The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

18 hours ago, goog16 said:

We're lucky to have Bo,I think when this team makes the playoffs in the years to come he will shine!!!

Part of me is really disappointed that Bo might not get a chance to taste playoff hockey this year in his first year as the captain mainly because I don't think we saw the very best from him as of yet this season. 

He seemed to be really rounding into form in the last few weeks before the season came to a halt. 

Bo turns 25 this year, lowkey fear of mine is that possibility of wasting away some of his prime productive years and haven't made the post season yet.  Takes a few kicks at the can to fully learn what the nature of the post season is like. 

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Part of me is really disappointed that Bo might not get a chance to taste playoff hockey this year in his first year as the captain mainly because I don't think we saw the very best from him as of yet this season. 

He seemed to be really rounding into form in the last few weeks before the season came to a halt. 

Bo turns 25 this year, lowkey fear of mine is that possibility of wasting away some of his prime productive years and haven't made the post season yet.  Takes a few kicks at the can to fully learn what the nature of the post season is like. 

's current age

I'd really like to see Bo pick up his defensive game.

Last game with Erickon sitting and Beagle out, Miller and Pearson picked up the PK slack.

Bo is leading the minus stat on the Canucks at -15

For the Canucks to compete Bo needs to be a Selke player while still getting the heavy match ups.

He is just coming to the point in his career where other Selke players have started to perform.

Guys like Bergeron and Kopitar

really rounded out their game at about Bo's current age.

Its time for Bo to step up and become the defensive leader, while maintaining his offense

Bergeron at 20, -28

at 25 , +20

O'Rielly was a - player until last year at age 28 (Selke +Cup)

Toews was a big + player at age 21

Kopitar, 24 years first big + season

Those are all the Selke winners since Kesler in 2011 and all have Cups.

Selke consideration is Bo's next big step

28 minutes ago, lmm said:

I'd really like to see Bo pick up his defensive game.

Last game with Erickon sitting and Beagle out, Miller and Pearson picked up the PK slack.

Bo is leading the minus stat on the Canucks at -15

For the Canucks to compete Bo needs to be a Selke player while still getting the heavy match ups.

He is just coming to the point in his career where other Selke players have started to perform.

Guys like Bergeron and Kopitar

really rounded out their game at about Bo's current age.

Its time for Bo to step up and become the defensive leader, while maintaining his offense

Bergeron at 20, -28

at 25 , +20

O'Rielly was a - player until last year at age 28 (Selke +Cup)

Toews was a big + player at age 21

Kopitar, 24 years first big + season

Those are all the Selke winners since Kesler in 2011 and all have Cups.

Selke consideration is Bo's next big step

+/- is a potentially very misleading stat without context.

That said, I do actually agree with you. Bo has improved his face-off game and has become amazing at face-offs, but there's more to being a Selke-calibre player than winning face-offs. 

Bo does have reasonably strong possession metrics (49.0% CORSI For) despite having a lot of defensive zone starts (43.4% oZS). Eriksson is probably the only defensive forward who has a stronger possession metric (48.3% CORSI For with 35.5% oZS).

I did a look at 11 of our better defensive forwards as though I was looking at a Selke winner (so points count) and Bo came out at 3rd on the team behind Pearson and Miller. +/- is definitely his weak spot, but his brightest spot was blocked shots per game, where he was 2nd behind only Motte. I think Horvat is slowly but surely progressing his defensive game to the point where he can get legitimate consideration for the Selke, but he's not there yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

35 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

+/- is a potentially very misleading stat without context.

That said, I do actually agree with you. Bo has improved his face-off game and has become amazing at face-offs, but there's more to being a Selke-calibre player than winning face-offs. 

Bo does have reasonably strong possession metrics (49.0% CORSI For) despite having a lot of defensive zone starts (43.4% oZS). Eriksson is probably the only defensive forward who has a stronger possession metric (48.3% CORSI For with 35.5% oZS).

I did a look at 11 of our better defensive forwards as though I was looking at a Selke winner (so points count) and Bo came out at 3rd on the team behind Pearson and Miller. +/- is definitely his weak spot, but his brightest spot was blocked shots per game, where he was 2nd behind only Motte. I think Horvat is slowly but surely progressing his defensive game to the point where he can get legitimate consideration for the Selke, but he's not there yet.

A little off topic

but it looks like it took the Selke Trophy some time to sort itself out.

In the early days Steve Kasper won with a -18, a few years late Rick Meagher won scoring 25 points and a +4. I remember a backlash after that one, then Gilmour won with 127 points and +47. I think it became the "scorer with big +"  about then. 

But back on topic.

+/- isn't unfallable but like most things hockey it evens out over time

Bo has gained some +s being on the ice for empty net goals and has lost some being scored on with the net empty. Like I said, Things even out.

