The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

I wonder if they were holding off on the call up announcement to see if Gaunce got eliminated tonight or not.

Would make sense if he's included in the call ups tomorrow.

They will probably ask him to come to Vancouver to join the other prospects and have the feel of what it's like to be in the playoffs, and hopefully the finals :bigblush: .

The NHL is another animal, why else do you think a lot of 1st rounders who dominate the CHL cant even crack an NHL lineup after 4 years....

NHL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CHL

See Frank Corrado.

Don't underestimate young players coming in from the OHL and having an impact.

I don't think there's any chance Gaunce sees any games. But it's not impossible. I seem to recall people slotting Cody Hodgson into the Canucks lineup as a 19 year old. And Gaunce has a leg up on him at that age because he's more suited for a bottom 6 role.

Again unlikely, but not impossible. I say he at least gets a call up.

Wow, some people here are delusional! I like the Gaunce as much as the next guy, i think he can be a solid, Jordan Staal type of player, BUT to say he is better than Ebbett just shows how uneducated some people are.

OHL is about 100000000x crappier than the NHL. ..Trust me i dont think much of Andrew Ebbett, i think he is 4th line plug, but if he played in the OHL right now he would have 45 pts in 18 games.

Yes Gaunce did very well in the OHL but there is no way on earth is he ready for the NHL.. He is probably at best 2-3 years away at best. Do not rush him, let him get stronger and let his skating get better.

The NHL is another animal, why else do you think a lot of 1st rounders who dominate the CHL cant even crack an NHL lineup after 4 years....

NHL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CHL

How wrong you are. There has been many players coming out of CHL and slotting into NHL line-ups regardless of when they were drafted. Mostly entirely up to the individual how much he progresses. Every situation is different. Some players "get it" snd understand their roles quicker than others. Corrodo being a recent example. Not calling him the next Orr bt in his cup of coffee here, he hasnt "dominated " but he hasnt crap the bed either.

As for Gaunce, it truely wouldnt break my heart if they sent him down for another year, but if he can come here, practice with black aces, take his new found knowledge back to Gary Roberts training camp while also working with Gagner, I see a possibility he is in this roster come October.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I wish it wasn't the playoffs, but I'd give him one game, he couldn't be worse than Ebbett.

Gaunce looks like he'll be good defensively (which we'll need in the playoffs) and he's big, like 6'2" 210lbs or something? I don't expect him to score much, so just the fact that he's bigger and if he can be defensively responsible that alone makes him an improvement over Ebbett.

I can't count the times I've seen Ebbett try and check someone off the puck only to bounce off uselessly...

Trust me i dont think much of Andrew Ebbett, i think he is 4th line plug, but if he played in the OHL right now he would have 45 pts in 18 games.

It's not all about points, Ebbett is small and useless. I don't hate all small guys either, Roy is small but you wouldn't know it watching him play. Gallagher is small but that kids got a fire in him. Ebbett is complelty useless physically and we need physical 3rd/4rth line centers likes Lappy/Gaunce for the playoffs.

He might dissapoint and be completely useless out there but like I said I'd be willing to give him one game because unless you try you'll never know.

Edited by Gumballthechewy

If he's been called up, its to soak up everything he can about NHL level playoff hockey. Every year they pull up their top prospects to practice with the team for experience and to absorb everything they can. If he plays, it will be due to injuries to the current group.

Never hurts to have him prepared just in case!

As mentioned, Gaunce is on his way!

News1130 Sports@News1130Sports

#Canucks #1 draft pick Brendan Gaunce is on his way to Vancouver after his team lost game 7 last night in #OHL playoffs.

Just talked with #Canucks #1 draft pick Brendan Gaunce who is looking forward to joining the Canucks this week.

Gaunce wants to practice with the #Canucks and watch the pro's. See what it takes to play in the NHL playoffs.

Despite a long OHL playoff run, Gaunce says he is healthy despite some bumps and bruises.

Let's go to the tape. Does this look like a player who can have an impact in the NHL in short order? I'm going with yes.

The biggest thing that jumps out at me in this video is his quick release of the puck. People can knock him not being in the NHL yet, but that is a skill that translates really well in this league. It's the roamers who don't have strong puck possession and stick handling skills that don't make it. I say put him on a wing and see how he does for a game. Having someone there who is in the playoff mindset would be very good energy for this team.

That shot seems pretty NHL deadly, it's nice to see those power play situations where it doesn't seem like they'll get a chance for the shot on goal he picks that top left corner very well or the left side very well. I think he should have at least a chance on the 2nd line power play or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

MIke Gillis did mention he will use younger players. But unlikely someone who is just 1 year out of his draft year.

Corrado and Saad are two examples. Tom Wilson is playing right now for the Capitals in the playoffs.

If you're physically ready and there's a spot, you can play.

Corrado and Saad are two examples. Tom Wilson is playing right now for the Capitals in the playoffs.

If you're physically ready and there's a spot, you can play.

Yup, this kid gets a decent look.