The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

Whoa there ... what about vision?  Would Ben have seen that puck carom off the stanchion like Bieksa did?  No-one else had any idea.

And no-one can make a grumpy face like B (except maybe Vernon Fiddler)

oh good one.  I do believe there is a Smurf with Bieks's face too;)  

Hutton doesn't remind me of any defenders the Canucks have had in the past. Hutton has great instincts and plays a very mature game for his age. If developed properly, he has the potential af being the best defenceman the Canucks have ever had. Mind you it seems like other teams are starting to get the playbook on Hutton and he is not as effective as in games previously, we will have to see how he adjusts.

Is he subject to waivers if we want to send him down? Right now I think Hutton's our 4th best defenceman, 5th best at the very worst (if Weber's just played his way up). Don't think he'll be getting sent down any time soon, and Bartkowski has to be the odd man out obviously. Looks like he'll be here to stay all year long and the Canucks defence look a lot smoother with him in the lineup.

Hutton is not subject to Waivers.  Players on an entry level contract, which Hutton is, are on a 2-way contract and not subject to waivers for 3 years.  They can be sent to the AHL without going through waivers.  The same would apply to Bo Horvat. 

Frank Corrado was picked up on waivers by Toronto.  According to the CBA contract he is Toronto's roster for 30 days before they either keep him on their NHL roster or move him to the AHL.  If they want to send him to the AHL he must again put on waivers and if he clears he goes to the AHL. 

Currently Corrado is on a "conditioning assignment" with Toronto's AHL team.  He can only be sent down for conditioning for 14 days and only with his agreement.  He is still paid his NHL salary.

Hope that helps.  You can find out more information on the Internet.

• Upvote 1

His play is bafflingly good.

His hand eye, vision, poise, stride and speed all appear to be elite level talent. And only 11 games in, there is still sooo much time for Hutton to improve even more.

We'll see if he can keep it up down the stretch, with so many more games played compared to the college season, but i see him as our #1 defenseman by the start of the 2017 season. Maybe even a Norris candidate one day. 

But maybe I'm being over optimistic.:ph34r:

I don't remember the last time a D prospect made the team out of preseason. Maybe Ohlund? 

Most D are called up mid season due to injury. And since there were no significant injuries to start the year Hutton just straight out earned a spot with Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, Sbisa, Bartowski and Weber healthy. IMO Hutton may already the 2nd best 2-way D on this team after Edler. So that's impressive.

But OTOH it does highlight how weak the D depth is this year. And this is before any injuries. 

I don't remember the last time a D prospect made the team out of preseason. Maybe Ohlund? 

Most D are called up mid season due to injury. And since there were no significant injuries to start the year Hutton just straight out earned a spot with Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, Sbisa, Bartowski and Weber healthy. IMO Hutton may already the 2nd best 2-way D on this team after Edler. So that's impressive.

But OTOH it does highlight how weak the D depth is this year. And this is before any injuries. 

OMG, Hutton is already better than Edler.

Hutton is not subject to Waivers.  Players on an entry level contract, which Hutton is, are on a 2-way contract and not subject to waivers for 3 years.  They can be sent to the AHL without going through waivers.  The same would apply to Bo Horvat. 

Frank Corrado was picked up on waivers by Toronto.  According to the CBA contract he is Toronto's roster for 30 days before they either keep him on their NHL roster or move him to the AHL.  If they want to send him to the AHL he must again put on waivers and if he clears he goes to the AHL. 

Currently Corrado is on a "conditioning assignment" with Toronto's AHL team.  He can only be sent down for conditioning for 14 days and only with his agreement.  He is still paid his NHL salary.

Hope that helps.  You can find out more information on the Internet.

That information is not complete or correct.  You can play X number of games in the NHL, which varies by the age at which you signed your ELC, and then you are no longer exempt from waivers.

Hutton was 22 (?) when he signed his ELC I believe? So would no longer be waiver exempt after 70 NHL games. Bo Horvat 160. The number of years you quoted is also incorrect. It starts at 6 years from signing at age 18. 5 years at age 19. 4 years t 20, 21 & 22. 3 at 23, 2 at 24 & 1 at 25 or older. But again, as soon as you pass the NHL games threshold you become no longer exempt to send down.

Goalies                         Skaters
Age   Games                 Age   Games
18      80                        18      160
19      80                        19      160
20      80                         20     160
21      60                         21     80
22      60                         22     70
23      60                         23     60
24      60                         24     60
25+                                 25+   

To the folks throwing Bieksa under the bus, it's comments like this that make me ashamed to be a Canucks fan at times. Bieksa was a damn good hockey player for a long time despite his deficiencies as a defender and wore his heart on his sleeve every single night. Your hard pressed to find guys who will do as much as Bieksa did for this franchise, on and off the ice. To compare Hutton is absurd because they play nothing alike. Good job folks it's statements like this that gives the title of greatest hockey fans in the league.

Agreed.  Was Bieksa given a lot of slack because of his personality, humour off the ice? I think so.  He basically had one outstanding year, conveniently right before he signed his big contract. And then has slowly dropped out of being anything other than a physical presence (if he can catch the opponent). And was increasingly prone to mistakes because of new players being faster. Some players crash harder than others. He was becoming a liability and I for one am happy that Benning was able to convince Anaheim that he was still worth that type of salary.  I only wish they could have dumped Hamhuis too at the same time.

This isn't throwing him under the bus, its the reality of the situation. But I can't just forget the many years he worked for the team, big hits, standing up for team mates, and being a big part of playoff runs. He bled Canuck colours. I don't think its fair or even possible to compare these two, not just in playing style, but one is a proven NHL veteran. Lets just see first of all how Hutton survives even one full 82 game marathon.

• Upvote 1

He's nothing like that idiot defense man from bowling green. God, that guy sucked. Never seen a dman been protected like that throughout his career and still was crap awful when he was done. 

Stop embarrassing yourself. Some of us have perfect memories, unlike you it seems.

in those 11 games Hutton has displayed more skill than Bieksa did in all his years here.  Hutton is not only more skillful than Bieksa, he's more skillful than any D man we've had since Reinhart.  Hutton is really, really good at moving the puck.  Bieksa brought s physical toughness that made us connect to him, but he had no where near Hutton's skill.

Absolutely ridiculous post. Not a surprise when you see who wrote it though.