The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I may be among the least optimistic about his game tonight, though like pretty much everyone I am optimistic for the future.

He's been quoted as saying he didn't sleep well last night. He's about to play at altitude. He's yet to show he can score or win faceoffs at the NHL level.

I'd consider it an acceptable initiation if he works hard throughout the game, plays a sound defensive game and wins 40% of his faceoffs. Anything more would be a bonus. The 40% for faceoffs is what Vey has averaged the first 12 games this season.

I'm thinking the same thing. As long as he is responsible defensively and doesn't get absolutely smoked in the dot, I think that's a pretty good first-NHL-game.

Don't know if everyone here have seen this, or posted it, but Travis Green talks about Horvat's play in the AHL, and more.

Also interviews with Markstrom and Shinkaruk.

starts 5:52 into the clip

There's a guy who actually knows what he's talking about when it comes to AHL numbers.

People who don't understand how hockey works should learn from what he's saying.

• Upvote 1

Next game lineup forwards

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Higgins-Bonino-Vey too good to breakup Vey and Bonion showed instant chemistry with their play making ability.

Matthias-Richardson-Kassian grind line need their size and girt against California teams

Dorsett-Horvat-Burrows 4th line with actual skill to score.

Hansen scratched.

^ I think he deserves a bit more credit than that. He seemed to be around the net quite a bit, and I still think he got the goal that was credited to Dorsett.

he hinted in his post game interview he did get it. he said he celbrated like it, and hes a smart guy. he scored it

^ I think he deserves a bit more credit than that. He seemed to be around the net quite a bit, and I still think he got the goal that was credited to Dorsett.

Horvat told Bonino that the puck missed him narrowly on its way to the net. Bonino was asked about the goal in a post-game interview with TSN1040.

Came back to ask if anyone remembers that slick backhand pass Horvat made to Hansen(?). He was behind the net with an Avs player checking him and he flipped the puck back to the front of the net where one of Hansen or Dorsett got a stick on it. It was a sweet feed but I'm not sure anyone has video or a GIF of it.

I remember at least a couple of good feeds - showing some offensive iq. I'm loving the composure he's showing. Also took a defensive draw when we were up one IIRC. Early trust from the coach. Definitely earned another game.

Whether or not he sticks with the team this year, it was great to see him look so comfortable and do well in the faceoff circle. He had a few good chances, played a simple game, looked like he could keep up with the NHL pace. Can't really complain about that to start off your career.

Even if he gets sent back to Jr. after a few games here, it's awesome to see him get some NHL action. You can tell he's very strong and has a good nose for the net, which is great to see.

Unrelated, it's great to see Vey, Bonino, and Dorsett doing well. I know it's early, but it's great to see a team playing with very little quit in them. Hopefully they can keep it up all season. And even if they don't make the playoffs, I think things are looking brighter moving forward.

Looks like I win this round Plum :P

I'm actually almost more interested to see what Vey can do with this opportunity than watching Horvat have a solid but likely quiet first game.

Yeah your was more accurate. I didn't really expect the 4th line to get alot done offensively with Horvat replacing Vey there. Matthias played on with Richardson and Kassian, that was a solid line so I have a hard time seeing Matthias scratched but he might because of our depth. Hansen is probably another one who'll be considered to be scratched.

When Burrows comes back that's when things will become even more interesting, my guess is:

Higgins - Bonino - Burrows

Matthias - Richardson - Kassian

Dorsett - Horvat - Vey

Hansen

The organizational depth we have now is really good compared to previous years, say we hit 2-3 injuries we have Jensen, Gaunce, Shinkaruk to call-up and even O'Reilly, Zalewski, Jeffrey and Lain who can fill in on the bottom 6.

Edited by Plum

Yeah your was more accurate. I didn't really expect the 4th line to get alot done offensively with Horvat replacing Vey there. Matthias played on with Richardson and Kassian, that was a solid line so I have a hard time seeing Matthias scratched but he might because of our depth. Hansen is probably another one who'll be considered to be scratched.

When Burrows comes back that's when things will become even more interesting, my guess is:

Higgins - Bonino - Burrows

Matthias - Richardson - Kassian

Dorsett - Horvat - Vey

Hansen

The organizational depth we have now is really good compared to previous years, say we hit 2-3 injuries we have Jensen, Gaunce, Shinkaruk to call-up and even O'Reilly, Zalewski, Jeffrey and Lain who can fill in on the bottom 6.

Not to mention the couple of kids in the 'Zoo (probably not what they call it there) who are playing well so far for the Wings. Allows Utica players to get called up to the NHL without really destroying the talent on their own roster.

If this is how he plays nervous and sleep deprived I can't wait to see how he is when he settles down

I think we shold make room for him but sitting a roster regular doesn't seem the best route. I think Benning needs to make a move. Shore up the defense or secure a pick

Edited by TimberWolf

If this is how he plays nervous and sleep deprived I can't wait to see how he is when he settles down

I think we shold make room for him but sitting a roster regular doesn't seem the best route. I think Benning needs to make a move. Shore up the defense or secure a pick

I say sit down Hansen a couple of games and let Horvat experience playing against some of the best teams in the league in California then reevaluate how he did after the trip and either if he plays great make a move to free up space or tell him he had his taste and go back to junior to play with his buddy Max Domi who got named Captain with Bo missing.

Shawn Matthias has 2 assist in 12 games, if Bo can match him defensively, why would he be more of an offensive liability than him??

We know Bo will likely just get better offensively, while Matthias that's pretty much it.

Matthias had a slow start but he's picking it up now.

I would say that saying no points in your first 5 pro games is proof you're not ready is proof that you really have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. For the record only 4 forwards had more than 2 points over that timespan and 3 of them had only 1. I guess we got 8 guys that are pretty much useless at the NHL level in our line-up already.

Some of the Canucks had slow starts and are now picking it up, thus the 'do we only have 1 line?' threads started early in the year. Richardson, Matthias, Kassian, and Dorsett are now playing well, to add onto Henrik, Daniel, Vrbata, Bonino, and Vey who started the year decently. Horvat is going to have to prove that he can put up more points than the average of the guy he replaces. We're not Chicago nor Pittsburg, we don't have the benefit of taking away firepower for the sake of our young guns, at least not this season anyway.

I never said anything of the sort.

The fact is, until we see him play a few NHL games with NHL structure, NHL line mates, NHL coaching etc we don't actually know what he can do at the NHL level.

Assumptions.

He might show he's not ready and be sent back to Jr. or he might surprise everyone and be better than projected or what his stint in the AHL might have suggested.

I would caution anyone from judging his AHL faceoff prowess (or lack thereof) on whether it translates to the NHL as well. He's coming off a shoulder injury that's bound to affect his ability to win draws. Healing from that and working with/against NHL players coaches and the likelihood of him naturally improving from his current starting point is likely to improve that. Greene did specifically mention how much he progressed in one week in the AHL and coming off an injury. Just saying.

Regardless, we wait for 6pm. We'll see what he can/can't do soon enough.

Giving him NHL coaching is not gonna catapult his game. Rather, his slowish start in the AHL was nothing out of the ordinary when a rookie steps into a higher league. While his game today was nice in the face off department, he still has to maintain that over a larger stretch as well as put up some points to justify sending down the guy he's replacing (with Burrows coming back, possibly Matthias?).

As for Green's comments, did you really expect him to publicly criticize him just before getting sent back to the Canucks?

Edited by guntrix