The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

I think Hutton definitely has top pairing potential, but more of a 1B guy tops. 40 points, solid defensively, but not elite. A poor man's version of Doughty / Suter. Not the dominant physical ability of Weber / Chara / Seabrook or the elite offensive potential of Karlsson / Keith / Subban. 

8 hours ago, J.R. said:

Tanev better not still be on our top pair by the time the next core is entering its prime. 

I dono JR most top D men are good around 29. When Hutton turns 25 Tanev will still be 28, I feel like that is a role he could be in for sure.

10 hours ago, Canucks Prophet said:

I would be really happy if Tryamkin turns into a great player for us. I like the idea of having a skilled giant on our blue line. If Pedan can make the team as well, we'll be scary.

If those two make the line up it is likely a game changer in the Canucks drive back to contention. Not seeing Tryamkin's play it is easy to make wrong assumptions in what he brings. What is really interesting about a big player like this is how much he can add to his partner's game. I am a advocate for moving Tanev for the right deal but his possible pairing with Tryamkin or Pedan could seriously improve his game as they could provide the physical presence that allows Tanev to maximize his puck handling ability.  Pedan is easier to have a positive outlook as reports out of Utica are mostly positive.

7 hours ago, Derp... said:

I dono JR most top D men are good around 29. When Hutton turns 25 Tanev will still be 28, I feel like that is a role he could be in for sure.

Tanev is a REALLY good #3 D. If we had a better D core, he'd be anchoring a 2ND pair.

Hutton and Tanev as a first pair would lack a LOT of push back, size and grit as well. 

8 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Tanev is a REALLY good #3 D. If we had a better D core, he'd be anchoring a 2ND pair.

Hutton and Tanev as a first pair would lack a LOT of push back, size and grit as well. 

I like to think of Tanev as similar to Bieksa, better at moving the puck, not as physical, with a weaker shot. Bieksa and Hammer were a good top pair for us. 

• 4 weeks later...

I liked his comment just prior to that where he started to say he wasn't sure where Daniel was trying to put it but then corrected himself and said he was sure with Daniel's vision that it was meant for him.

Edited by elvis15

On 12/25/2015 at 0:40 PM, J.R. said:

If we had an insanely good D-core he would be a number 3. Keith - Seabrook or Weber - Josi for example. 

Tanev is a REALLY good #2 in my opinion. With more offense he could be a #1.

http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2015/5/25/8657959/canucks-player-autopsy-chris-tanev

http://thehockeywriters.com/is-chris-tanev-the-leagues-most-underrated-defenseman/

Tanev and Edler are both good #2 dmen. As such, they are doing a pretty awesome job holding up the fort. When you have Yannik freakin Weber in the top four there are problems. 

That said, despite an already weak dcore decimated by injury PLUS our checking centre being injured most of the season, our BACKUP goalie has a 2.40 GAA and .922 save pct. While I give Marky credit o that as well, can't ignore that defense plays a huge part in a goalie's  numbers. Edler and Tanev play huge minutes, and have kept us in it this season. 

2 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

If we had an insanely good D-core he would be a number 3. Keith - Seabrook or Weber - Josi for example. 

Tanev is a REALLY good #2 in my opinion. With more offense he could be a #1.

http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2015/5/25/8657959/canucks-player-autopsy-chris-tanev

http://thehockeywriters.com/is-chris-tanev-the-leagues-most-underrated-defenseman/

Tanev and Edler are both good #2 dmen. As such, they are doing a pretty awesome job holding up the fort. When you have Yannik freakin Weber in the top four there are problems. 

That said, despite an already weak dcore decimated by injury PLUS our checking centre being injured most of the season, our BACKUP goalie has a 2.40 GAA and .922 save pct. While I give Marky credit o that as well, can't ignore that defense plays a huge part in a goalie's  numbers. Edler and Tanev play huge minutes, and have kept us in it this season. 

If we had even a competitive D core, he'd be #3. No offense, no physicality... I'm sorry but you have to bring more than one dimension (granted he's arguably elite in that one dimension) to be a true top pair, #1 or #2 D in the NHL.

At best, I'd give you a '2B'. At best. And that's on his rare nights where he's not being rag-dolled, doing his best impression of a steak being tenderized and actually getting his weak shot on net.

No argument on most of the rest of your post. Our #2 Edler and #3 Tanev (and the coaching staff, forwards etc) are doing an admirable job keeping the team in most games despite what is largely a #5-8 and AHL level D in behind them. 

I still say Hutton/Tanev would be a horrible pair in anything resembling a physical game (ie: most NHL games). I'd prefer to have a bigger, more physical guy with a shot paired with our more cerebral, puck moving D. That's why Edler/Tanev works. It's also why Hutton/Sbisa works. Sbisa/Tanev would also likely be fine as a good 2nd pair.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

He needs to work on turning to not get beat to the outside, but his ability to escape danger, rush the puck, and make offensive plays is matched by no others on the current D corps.

Just too bad he didn't keep skating on that breakaway in OT...

It's a good thing it was Ben on the breakaway;  not Edler, or there would be 15 pages about it.:o