The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ben Hutton | #27 | D

Samk

Hutton has been playing a lot better since his first benching. I was paying close attention to his play because his play was driving me nuts this year. I got to the point where I didn't want him on the team anymore. If he can play consistently, like the way he has been recently, watching the Canucks will be a lot more pleasurable.

Just now, Alexandre said:

Hutton has been playing a lot better since his first benching. I was paying close attention to his play because his play was driving me nuts this year. I got to the point where I didn't want him on the team anymore. If he can play consistently, like the way he has been recently, watching the Canucks will be a lot more pleasurable.

Totally agree.  He's playing with more 'bite', which we definitely need on our team.  He needs to continue to play that way though, which is no easy to do.  He will need to accept to stay in the NHL he will need to be prepared for a rough night each game.  I wonder if that's in his personality?  He seems a really fun loving kind of person.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Totally agree.  He's playing with more 'bite', which we definitely need on our team.  He needs to continue to play that way though, which is no easy to do.  He will need to accept to stay in the NHL he will need to be prepared for a rough night each game.  I wonder if that's in his personality?  He seems a really fun loving kind of person.

Yes that is true. I don't think he is a natural mean killer type. But he is very competitive, and I think this wake up call, will hopefully make him realize, that he has to play with more bite and urgency or lose his spot to someone else. Nothing like the fear for your job to help you focus and have more urgency in your life.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-01-11 at 2:19 PM, Alexandre said:

Yes that is true. I don't think he is a natural mean killer type. But he is very competitive, and I think this wake up call, will hopefully make him realize, that he has to play with more bite and urgency or lose his spot to someone else. Nothing like the fear for your job to help you focus and have more urgency in your life.

The only two things that will motivate a man are love and fear. Perhaps the first year came a little too easy to Smilin’ Ben and getting a kick in the butt is what he needed to get back to reality.

2 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

The only two things that will motivate a man are love and fear. Perhaps the first year came a little too easy to Smilin’ Ben and getting a kick in the butt is what he needed to get back to reality.

Beer and bacon are pretty good motivators too!  :towel:

20 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Yeah I agree, management is got to decide between Stecher and Hutton because together they are redundant.  FTR I like Stecher.

MDZ is redundant on LD and should be TDL traded. Hutton will get another year. Stecher is a young puck mover who is in his 2nd season and is redundant? I don't get it? 

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

MDZ is redundant on LD and should be TDL traded. Hutton will get another year. Stecher is a young puck mover who is in his 2nd season and is redundant? I don't get it? 

Right now Stecher and Hutton are too similar which makes one of them redundant.  Underwhelming offensively and neither of them are physical, pick one and move the other.  Every defensemen in the NHL should be a puck mover. 

Hutton can be packaged in a trade deal.  Big body players have to make guys pay for coming into their end of the ice.  One good hit for the entire season will not cut it.  Our defense overall is not intimidating, with too many players with glass jaws (always injured).  Since Bieksa moved no opposition players are afraid of getting smacked around.  I am not a big supporter of fighting but it would be nice to have a guy on the team that the opposition would have to answer the bell to when called upon.  Dorsett was our only guy who would go to bat for his teammates.  This type of culture starts with management and team leaders (Sedins).   If the Sedins hang around for another year the captaincy has to change.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Expectations were that our defense was going to help put up more points this year, including Hutton. 

Our D is getting exposed as mediocre offensively. And not really physical.

Without actually looking, I'd wager our D is putting up more points than last year.

Our D is mediocre in just about every facet. We're rebuilding.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Rodin, McNally, Jensen, Mallett, Friesen, Grenier, Shinkaruk, Subban = players from the Gillis regime, who were traded/let go by Benning

JB may not be done, I'm expecting Hutton to be next.

wow

quite the list of players

who missed making it in the nhl

good thing they were not kept

A good example of a lack of toughness is when Lewis slammed Boeser into the boards face first.  No one stepped up to make Lewis accountable.  Had that been a Bruin player half the team would have been on top of Lewis.  We need at least one guy on our team that will make others think before taking liberties with our more productive players.  

• Upvote 2

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/01/25/ben-hutton-is-clearly-superior-to-michael-del-zotto-why-doesnt-his-deployment-reflect-that/

Pretty interesting stuff.

The stats definitely show Hutton outperforming Del Zotto. Not that this is really surprising.

Perhaps more interesting:

I’ll spare you the below league average Del Zotto-Tanev stats, but lets take a quick look at how Hutton and Tanev are performing while paired together compared to other pairings in the league with a minimum of 200 minutes together.

Hutton/Tanev 47.74 CA/60 <— 5th best in the NHL!

Hutton/Tanev 1.28 GA/60 <— 3rd best in the NHL!

Hutton/Tanev GF% 72.22% <— 2nd best in the NHL!

Keep in mind, this is a lottery team and these two are putting up those kind of numbers. Deploying this pairing for 15-20, 5v5 minutes per night is a no brainer! Is there nobody in the organization that is bringing this to Green’s attention? And if they are, are they challenging him enough on this matter?

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/01/25/ben-hutton-is-clearly-superior-to-michael-del-zotto-why-doesnt-his-deployment-reflect-that/

Pretty interesting stuff.

The stats definitely show Hutton outperforming Del Zotto. Not that this is really surprising.

Perhaps more interesting:

Sid, I have been preaching patience on Hutton last year and again this year. Last I looked he has 190 NHL games. Almost no AHL games (4?). Pushed into top pairing in his first two seasons. MDZ does not pass the eye test for me as he tends to turn the puck and loses position in the d-zone. MDZ is a smooth skater and can carry the puck but his ozone results are not over whelming. If MDZ can get us a 3rd round pick I would take it. I think the decision on Hutton can be stretched into next season. I do think that Green has been trying to reduce the pressure on Hutton by reducing his TOI. 

• Upvote 1