The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I don't know if they will move MDZ right in the summer...maybe at the deadline next year makes more sense.  But definitely have questions about Hutty and Pouliot.  Both are atrocious in the defensive zone and making simple reads.  Almost feels whoever makes the improvement by training camp/preseason will earn that final spot.

I think Hutton's value is to far low to trade him for anything useful and worthy going into the summer.  May be a deal that happens closer towards end of preseason or after training camp like how we did it with Derrick Pouliot's acquisition. 

Maybe. I just don't see them selling low on either young guy for the hell of it.

MDZ may be great in the room but he's likely gone by next TDL regardless. Keeping him over the other two is pretty short term thinking. Especially when he's not appreciably better than either :lol:

IMO, they can't head in to next season with 4 guys, 3 spots and OJ, Sautner, McEneny, Brisebois etc all likely pushing as well. SOMETHING's got to give.

I'm sure many will point at the elder, Edler but who the hell's replacing his 23+ minutes in all situations? He's one of our only two legit top pair capable D :lol:Do we really want a left side of MDZ, Hutton and Pouliot with a very green, 20 year old Juolevi eventually replacing MDZ? If people thought our D was bad this year....

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Even AHL callup Ashton Sautner has appeared to gain favor over Ben Hutton.  Writing is on the wall to me, Hutton is done in Vancity.

Certainly doesn't look good. Going to get peanuts for him though. 

Maybe we can package him with other pieces to cushion that blow a bit? Going to be an interesting summer...

Edited by aGENT

11 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I don't know if they will move MDZ right in the summer...maybe at the deadline next year makes more sense.  But definitely have questions about Hutty and Pouliot.  Both are atrocious in the defensive zone and making simple reads.  Almost feels whoever makes the improvement by training camp/preseason will earn that final spot.

I think Hutton's value is to far low to trade him for anything useful and worthy going into the summer.  May be a deal that happens closer towards end of preseason or after training camp like how we did it with Derrick Pouliot's acquisition.

Even AHL callup Ashton Sautner has appeared to gain favor over Ben Hutton.  Writing is on the wall to me, Hutton is done in Vancity.

Hutton needs to use this summer to get fit and strong.  If he continues his normal lazy ways, he's done with us, and likely the league.  

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Certainly doesn't look good. Going to get peanuts for him though. 

Maybe we can package him with other pieces to cushion that blow a bit? Going to be an interesting summer...

It's even crossed my mind that hypothetically if the Canucks go after Evander Kane and do land him, that will just add the glut of forwards that play the left side in Baertschi, Leipsic, Granlund, Goldobin, etc.  Makes me wonder maybe package Hutty with maybe the likes of Baertschi whom you may not believe will be in the long term plans and ship them together for a maybe a similar package or somewhere that can get you back a somewhat decent quality dman. 

But i agree with you, JB is going to have his hands totally full, which could be exciting and extremely scary for us Canuck fans.  A man with boat loads of money to freely spend, and many expendable pieces that haven't seen to gain a whole lot of traction the past few years.

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hutton needs to use this summer to get fit and strong.  If he continues his normal lazy ways, he's done with us, and likely the league.  

Agreed, needs to look at Jake Virtanen and change his focus.  I can't confirm if this story is true or not, but one of my friends who often goes to bars and pubs downtown said he often saw Ben Hutton there.  

TG did say Hutton lacked on ice and off ice focus, mostly speculation on my part, but seems like Hutty hasn't quite gotten the frat boy/partying guy out of him yet.   Sounds like a typical young adult who is taking his opportunities for granted. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

It's even crossed my mind that hypothetically if the Canucks go after Evander Kane and do land him, that will just add the glut of forwards that play the left side in Baertschi, Leipsic, Granlund, Goldobin, etc.  Makes me wonder maybe package Hutty with maybe the likes of Baertschi whom you may not believe will be in the long term plans and ship them together for a maybe a similar package or somewhere that can get you back a somewhat decent quality dman. 

