The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Erik Gudbranson | #44 | D

-SN-

On 10/1/2017 at 0:28 PM, Fanuck said:

Exactly Rob.  There's literally no one on the team or in the system that brings Quads combination of assets to the rink each night - yet all some people think of is flipping him for what - another pick/prospect?   We don't have a single experienced,  physical defenceman on the team yet somehow people think he's expendable?  Down the road,  if Pedan pans out  (still a big if imo) and it looks like contract discussions aren't favorable then by all means reassess - but right now Quads is the type of player many,  many teams are looking for  (including us if he wasn't here already ) so why be selling what you need?

Love Gudbranson. Only one type of player gets to wear that number: big, scary,  and know how to use their size to make themselves known to their opponents.

Edited by Where'd Luongo?

I think JB deserves some credit here too. There are several players on this current roster that have been brought in and failed expectations management and fans had of them. This in turn shifts to JB's management of the team. I include Linden also.

All of last season management defended making their moves even though the players they were defending were struggling. 

I thought ErikssonGudbranson and Sutter played very well. Markstrom was outstanding.

We all know this is one game but I think people have to like what JB's vision of a team with the right coach look like.

I do not recall last nights team energy under WD. 

37 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

I think JB deserves some credit here too. There are several players on this current roster that have been brought in and failed expectations management and fans had of them. This in turn shifts to JB's management of the team. I include Linden also.

All of last season management defended making their moves even though the players they were defending were struggling. 

I thought ErikssonGudbranson and Sutter played very well. Markstrom was outstanding.

We all know this is one game but I think people have to like what JB's vision of a team with the right coach look like.

I do not recall last nights team energy under WD. 

Desjardins had the team playing a pretty heavy trap style due to the injuries and lack of depth. I think that, coupled with his misunderstanding of player deployment (misusing guys to try and fit this strategy), took a lot of wind out of the team's sails.

It'll be nice to see how some of the players who struggled last year fare with more depth and a coach who knows where to use players to get the most out of their game. Everybody seemed much more comfortable and confident in the roles they were given last night. They also seemed like they were having an absolute blast playing an up-tempo system. 

It's game one only, but it was definitely an encouraging effort from Gudbranson and others.

Edited by BananaMash
  • Upvote 1

On 10/3/2017 at 6:29 PM, PhillipBlunt said:

Must have been watching a different preseason. Gudbranson was physically dominant against the Oilers. He handled Lucy and kept his game to a low roar.

Erik was calm and collected when it came to clearing the puck, especially on the penalty kill. He keeps that up, you'll have to deal with him for a few more years in the blue and green.

I think that is the most misunderstood thing that Gudbranson brings to the team. And not a lot of people see or get that. I seen several examples during this game and even games in the pre-season where guys would back off when Guddy was on the ice. He makes you pay hard for being in front of his net or along the boards. Heck even Lucic was quiet because of him. Lucic would have been a way bigger factor in this game if we didn't have someone on the team like this.  

Someone mentioned a bit ago that he's like Willie Mitchell, and I like that comparison. He didn't bring much offensively but just check his resume and see how many cups and deep playoff runs he's had in his career, that's not by accident.

• Upvote 1

I thought that the Del Zotto/Gudbranson pairing was the best one for us all around last game.

Gudbranson broke up a lot of plays using his reach and having Del Zotto as a partner made it easier to move the puck out of the zone. In all three zones, they were sound.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I thought that the Del Zotto/Gudbranson pairing was the best one for us all around last game.

Easily

7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Gudbranson broke up a lot of plays using his reach and having Del Zotto as a partner made it easier to move the puck out of the zone. In all three zones, they were sound.

Out of all three, they are the most balanced pairing. Both are physical players who finish their checks, and both are defensively responsible. As well, they generated the most shots out of any defensive pairing, by a long shot.

Hutton and Stecher were pretty bad, with Hutton being the major issue with that pairing. He looked lost out there. At least Stecher has the wherewithal about him to feed an open Vanek for the one-timer.

Tanev looks to be trying to generate some offense this season which he looks right at home doing. Edler? Not so much. The three blind passes through traffic ended up as horrible giveaways.

I think Gudbranson has been our 2nd best d man so far behind Tanev. He's made some great defensive plays breaking up scoring chances and he adds some toughness on the back end. He's becoming one of my favorite players in the team.  I want to keep this guy around for the future. Hope he signs long term at a reasonable cap hit. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

As a Panthers fan, can say Guddy was the key to their rise and it all fell apart when he was traded.   I am still convinced fans in Vancouver will come to love the way this guy plays.

I think that many are finally seeing the light. I just hope that Gudbranson is interested in signing a long term deal here. 

If he is, make it happen, JB!

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think that many are finally seeing the light. I just hope that Gudbranson is interested in signing a long term deal here. 

If he is, make it happen, JB!

5yrs 22.5mill? If he keeps playing like this then i think its fair at 4.5 per. Im sure after all these 1yr deals he wants term. You can tell he loves the city and wants to play in a canadian market.

57 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

5yrs 22.5mill? If he keeps playing like this then i think its fair at 4.5 per. Im sure after all these 1yr deals he wants term. You can tell he loves the city and wants to play in a canadian market.

Might be 5 x 5. Hopefully he's interested in playing here past this season. 

Just curious, what has made you think he likes Vancouver? 

34 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Might be 5 x 5. Hopefully he's interested in playing here past this season. 

Just curious, what has made you think he likes Vancouver? 

He goes to a lot of stuff for the organization off the ice. Commercials, events, etc.

Might just be because he is a loyal guy and even that could work out for us.

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

As a Panthers fan, can say Guddy was the key to their rise and it all fell apart when he was traded.   I am still convinced fans in Vancouver will come to love the way this guy plays.

They already do Zepp.... absolutely love him.

Brought an element to the club we have been desperate to have for ages....

Absolutely love him...

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1