The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Of Bo's 6 goals, 5 of them have been on the powerplay.

His only even strength goal was his empty netter in Detroit.

Bo again showing that he gets it done without much help, but also a clear indication that his linemates aren't helping him offensively, and he is generating much offense 5v5.  JB needs to get working on finding him a top six player.

Baer?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Its certainly worth trying, I have some skepticism that it will make much difference, but I would surely love it if he proved me wrong.

I think Bo, Jake, Baer would make a good line.  Bo and Jake need a set-up guy.  That's not Pearson.  That's more Baer IMO.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Bo, Jake, Baer would make a good line.  Bo and Jake need a set-up guy.  That's not Pearson.  That's more Baer IMO.  

That's certainly a fair assessment.

I think also TG likes that Pearson engages down low, which is where Bo also thrives, so he gets support.  Jake and Sven have tendencies to shy away from engaging plays down low.  But I do agree, that line needs someone to feed the puck but also have heart to get to the net once Bo or Jake take the puck wide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Of Bo's 6 goals, 5 of them have been on the powerplay.

His only even strength goal was his empty netter in Detroit.

Bo again showing that he gets it done without much help, but also a clear indication that his linemates aren't helping him offensively, and he isn't generating much offense 5v5.  I can start seeing the old habits of Bo doing things on his own instead of using his teammates which makes me believe he doesn't trust his wingers to help him get it done and has taken on the responsibility to do everything.  As noble as that is for the captain, he needs support.  JB needs to get working on finding him a top six player.

They've also been matching up against other teams top lines which likely has something to do with their 5v5 production.

I'm ok with that if it allows the Pettersson line to thrive and our 3rd line to continue chipping in.

56 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

That's certainly a fair assessment.

I think also TG likes that Pearson engages down low, which is where Bo also thrives, so he gets support.  Jake and Sven have tendencies to shy away from engaging plays down low.  But I do agree, that line needs someone to feed the puck but also have heart to get to the net once Bo or Jake take the puck wide.

Podkolzin with Bo will be amazing.  He's a guy who engages, and has smarts and skills.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Q&A with Horvat:

NAME: Hovart-Name.jpg

HOMETOWN: Hovart-Hometown.jpg

WHILE TRAVELING I ALWAYS NEED MY: Hovart-AlwaysNeed.jpg

BEFORE A GAME I ALWAYS: Hovart-BeforeGame.jpg

MY NO. 1 PET PEEVE IS: Hovart-PetPeeve.jpg

THE ANIMAL I MOST IDENTIFY WITH IS: Hovart-SpiritAnimal.jpg

MY ALL-TIME FAVOURITE MOVIE IS: Hovart-Movie.jpg

MY GO-TO SONG THAT NEVER DISAPPOINTS IS: Hovart-NeverDisappoint.jpg

IF I COULD GO ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD I'D GO TO Hovart-TravelTo.jpg
...WITH Hovart-GoWith.jpg

MY FAVOURITE NON-HOCKEY SPORT IS
 Hovart-FavSport.jpg  ...AND I ROOT FOR Hovart-RootFor.jpg

THE BEST PART ABOUT BEING AN NHL PLAYER IS... Hovart-BestPart.jpg

https://www.nhlpa.com/news/1-19660/player-qa-bo-horvat

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just noticed that Bo is -10. On a team that is positive in GD. I didn't think he was playing particularly bad defensively but somehow he is -10. I wonder what's going on? Tough match ups? +/- is a team stat and it's a noisy stat but when one player, especially a core player accumulates -10, then you have to wonder what is the reason behind it... I can't think of any.

2 hours ago, khay said:

Just noticed that Bo is -10. On a team that is positive in GD. I didn't think he was playing particularly bad defensively but somehow he is -10. I wonder what's going on? Tough match ups? +/- is a team stat and it's a noisy stat but when one player, especially a core player accumulates -10, then you have to wonder what is the reason behind it... I can't think of any.

Probably because he never leaves the ice when others are injured?  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Also he gets some of the hardest minutes with ANOTHER marry go round of wingers, and yes he seems to be our go to guy for injuries.

