The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

I like what Gudbranson brings but I sometimes feel like he is lost out there, not knowing what to do. For one, I think he is really quick to the puck on dump ins. On dum-ins that are 50-50, he will often beat out the opposing forwards to the puck. But the problem starts there. He gets there, and he tries to move the puck but this gives the forward enough time to apply pressure. He gets pinned to the board. 

Either we have a defensive system that does not provide ample outlet options or Gudbranson cannot quickly process the ice for options and make quick plays with his stick. Or both. Maybe the simple thing to do is to have Gudbranson focus on clearing the puck rather than trying to make plays when in deep. Retrieve, and clear it out.  Only on a clean breakout, he should focus on making plays.

I don't know, I have a mixed feelings about Gud. I like what he brings to the team, but he just can't make good plays quick enough. Doesn't seem to process the ice all that fast as he can move his body.

• 2 weeks later...

Was he  this injury prone when he played in Florida?

The guy  seems to be hurt more than he’s heathy, I was on the resign him bus because of what he brings but he doesn’t bring anything Since he’s always hurt .

So  what’s the value of a always hurt #4 dman.

Edited by combover
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 1/16/2018 at 6:30 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

agree with everything but the Prust comment.  Prust was actually pissed he was scratched and wouldn't take it for 1 second if Boeser got pushed around in front of his face.

I say ship out Guddy back to Florida and hopefully get a similar trade to the McCann one.

The same Brandon Prust who stated that the kids need to learn how to stick up for themselves? That guy was a floater. 

Dorsett never said that. He took that part of his role seriously. Prust? All too happy to shrug it off. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, combover said:

So  what’s the value of a always hurt #4 dman.

I still say we're better off re-signing him unless him/his agent are adamant he's making in the $5+ and long term territory. Anything around $4m'ish for 4-5'ish years I'm just fine with. And given those injuries etc, I really don't see him getting the giant pay day everyone's afraid of.

As for the injuries, that's pretty much the case for all our top D. Tanev's never played a full season. Edler's played one (6 years ago) and a few high 70's low 80's seasons sprinkled throughout.

That's not likely to change until we're a better team and/or have better D. We've presently got good, not great D playing too many minutes, over their heads on a rebuilding team with forwards who tend to have trouble keeping the puck in the offensive zone that only puts more defensive pressure on those D who were already playing over their heads.

Recipe for injuries.

Getting rid of quality depth from the D by moving Gudbranson is not going to improve that situation.

• Upvote 2

Gudbranson had some interesting comments regarding Trevor Lewis' cowardly hit on Boeser:

"I'm not the only guy that should do it on this team. I think there should have been a pushback. That's something that I bring & had I been on the ice there would have been something done a little differently."      

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Gudbranson had some interesting comments regarding Trevor Lewis' cowardly hit on Boeser:

"I'm not the only guy that should do it on this team. I think there should have been a pushback. That's something that I bring & had I been on the ice there would have been something done a little differently."      

He is right, he alone wont be able to police everything, everyone has to get on board to protect each other.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Probably a shot at Virtanen

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

He is right, he alone wont be able to police everything, everyone has to get on board to protect each other.

This team overall is one of the weakest I have ever seen. People expect Gudbranson to fight all the time as if he’s in the UFC. He’s right on this topic... Would be pretty $&!#ty to be in his skates... being relied upon to have everyone’s back...meanwhile NO-ONE has yours.

18 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Totally. The team needs to turn over more of the previous core's roster players before there is a team wide adherence to that kind of pack mentality.

On 1/6/2018 at 11:03 PM, WeneedLumme said:

Enjoyed hearing Cherry saying during the intermission that Guddy would be a great addition to the Leafs, but he would cost at least Brown or maybe even Marner. 

I didn't hear that, but I would do Guddy for Marner in about half a second.

Imagine: Pettersson, Marner, Boeser, Dahlen, Horvat, Lind

That's a lot of high end talent.

Then of course:

Baertschi, Gadjovich, Gaudette, Gagner, Eriksson, Virtanen, Sutter, Granlund.  That's about two forwards too many in total, but that's not a bad selection to make up the bottom 6.

14 minutes ago, kloubek said:

That's a lot of high end talent getting slammed into the boards, cross-checked and slapped around like a red-headed step child.

Then of course:

Baertschi, Gadjovich, Gaudette, Gagner, Eriksson, Virtanen, Sutter, Granlund.  That's about two forwards too many in total, but that's not a bad selection to make up the bottom 6.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

Probably a shot at Virtanen

I don't think so at all.

Virtanen wasn't on the ice when Boeser was boarded, and slammed Lewis into the boards on the first opportunity and challenged him.

It was later revealed that Lewis had a taped wrist and was unable to fight. What a turd.

Gudbranson was calling out the Canucks on the ice in my opinon. Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin, Alex Edler, and Bo Horvat. Which is totally fair.

Clearly Edler and the Sedins aren't really in to standing up for their teammate (and never have been), but Bo should have done something.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, kloubek said:

That's a lot of high end talent.

Then of course:

Alas, Toronto would be insane to pull that deal. Benning would be trying to stifle his snickers as he hung up the phone if he pulled that one off.