The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

31 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Possible.

I think their strength at goal tending and defending will prevent that even if they have trouble scoring. Sure hope they stay in the hunt and just miss, muhahahaha

Because the pick is only protected for the top 12, they not only have to miss, but miss by a fair bit for the pick to go to next year, right? Just missing would land them somewhere around 13-16 which would be our pick.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone else surprised now that Bo signed his big contract his production has almost halved?  

That big payday can sure be a motivator but not sustainable at any rate for a player punching above his weight (pun not intended… especially for Horvat ;) )

Also goes to show that maybe there was a little bit of a classic Anson Carter situation going on with the chronically underachieving talent here in Van.

Couldn’t be happier now with what we got in return. Hopefully scouting doesn’t fck up the pick. 

• There it is 1

5 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

Anyone else surprised now that Bo signed his big contract his production has almost halved?  

That big payday can sure be a motivator but not sustainable at any rate for a player punching above his weight (pun not intended… especially for Horvat ;) )

Also goes to show that maybe there was a little bit of a classic Anson Carter situation going on with the chronically underachieving talent here in Van.

Couldn’t be happier now with what we got in return. Hopefully scouting doesn’t fck up the pick. 

Hate to break it to you, but we traded the pick as part of the deal that landed Hronek.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Hate to break it to you, but we traded the pick as part of the deal that landed Hronek.

Damn. I haven’t been following Canucks anymore, and team tank is back off the table I see. They would just rather let a BC generational stud in Bedard go to a sunbelt team in the US who doesn’t give a shit about hockey… this team train wreck is painful to watch. 

• RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

Damn. I haven’t been following Canucks anymore, and team tank is back off the table I see. They would just rather let a BC generational stud in Bedard go to a sunbelt team in the US who doesn’t give a shit about hockey… this team train wreck is painful to watch. 

To be fair, there was almost no chance the Isles pick became Bedard. Still, yes, they chose to invest in a 25 year old #2/3 RHD rather than a much younger, though less certain thing in a mid-round 1st.

52 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

To be fair, there was almost no chance the Isles pick became Bedard. Still, yes, they chose to invest in a 25 year old #2/3 RHD rather than a much younger, though less certain thing in a mid-round 1st.

Agree, the pick is protected so it was impossible for it to turn into Bedard. But team tank for Bedard could turn into a #1 pick for Van. Unless we traded away our 2023 frst round pick and im unaware of it. 

• RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, ABNucksfan said:

Agree, the pick is protected so it was impossible for it to turn into Bedard. But team tank for Bedard could turn into a #1 pick for Van. Unless we traded away our 2023 frst round pick and im unaware of it. 

Nah, we still have that pick, but stronger play against weaker teams as of late will likely secure our fate outside of the top 5 picks this year.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

5 goals and 10 points in 22 games as an Islander.  That isn't even a pace for 20 goals over a whole season.

Well, yeah, but at least he’s hitting lots and standing up for teammates. Oh, wait… never mind.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • elephant 1

7 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

Seems a bit unfair to Bo as he seems to bring a lot of his presence and F/O to the team and with Barzal being injured, he doesnt'have a good player to play with.

In 23 games with the NY Islanders: Bo has 6 goals and 5 assists. (3G and 4A in last 15 games) He is -6. 69 shots on goal. Shooting %age of 8.7% He has 15 hits, he has won 260 face-offs of 437 taken for a %age of 59.5%. Averaging 21 to 23 minutes a night. 

He is not scoring, he is not setting up linemates, he is not very engaged physically, he is not driving play and he is not a tenacious forechecker. He is winning faceoffs better than most in the league. On balance, I would say he is not a first line NHL centre but he is sure going to be paid as one. To say that he doesn't have a good player to play doesn't excuse his lacklustre play since going to New York.

By way of comparison, management decided to keep Miller over Horvat. Since Bo was traded, JT has also played 23 games. He has 11 goals and 18 assists. He is +8.

Shooting %age of 16.92%. He has 67 hits, he has won 272 faceoffs of 471 taken for a %age of 57.75%. Averaging 22-23 minutes per night.

I believe the Canucks made the right choice.

• Vintage 1

13-6-4 (0.65%)

That's the Islander's record since trading for Bo, and that includes most games without their top scorer Barzal.

Before the trade they were 25-22-5 (0.53%)

They haven't really made any other significant moves apart from Engvall who's pretty average anyway (4 goals in 11 games) as a tertiary guy.

Say what you want about his lack of scoring, this trade has boosted the Islanders. Who knows, maybe it's just a coincidence, but the stats don't lie. The Isles have been playing like a top-8 team points %-wise since Bo arrived, I don't think it's a coincidence. He rounds out that team so well and fits their style of play perfectly. When you look at Cup winners like Ryan O'Reilly, Toews and Bergeron, there's plenty of two-way centers who didn't score as much as guys like McDavid etc., were at times scoring at 60-point paces, but they defended better than the offensive guys and won. That's the Islander's way of thinking right now. Maybe it's a bit out-dated, but it's working for them.

Everyone, even Isles fans, were ripping Lou for the deal, but the proof is in the pudding. Bo has transformed that team and doing so without Barzal is insane. Who knows how bad they would have been without Bo, but they were chumming along at 0.500 before the Barzal injury, surely they'd dip out of the playoffs. Bo coming in has shutdown opposing team's top lines and freed up everyone else to score.

I'd pay 8.5M for that change in winning percentage any day. I don't care if Bo goes the rest of the season and doesn't score a goal, he's making the rest of his team much better.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/better-than-vancouver-bo-horvat-canucks

you can all take his twinky out of your mouths. Horvat made bank and doesn't care.  Clearly he’s about the money. Soft as butter and stuck on a team that is in its twilight. Good luck Islanders, Horvat is the next Loui Eriksson 

Bo “little things” Horfat Wallet. 

• Haha 2
  • There it is 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

Surprised this hasn't blown up on CDC. Is there another post I missed?

It sounds like he's dissing our fans, but he's actually dissing the fact they our team didn't see much playoff action during his tenure here. Which is probably somewhat fair- though he WAS an integral part of those teams, so....

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bo “little things” Horfat Wallet. 

He had no needs to add the comments he did, showed his class right there. I've heard a couple of players saying how it's a pleasure once again to come to the rink and now we know why. It's also clear why JR/PA decided to keep Miller and get rid of Horvat, fans it's a new era, better to have  a Miller and Kuzmenko that a disgruntled Horvat :gocan:

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Surprised this hasn't blown up on CDC. Is there another post I missed?

It sounds like he's dissing our fans, but he's actually dissing the fact they our team didn't see much playoff action during his tenure here. Which is probably somewhat fair- though he WAS an integral part of those teams, so....

Sounds like that to me as well.  Hopefully there will come a day when Canuck fans will not be so sensitive

to perceived criticism of our team.  It's so not worth getting so butt hurt over it.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The question was also a bit of a set-up.  I mean, what other playoff experience is he going to draw from to answer the question?  Juniors?

"The excitement in this building and the fan involvement". Could've been a simple answer that didn't throw shade on any one group of fans. More celebrate all fans. We've been great fans here....he's just pandering and it was kind of swarmy to me. 

If he had nothing to draw from that was on him (too). But sure, the fans were the problem and he's slaying it now that he's got real support. Right? (I don't know, I stopped caring awhile ago when he wanted $$ and we had Miller signed on. Whew).

• Upvote 1
  • elephant 1

26 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Sounds like that to me as well.  Hopefully there will come a day when Canuck fans will not be so sensitive

to perceived criticism of our team.  It's so not worth getting so butt hurt over it.

Bo, that you?

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1
  • There it is 1