The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I have a feeling the Horvat camp is waiting what Edmonton does with McDavid and Draisaitl before they make a move. 

At this point I think Horvat is getting a little above 6 Million 

6.25x8?  A nice round number of 50 million?  

11 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I have a feeling the Horvat McDavid and Draisaitl camps are waiting what Edmonton Vancouver does with McDavid and Draisaitl Horvat before they make a move. 

At this point I think Horvat is getting a little above 6 Million 

Fixed it for you....:lol:

• Upvote 1

Most players like this seem to go for a 6x6 deal. Horvat probably deserves it, but I bet they're waiting to see what Draisaitl gets. McDavid getting around 12-13M, Draisaitl at 8-9M and Horvat then deserves about 6-7M. Crazy to think that two Horvats makes one McDavid, but I suppose points-wise that's exactly correct.

I'd be happy with 8 years at 6M and all sorts of no trade clauses. Takes him to 30 years old and hopefully just after his prime.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

These big contracts to Marleau and Kuznetsov make me worry that Bo's camp is going to ask for more, and rightly so. According to these signings, Horvat deserves around 7-8M. Smart move by his agent to wait it out a bit longer.

Marleau's deal is nuts and a vast overpayment IMO. I'd say that Kuznetsov is (arguably) a better player that Bo. I'm hoping that Bo still settles for less than $7M. 

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎26 at 4:54 PM, iinatcc said:

If the fans and the media think Horvat is the future captain of the team then his value is very high. And in the professional world if you are good at something always make sure you are getting paid your worth. 

Also keep in mind Horvat's agent also gets a cut so its also in the agents best interest for Horvat to get the best possible deal. 

Although I believe Bo will be a "Linden" type leader for the team I don't think he will be getting the money some of the leagues leading point getters are getting. He hasn't shown that #1 Center dominance yet and his numbers do not indicate it so far. I am one of Bo's biggest fans but not sure I see him making more than 5-6 million per so far. He has made great strides in developing into a regular NHLer and I am hoping he can continue to improve on his offensive skills.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

These big contracts to Marleau and Kuznetsov make me worry that Bo's camp is going to ask for more, and rightly so. According to these signings, Horvat deserves around 7-8M. Smart move by his agent to wait it out a bit longer.

I don't think Horvat deserves 7-8 million yet. As much as I love this player, I think you are too high on him. I think with the body of work that he has put on display so far, he is probably worth around 5.5, and at most 6 on a long term deal and around 4 mil on a shorter bridge type deal.

Kuznetsov put up 77 pts in 82 games, showing high offensive output that he is capable of, which explains the money. Horvat had 52 points this season, and we don't know how high he can go in terms of offence. We hope it's 70 points but no one knows. Horvat's camp will have to somehow argue that Horvat is capable of Kuznetsov type number without Horvat ever having such a season under his belt. it's going to be a tough for them to build a convincing case as Canucks can always say that there is a risk that Horvat's production may plateau between 50-60 pts and point out that Kuznetsov has actually achieved 77 pts on season, to invalidate any Horvat to Kuznetsov comparison that Horvat's agent will bring it up.

Marleau is at a different stage in his career from Horvat and he was a UFA. It's pretty easy to break down any comparison that they bring forward regarding Marleau but if in fact, what they ask for is around 6M for 8 years, then I think that's not a bad deal for the Canucks so they should take it. 6M will not be much in 3 to 4 years from now.

If Horvat goes on to score 60+ points next season, then he will for sure get 7-8 mil. So, from Horvat's side, it might be a good idea to take a bridge deal at lower AAV of around 4 mil to prove that he is capable of 60+ points once he is given more offensive opportunities. And then, go for long term deal between 7-8 mil. If Horvat doesn't put up 60+ points next season, they can still go for long term deal at around 5.5-6 mil. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Hectic said:

Drouin was drafted in the same year and has a higher PPG than Horvat. He signed for 6 x 5.5M.

I think it's only fitting that Bo goes for 6 x 5.3M

But Bo kills penalties and takes faceoffs, and can play physically. I think they're worth about the same amount. 5.5 x 6 years is perfect, great value for us, but realistically as he's the future face of the franchise and knows it, Horvat could easily get 6x6M.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, khay said:

I don't think Horvat deserves 7-8 million yet. As much as I love this player, I think you are too high on him. I think with the body of work that he has put on display so far, he is probably worth around 5.5, and at most 6 on a long term deal and around 4 mil on a shorter bridge type deal.

