebound 

19 minutes ago, manroth19 said:

it went off his foot while crosschecking the defender in the back. only reason he was crosschecking him in the back was because he was late going to the net for the screen. you could almost argue that being so late getting to the net Sothe smarter play would have been to be off the crease couple feet looking for the rebound 

Well he got the goal late or not, even the best scorers in the league have those types of ugly ones.

17 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

This is Gaunce's second year of pro hockey. This is Jensen's fourth.

Gaunce is fine playing out the year in Utica with a few call-ups. Next year I would be a bit more worried. He is also a guy who will be pegged for the fourth line, and can play both centre and wing. It will be easy to slot him in. 

Vrbata, Baertschi, Prust, Virtanen (AHL), Cracknell, all likely not in the lineup next season. Higgins can probably be moved at the deadline for a mid-round pick. 

While Jensen is in a bit of a do or die situation he has kind of sucked (at least very inconsistent). The player I am most concerned about is Grenier. He has developed nicely in our system. Consistently one of the best offensive players and is an absolute beast in terms of size. I would hate to see him lost on waivers without at least 20 games in the NHL to prove himself. 

• Upvote 1

On November 29, 2015 at 1:47:11 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

Yea waiting a year and a bit to get a shot in the NHL is a long time.... How long did Pulkinen Spend last year in the AHL even though he was almost a goal per game?

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Took Nyquist till he he was 24 I believe to make the NHL full time.

That's because Detroit has a slow development model that requires their players to spend time in the NHL

Instead, CDC is too bent on seeing the latest flashy picks make the jump to the NHL.

Must suck for Shinkaruk and Gaunce to turn on the TV and watch Virtanen eat up their spot.

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

That's because Detroit has a slow development model that requires their players to spend time in the NHL

Instead, CDC is too bent on seeing the latest flashy picks make the jump to the NHL.

Must suck for Shinkaruk and Gaunce to turn on the TV and watch Virtanen eat up their spot.

I love how people just keep forgetting that Virtanen outplayed Gaunce in the pre-season. Gaunce played well, but Jake played a little better. That's how the world works.

Perhaps we should just go back to the days of hoping for Hodgson and Schroeder. I'm sure they'd be much much better as 19 year olds right? right? :rolleyes:

On a random note, I might just take a break from these forums. This whole nitpicking of 19 year old prospects 20-25 games into the season is some of the worst fandom I've seen in a while in my opinion. We finally are getting somewhere with our prospect pool and we STILL have people going "Waaaaaaaah Virt over Gaunce! blah balh balh! I cut my naiil! WAAAAAAAAAAH!"

• Upvote 1