That's been crossing my mind for like a year :lol:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

But i agree with you, JB is going to have his hands totally full, which could be exciting and extremely scary for us Canuck fans.  A man with boat loads of money to freely spend, and many expendable pieces that haven't seen to gain a whole lot of traction the past few years.

Agreed, needs to look at Jake Virtanen and change his focus.  I can't confirm if this story is true or not, but one of my friends who often goes to bars and pubs downtown said he often saw Ben Hutton there.  

TG did say Hutton lacked on ice and off ice focus, mostly speculation on my part, but seems like Hutty hasn't quite gotten the frat boy/partying guy out of him yet.   Sounds like a typical young adult who is taking his opportunities for granted. 

Likely it's quite true, what your friends are suggesting about Hutton.  The kid has a wonderful personality, and is making millions.  Maybe he's just not a super compete guy, who will do what it takes (on and off the ice) to be his best so he can win?  

I could see them buying him out - it's 800K in actual dollars and 800K/400K cap hit.  If they trade him they'd probably have to retain 50% so salary and cap hit of 1.4M.

Edited by mll
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mll said:

I could see them buying him out - it's 800K in actual dollars and 800K/400K cap hit.  If they trade him they'd probably have to retain 50% so salary and cap hit of 1.4M.

I'd rather waive him.

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd rather waive him.

It's still about about a 1.8M cap hit that would still be on the books and a 2.8M salary to pay vs 800K.  

He has been healthy scratched so many times and again now Green confirms it's a coach decision to keep him out.   Don't see a team wanting to use a roster spot and cap space on him.  There are bottom pairing Ds available in free agency for league minimum.

11 minutes ago, mll said:

It's still about about a 1.8M cap hit that would still be on the books and a 2.8M salary to pay vs 800K.  

He has been healthy scratched so many times and again now Green confirms it's a coach decision to keep him out.   Don't see a team wanting to use a roster spot and cap space on him.  There are bottom pairing Ds available in free agency for league minimum.

Based on his 1st year there has to be someone wanting to take a flyer on him.... retaining 50% would be fine given all the new cap room. No way would he clear waivers so there has to be a taker on a reduced salary. 

12 minutes ago, mll said:

His contract is up in one more year. Either he's waived and someone claims him (we pay nothing) or we gain the $1m in cap space and he's added injury depth (and quality) in Utica.

Again, I'd rather waive him.

That said, I'd imagine someone would take a flyer on him at 50% and/or perhaps packaged with another player.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

His contract is up in one more year. Either he's waived and someone claims him (we pay nothing) or we gain the $1m in cap space and he's added injury depth (and quality) in Utica.

Again, I'd rather waive him.

That said, I'd imagine someone would take a flyer on him at 50% and/or perhaps packaged with another player.

Don't see a team taking two lesser assets for a better asset - it's not a very attractive deal plus one of those so-called assets is a guy that has been healthy scratched multiple times at close to 3M.  Again I would not be surprised if Benning buys him out - similar to what Ottawa did for Ryan Murphy.

40 minutes ago, mll said:

Don't see a team taking two lesser assets for a better asset - it's not a very attractive deal plus one of those so-called assets is a guy that has been healthy scratched multiple times at close to 3M.  Again I would not be surprised if Benning buys him out - similar to what Ottawa did for Ryan Murphy.

I believe it was the Flames that bought out Ryan Murphy.

5 hours ago, Rush17 said:

As most of us suspected.

IMHO there is a very calculated effort by Green to change Hutton's attitude towards the game. More physical work and a tad more drive. I think we see a different player next fall.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO there is a very calculated effort by Green to change Hutton's attitude towards the game. More physical work and a tad more drive. I think we see a different player next fall.

Perhaps now that Virtanen is looking good, Hutton is Green's next pet project?

Hutton's poor development can't carry on much longer. I think OJ can fill his spot with way more upside. 

He would clear waivers no problem at his current price tag.

Buyout sounds nice and cheap, plus we have two comparable's already in MDZ and Pouliot.

Our D scoring has been so disappointing this year somethings gotta give and I think that something is Hutton.

• Upvote 1