The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

21 minutes ago, Yotes said:

so add more 2way players, and lose pure offense which just so happens to be an area we need? Dont we have alot more 2way players than scorers?

I'm not defending the trade lol. Just pointing out acquiring Granlund doesn't mean Gaunce is gone too.  

2 hours ago, Jiggs50 said:

Disagree. Gaunce is 6'2 and can play wing and center. Brings a different skill set. 

Granlund is Vey's replacement imo

Gaunce has something like 30 odd pounds on him too. I'm not sure how people are making the connection. 

positive he's going, Gallagher refered to him on team1040, eg Canucks shopping Gaunce, lol why well the excuse will be he is too small or he doesn't know how to play defence, something interesting management will make up or Weisbro might cry again and say he doesn't like him. Won't be surprised a single bit after you hear Gaunces name for another weak prospect. This year Benning is gambling the prospects before he was gambling the 2nd rounders, he's moving up the ranks! lol next year he will be gambling away our 1st rounders, way it go Benning keep it up!

12 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

positive he's going, Gallagher refered to him on team1040, eg Canucks shopping Gaunce, lol why well the excuse will be he is too small or he doesn't know how to play defence, something interesting management will make up or Weisbro might cry again and say he doesn't like him. Won't be surprised a single bit after you hear Gaunces name for another weak prospect. This year Benning is gambling the prospects before he was gambling the 2nd rounders, he's moving up the ranks! lol next year he will be gambling away our 1st rounders, way it go Benning keep it up!

Yet I'm the troll. What an interesting time we live in.

51 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

interesting indeed. with Benning running the ship who knows where this team will go. we certainly aren't good enough. but management still want to be buyers and making the playoffs for a first round sweep! yay to mediocrity. 

this city deserves better. somehow management thinks the fans of this city are dumb.

i wonder too. this is Benning's first go around at a GM position. wonder if these decisions down the road will be seen as a result of his inexperience. 

Jim Benning on Shinkaruk and Gaunce. “The thing he likes to do is he likes to go to the net and score. But there are other parts of his game – like, an example, Brendan Gaunce maybe doesn’t have the offensive skill set like Hunter but all the details in his game are there so when we call (Gaunce) up, he can adjust to the pro game and help our team win.”

http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouver/2016/02/22/canucks-reportedly-trade-hunter-shinkaruk-to-calgary.html

Gaunce is a completely different player compared to Shinkaruk. If you've been watching Utica games after Vey was called up, Gaunce has been one of their best performers in all situations, on the pp and pk, trying to protect leads in the last minutes and breaking ties. He's been Green's go to guy. Green called him Utica's most improved player last year, he had a better pre-season and was called up before Shinkaruk. 

It sucks to lose Shinkaruk for Grandlund, a player we arguably don't need. But to suggest that Gaunce will also be moved as well just doesn't line up with what management has been saying about him. If Vey hadn't been acquired and played a whole season with the team, Gaunce probably would have gotten the call when Sutter went down. 

• Upvote 3

If anything this bumps Gaunce to the front of the Utica Comets depth chart for forwards. He has quietly had a great year for the Comets while Shinkaruk has gotten all the hype.

Hunter Shinkaruk had 11 even strength goals, Gaunce has 11 even strength goals, and 2 shorties. In less games. Maybe he likes Gaunce enough to think he fits the role with the Canucks, which is going to be 3rd line and PK duties, better than Hunter would have.

whether we'd like to accept it or not, Gaunce is the prototype and hunter is not.  after time to digest the trade, it's clear JB is building a team to compete against LA and Anaheim.  Stylistically, Brendan is the model of what will be added to the roster in the next couple seasons.  once the Sedins are gone the Shinkaruk type of players will be targeted for acquisition.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, wshdrvvn said:

whether we'd like to accept it or not, Gaunce is the prototype and hunter is not.  after time to digest the trade, it's clear JB is building a team to compete against LA and Anaheim.  Stylistically, Brendan is the model of what will be added to the roster in the next couple seasons.  once the Sedins are gone the Shinkaruk type of players will be targeted for acquisition.

IMHO the fans on here are totally ignoring where this team will be when the Twins quit. That could easily be within 2 years either by choice or by injury. The Granlund trade was a safer option than keeping Shinkaruk in hopes that he could translate his game to the NHL. Gaunce has actually outplayed Shinkaruk this year IMO and I expect him to make the Canucks next year.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

not trolling, just a hurt fan who has come to realization our management is bunch of ego driven maniacs. Just wait until TDL passes, you will see. 

I was always told by friends who aren't Canuck fans that our management fails to appreciate real skill, and they continue to draft two way guys. I always debated with them, saying we got Hunter Shinkurak. LOL boy oh boy.

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******

37 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

not trolling, just a hurt fan who has come to realization our management is bunch of ego driven maniacs. Just wait until TDL passes, you will see. 

I was always told by friends who aren't Canuck fans that our management fails to appreciate real skill, and they continue to draft two way guys. I always debated with them, saying we got Hunter Shinkurak. LOL boy oh boy.

That time of the month huh? Hang in there!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, wshdrvvn said:

Except there's the plan for Rodin, so they're still exploring that option. Gaunce is more of the 'safe as houses' kind of option though, particularly with at least Higgins and Prust leaving, but possibly also Burrows.

14 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Who hurt you?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

you are my entertainment daily. thank you 

• Upvote 1