Kuznetsov put up 77 pts in 82 games, showing high offensive output that he is capable of, which explains the money. Horvat had 52 points this season, and we don't know how high he can go in terms of offence. We hope it's 70 points but no one knows. Horvat's camp will have to somehow argue that Horvat is capable of Kuznetsov type number without Horvat ever having such a season under his belt. it's going to be a tough for them to build a convincing case as Canucks can always say that there is a risk that Horvat's production may plateau between 50-60 pts and point out that Kuznetsov has actually achieved 77 pts on season, to invalidate any Horvat to Kuznetsov comparison that Horvat's agent will bring it up.

Marleau is at a different stage in his career from Horvat and he was a UFA. It's pretty easy to break down any comparison that they bring forward regarding Marleau but if in fact, what they ask for is around 6M for 8 years, then I think that's not a bad deal for the Canucks so they should take it. 6M will not be much in 3 to 4 years from now.

If Horvat goes on to score 60+ points next season, then he will for sure get 7-8 mil. So, from Horvat's side, it might be a good idea to take a bridge deal at lower AAV of around 4 mil to prove that he is capable of 60+ points once he is given more offensive opportunities. And then, go for long term deal between 7-8 mil. If Horvat doesn't put up 60+ points next season, they can still go for long term deal at around 5.5-6 mil. 

Last year was the first that Horvat showed fair consistency throughout the season. That should not equate into a huge $ and lengthy contract. A bridge deal with bonuses should be the desired route.   

13 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

But Bo kills penalties and takes faceoffs, and can play physically. I think they're worth about the same amount. 5.5 x 6 years is perfect, great value for us, but realistically as he's the future face of the franchise and knows it, Horvat could easily get 6x6M.

I think you are over exaggerating physical play. Yes he does not mind getting to the gritty areas but he has not shown a physical presence. I am pretty sure Drouin takes face offs too. A bridge deal might be in order to establish his full potential.

19 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I think you are over exaggerating physical play. Yes he does not mind getting to the gritty areas but he has not shown a physical presence. I am pretty sure Drouin takes face offs too. A bridge deal might be in order to establish his full potential.

We haven't seen Bo be intentionally physical too much, but his size at 223 lbs and his power moves imply that he could be physical if he wanted to. If I'm not mistaken, Benning made it clear that they are looking to give Bo a long-term deal, not a bridge deal.

On the Drouin note, he had a 43.64% faceoff rate last year, so he does take faceoffs, just not very well.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

We haven't seen Bo be intentionally physical too much, but his size at 223 lbs and his power moves imply that he could be physical if he wanted to. If I'm not mistaken, Benning made it clear that they are looking to give Bo a long-term deal, not a bridge deal.

On the Drouin note, he had a 43.64% faceoff rate last year, so he does take faceoffs, just not very well.

I am sure ALL of the stats will be scrutinized and probably against more then one other player(Drouin). A lot of things can be "implied" but if a long term contract is being looked at then "Real" tangible stats will probably have more value. His play along the boards and success on the PP is still a work in progress. Next year will be when we see that "next step" or not and if he can play more minutes that the Sedins traditional eat up.

I think that if we have seen the best of Bo that his worth would be about the 5 to 5.5m mark.  But I think we can all agree that we believe he will continue to improve, and that is going to be factored into what he ends up getting.  That's why I like bridge deals - less risk for the team, and more opportunity for the player to get what they are worth.  Win win.

I say he asks for 5 years, 7.5m, and ends up getting 6.5m.

On 6/26/2017 at 4:02 PM, AllWeatherFan said:

Just extended a QO to Horvat. 

I fully expect that we'll get him signed but I am a little disappointed that it's come down to this.

What are you talking about?  Come down to what?   He is still under contract.   There is no "must do this now" at all.   His agent could be on a fishing trip.   There is nothing "coming down to" at all.   Suspect they are close but have either final tweaks on term or even movement clauses or similar.   This is an important contact to both the player and the Canucks but they have no urgency here at all.   

Don't create false drama.

19 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What are you talking about?  Come down to what?   He is still under contract.   There is no "must do this now" at all.   His agent could be on a fishing trip.   There is nothing "coming down to" at all.   Suspect they are close but have either final tweaks on term or even movement clauses or similar.   This is an important contact to both the player and the Canucks but they have no urgency here at all.   

Don't create false drama.

Came off more dramatic than intended. 

Just meant that I was hoping his signing would be done right away - before free agency.