Right, he fills in for injuries especially to Sutter. That's probably a contributing factor. He plays too much, gets tired, misses on assignments, and gets scored on.

But I do wonder if Bo is actually a good defensive player, is he actually better than average at keeping the goals out of our net? Whenever he has to take over Sutter's job, it seems to take him away from his offensive game, which is understandable but I noticed that, he isn't doing a good job filling in defensively for Sutter either. Bo seems to struggle both offensively and defensively. He wins the faceoffs but his line seems to be stuck in our own zone and fails to neutralize the opposition's top players by spending more time in the offensive zone. 

I think Bo is not quite the two way player that we hope and want him to be yet (i.e., Bergeron). I think his offensive game, particularly, the counter offence and rush game, is really good when paired with crash and bang wingers. And his style of generating offence really compliments EP's line and the way they generate offence. It's truly a 1-2 scoring punch that the Canucks can build off of for a long time to come.

I think our defensive game is going to continue its struggle with Sutter out: Sutter and Beagle were a great combo for defensive assignments. We might as well just play run and gun style and get Bo to do what he's good at (offence). Unfortunately, we are missing the wingers that compliments Bo's offensive game, Roussel and Ferland, so I don't even know if we can get Bo to do what he is good at. Leivo and Pearson aren't the types that bang guys and get the puck.

In the meantime, we should put Miller on Horvat's wing since he utilizes his big body quite well and put Gaudette on the wing as he is quick on the forecheck.

Pearson/Leivo-EP-Boeser

Miller-Horvat-Gaudette

Scheller-Beagle-Virtanen

Pearson/Leivo-Graovac-MacEwan

Baer, Eriksson are scratches

This leaves 4th line that is rather thin but might as well get the top 2 lines to play 20+ minutes, 12-15 minutes for Beagle line and < 10 mins for the fourth line to just go out there and hit. We lost so much of our forward depth (Sutter, Roussel, Ferland, Motte are out) and IMO, the only way for us to win is to outscore the other team. 

1 hour ago, khay said:

Right, he fills in for injuries especially to Sutter. That's probably a contributing factor. He plays too much, gets tired, misses on assignments, and gets scored on.

But I do wonder if Bo is actually a good defensive player, is he actually better than average at keeping the goals out of our net? Whenever he has to take over Sutter's job, it seems to take him away from his offensive game, which is understandable but I noticed that, he isn't doing a good job filling in defensively for Sutter either. Bo seems to struggle both offensively and defensively. He wins the faceoffs but his line seems to be stuck in our own zone and fails to neutralize the opposition's top players by spending more time in the offensive zone. 

I think Bo is not quite the two way player that we hope and want him to be yet (i.e., Bergeron). I think his offensive game, particularly, the counter offence and rush game, is really good when paired with crash and bang wingers. And his style of generating offence really compliments EP's line and the way they generate offence. It's truly a 1-2 scoring punch that the Canucks can build off of for a long time to come.

I think our defensive game is going to continue its struggle with Sutter out: Sutter and Beagle were a great combo for defensive assignments. We might as well just play run and gun style and get Bo to do what he's good at (offence). Unfortunately, we are missing the wingers that compliments Bo's offensive game, Roussel and Ferland, so I don't even know if we can get Bo to do what he is good at. Leivo and Pearson aren't the types that bang guys and get the puck.

In the meantime, we should put Miller on Horvat's wing since he utilizes his big body quite well and put Gaudette on the wing as he is quick on the forecheck.

Pearson/Leivo-EP-Boeser

Miller-Horvat-Gaudette

Scheller-Beagle-Virtanen

Pearson/Leivo-Graovac-MacEwan

Baer, Eriksson are scratches

This leaves 4th line that is rather thin but might as well get the top 2 lines to play 20+ minutes, 12-15 minutes for Beagle line and < 10 mins for the fourth line to just go out there and hit. We lost so much of our forward depth (Sutter, Roussel, Ferland, Motte are out) and IMO, the only way for us to win is to outscore the other team. 

Greens system could be a contributing factor to Bo been over worked, he does run a go go go system and if your double shifting guys you run them dry of energy fast