As many want Beagle and Sutter off the team, one of Bo, Petey or Gaudette will need to take over PK/Shutdown. Maybe it will be Miller, but Bo being able to protect a lead late in games would be helpful

Just now, lmm said:

A little off topic

but it looks like it took the Selke Trophy some time to sort itself out.

In the early days Steve Kasper won with a -18, a few years late Rick Meagher won scoring 25 points and a +4. I remember a backlash after that one, then Gilmour won with 127 points and +47. I think it became the "scorer with big +"  about then. 

But back on topic.

+/- isn't unfallable but like most things hockey it evens out over time

Bo has gained some +s being on the ice for empty net goals and has lost some being scored on with the net empty. Like I said, Things even out.

As many want Beagle and Sutter off the team, one of Bo, Petey or Gaudette will need to take over PK/Shutdown. Maybe it will be Miller, but Bo being able to protect a lead late in games would be helpful

I think way back in the day, it often went more often to the hard-nosed bottom six centres who were purely shutdown guys like Gainey and Carbonneau. Once Datsyuk came on the scene, people took notice of how he consistently led forwards in takeaways and the takeaways stat gained a lot more interest. After Datsyuk, I think face-off percentage became Selke voters' favourite stat as almost every recent Selke winner has had a face-off percentage of at least the high 50s if not into the low 60s. Of course it makes sense that a combination of many metrics would be the best overall judge. +/- has value, just does CORSI, blocked shots, takeaways, and face-off percentage do.

• Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think way back in the day, it often went more often to the hard-nosed bottom six centres who were purely shutdown guys like Gainey and Carbonneau. Once Datsyuk came on the scene, people took notice of how he consistently led forwards in takeaways and the takeaways stat gained a lot more interest. After Datsyuk, I think face-off percentage became Selke voters' favourite stat as almost every recent Selke winner has had a face-off percentage of at least the high 50s if not into the low 60s. Of course it makes sense that a combination of many metrics would be the best overall judge. +/- has value, just does CORSI, blocked shots, takeaways, and face-off percentage do.

I agree

except for Gainey, Lehtinen and Ramsey it has been a center's award

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, lmm said:

I agree

except for Gainey, Lehtinen and Ramsey it has been a center's award

I feel like Stone should have won it last year, but the bias towards centres hurt him.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Came across this article and thought I'd share it for anyone who needs a good laugh or is having a throwback day:
https://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2015/1/28/7936371/looking-back-the-canucks-lost-the-cory-schneider-trade-and-it-was-not

Still amazed at how things have transpired several years down the road

Why you don't judge a trade involving a top prospect who's not even 20 yet: Exhibit A.

I know TG is likely trying to be mindful of Bo's mins, added responsibilities as the new captain, and wanting him to improve his defensive game as a whole, but I'd really like to see Bo Horvat start playing on the PK.

Beagle, Sutter, Eriksson, Motte (Schaller now traded) were the main PK players, sprinkling in Pearson and Miller at times.  However, of the PK regulars, most of them will likely gone within a year or two.  Then you are left with the question who steps into that role to play the PK.  I think the coaching staff need to start developing the next wave of good solid PK players in the organization with their younger players, or you will continue to get stuck into the loop of trading or overpaying UFA's to play special teams.  I'd like to see more younger players given looks in those areas to develop their overall game, and that starts with Bo Horvat.

Its a process I know, perhaps we see that organically unfold if/when the Canucks try to move on from Sutter or Beagle, but with Bo at age 25, its time to let him to play those important positions especially if TG's intentions are to use him as a shutdown centre.

44 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I know TG is likely trying to be mindful of Bo's mins, added responsibilities as the new captain, and wanting him to improve his defensive game as a whole, but I'd really like to see Bo Horvat start playing on the PK.

Beagle, Sutter, Eriksson, Motte (Schaller now traded) were the main PK players, sprinkling in Pearson and Miller at times.  However, of the PK regulars, most of them will likely gone within a year or two.  Then you are left with the question who steps into that role to play the PK.  I think the coaching staff need to start developing the next wave of good solid PK players in the organization with their younger players, or you will continue to get stuck into the loop of trading or overpaying UFA's to play special teams.  I'd like to see more younger players given looks in those areas to develop their overall game, and that starts with Bo Horvat.

Its a process I know, perhaps we see that organically unfold if/when the Canucks try to move on from Sutter or Beagle, but with Bo at age 25, its time to let him to play those important positions especially if TG's intentions are to use him as a shutdown centre.

I'd actually agree. I'm not sure he needs to be on PK1, but I think we're wasting his defensive mindset by not at least giving him secondary PK minutes on the 2nd unit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...