The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

54 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Have you ever thought that they may not be ready to handle the best players in the world yet? Or that the 2015 calder cup finalists might actually be a better place for them right now than the bottom feeding canucks? 

Yes, I have thought of that scenario.  Is this the elephant in the room from the other thread - young guys knowing that they are better players than some of our vets?  

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, I have thought of that scenario.  Is this the elephant in the room from the other thread - young guys knowing that they are better players than some of our vets?  

I dont visit that thread. This is 100% common sense. 

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are McCann and Virtanen ready for the NHL?  There is more to who s on this team than simply common sense.

No which is why imo they will be put in the AHL next year while Gaunce and Shinkaruk plus one other will be full time Nucks.  Makes for a beautiful rotation really.

• Upvote 2

On 2016-02-07 at 3:17 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

For a good laugh, people who actually understand how Gaunce plays the game should have a read through recent pages of the HF Boards Comets thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2016243&page=11

Start near the bottom of the page I linked above (see comments by "clintoncomets" user and the discussion that follows over 2-3 pages).

There was certainly a Gaunce hater on hfboards, but I think it's unfair to tarnish the board because of it.  There are going to be bad posts from bad posters in any open forum.

There have been many games in which the summaries on hfboards have been complimentary to Gaunce and many on which they haven't.  Consistency has been an issue and when he plays well it is noted and when he doesn't bring forth the effort it is noted.  That isn't something just on hfboards, but has also been noted on this thread (see UticaHockey January 15 on this thread) and the issue of Gaunce's consistency is something that also came from the mouth of Travis Green, who said in an interview on tsn1040 on January 15 which I've quoted previously:

" ... we've got to get him back to playing that quick power forward game, winning puck battles, going hard to the net, using his shot. He got away from that a little bit, that's not alarming, that's part of it, he's a 2nd year pro, took a big step over last year, from last year to this year. He's still having a very good season for us, I'm not sure of his point total. I try not to get caught up in that. I think last night I think he played close to 20 minutes for us and when he plays like he did last night he's not far away from being in the NHL, we've just got to get it so that's what he is every night, it's not play 10 good games then 5 bad ones, it's have 14 good games, then maybe have an average game and then you've got yourself a good NHL player."

The link to the intervew is http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/green-jordan-subban-has-a-chance-to-be-a-good-nhl-player-1.422944.  It was still active when I tried it a few minutes ago.

I'm happy to take Green at is word that Gaunce if consistent would be a good NHL player and that as a 2nd year pro his inconsistency isn't alarming.  Meanwhile, one should note that he HAS been inconsistent and inevitably that is going to give rise to comments on forums from those that notice, some reasonable and some much less so.

Edited by tyhee

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I meant now, not next season.  They are both playing really well, yet they aren't getting opportunity - even with guys out due to injury - to come up.  Why are they not up here?

There were no roster spots available.  With SUtter injured now, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them, or Grenier or Zalewski get called up.  

JB has already said that he wants his young players to over ripen in the AHL for at least a couple of seasons, the exceptions being McCann/Virt not being AHL eligible.   No doubt these kids are going to come into training camp gunning for a roster spot.  You want to keep them motivated.

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

No which is why imo they will be put in the AHL next year while Gaunce and Shinkaruk plus one other will be full time Nucks.  Makes for a beautiful rotation really.

maybe.  Both would have to take a major step backwards to get sent to the Comets IMO.  Personally, I think JB wants to keep a close eye/control their 'enviroment' with the big team to accelerate how they develop.  McCann doesn't necessarily need to play every game in the AHL either.  Spotting him in NHL games and off ice work outs are exactly what he needs right now.

If we really sell at the end of this month, I think Gaunce gets a good look before the end of the season.

I think they really want Utica to make the playoffs this year and give these guys a better look under playoff pressure, but I can see him getting a 5 or 6 game look.

Gaunce has grown tremendously this year. My favourite Comet by far. He plays such an honest game, has all the right habits, and some skill to throw on top of it all + a very likeable hockey body frame.

Definitely a player who will find success at the NHL level because of these things. Pretty much a Swiss Army knife who can play any forward position and contribute in every phase of the game. Hope to see him as a Canuck regular in 2 years time if not next season (expect him to be a primary callup option if he doesn't make the team out of camp in training camp). 

Edited by TheRussianRocket.
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

Been on fire lately. Good to see.

May be the nail in Burr's trade/buyout coffin this summer...

I think Burrows stays until his contract is finished, unless he is traded. He hasn't completely fallen off a cliff like Higgins and Prust did this season.

I would hope the Lineup would look something like this

Sedins-Hansen

Baertschi-Horvat-UFA

Shinkaruk-Sutter-Virtanen

Burrows-McCann/Gaunce-Dorsett

Grenier, Etem (I think he is waivers eligible next year)/Etem (I think he has done well enough to earn a "Baertschi" contract. IE a 1 year show us what you got contract)

Edited by Gstank29

On February 18, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Gstank29 said:

I think Burrows stays until his contract is finished, unless he is traded. He hasn't completely fallen off a cliff like Higgins and Prust did this season.

I would hope the Lineup would look something like this

Sedins-Hansen

Baertschi-Horvat-UFA

Shinkaruk-Sutter-Virtanen

Burrows-McCann/Gaunce-Dorsett

Grenier, Etem (I think he is waivers eligible next year)/Etem (I think he has done well enough to earn a "Baertschi" contract. IE a 1 year show us what you got contract)

I think we all would love to see Gaunce and Shinkaruk on the big club, but I don't trust JB.  What if JB trades one, or both?  Don't they both deserve to be up here already?