The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gudbranson: Here to make game miserable for opps top players *Updated

Positive Canuck

8 hours ago, guntrix said:

If you think he'll improve dramatically then you're also an example of a prototypical CDCer. The same kind who props up our players' ceilings.

Btw, where did I say that he "peaked?" The reading comprehension on here is bewildering. 

and where did anyone say "dramatically"  try to read whats actually written.

It's not unreasonable to believe that Gudbranson can increase his offense in Vancouver. 

Florida has been a place that rushes prospects and does not invest a lot in player development.  

He will be playing with a decent puck mover in Hutton. He is only 24 and has room to improve. 

15 hours ago, J.R. said:

And Hutton's playmaking will be setting EG for some nice bombs ::D

This is the less-discussed part of it.  Gudrandson does have a hell of a shot.  He can be defensively responsible and still enter the offensive zone as a trailer.  As a right shot from the point, he may grow into some pp time as well.  I expect his offensive game to grow here, not to Brent Burns' level, but 25-30 points per year should be possible. 

2 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

This is the less-discussed part of it.  Gudrandson does have a hell of a shot.  He can be defensively responsible and still enter the offensive zone as a trailer.  As a right shot from the point, he may grow into some pp time as well.  I expect his offensive game to grow here, not to Brent Burns' level, but 25-30 points per year should be possible. 

Doubling his career high on a team that is one of the lowest scoring in the league? It would be nice but maybe in a couple of years down the road he could.

Just now, ice orca said:

Doubling his career high on a team that is one of the lowest scoring in the league? It would be nice but maybe in a couple of years down the road he could.

For sure he'd have to grow into it but he was being used in an extreme shutdown role in Florida and his stats reflect that.  On this team things will change, especially if he is paired with Hutton.   EG can make the first pass and has a bomb from the point:  let Hutton take care of the transition from D to O and suddenly EG will be getting the offensive zone time he's never had before in the NHL.  It won't change him into a completely different player, but his points will increase.  Remember, the guy is only 24 and is still developing as a player. 

10 hours ago, Googlie said:

I wonder how he'd pair with Edler.  Hutton/Tanev were pretty decent down the stretch, and Gud with Alex might free up Edler even more than Tanev did.  Would be awesome to see Edler replicate his (almost) 50 point season of 2011/12

This is definitely an interesting question. I think they could be a first-rate shutdown pairing but I'm not so sure about their ability to generate offense.  Edler got his high point seasons when paired with solid puck movers like Erhoff and Salo, who set him up after entering the offensive zone.  When asked to play that puck-moving role, Edler's game goes south.  Gudbrandson certainly isn't the answer to that deficiency in Edler's game.  If anything, he is an even more extreme version of what Edler is, namely a strong defensive D with a good shot but questionable puck-handling. 

He is a beast in that he hits hard. Someone here noted he was only 81st in hitting in the league, which is fine. He doesn't just hit, hit and hit more it's just that he hits and when he does it seems to be heavy. This is only from clips I've seen of him. I'm happy with that, I don't need a player who just hits and does nothing else. If he hits 3 times a game but they are crushing or just hard hits that can change the tone of a game.

He doesn't have a lot of points and I don't expect him to get a lot next season either. If he can do 20+ that'd be great, but it'll be more about finding a good pairing that has chemistry and can play together. Clear the net, grind on opposing teams. He may be a decent addition to PP and work that heavy point shot. Don't rely on him to drive play but have set plays to bomb some shots. Know they player you have and use him to best of his abilities. We trade for a player who is defensive not offensive and I'll never expect that from this type of player. Playing solid defense is what I will be expecting.

Outside of points this guy's attitude seems great. He wants to be here, he wants to play, he wants to be physical and tough and make life miserable for other teams. We need that, and that isn't anything you can measure in a stat. It doesn't mean he has to take heads off every game but he plays physical and we need that, need other teams to know we have that. How many comments were made about it being missing from our game? He's a leader and can mentor the young guys, even better. He will stick up for teammates, even better as no more taking liberties with the Sedins or anyone else for that matter. How do you measure that? These are things that cost us a good first round pick and the early second. He won't put up big points, he won't drive play but do you really think Benning thought that's what he'd do when he traded for him? Benning has filled a hole we had and had the guts to make the move. There are teams out there who are kicking themselves for not getting a player like this. Will it work out only time will tell but im sure down for watching it!

Welcome EG and good luck.

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

This is definitely an interesting question. I think they could be a first-rate shutdown pairing but I'm not so sure about their ability to generate offense.  Edler got his high point seasons when paired with solid puck movers like Erhoff and Salo, who set him up after entering the offensive zone.  When asked to play that puck-moving role, Edler's game goes south.  Gudbrandson certainly isn't the answer to that deficiency in Edler's game.  If anything, he is an even more extreme version of what Edler is, namely a strong defensive D with a good shot but questionable puck-handling. 

This is what we have been hearing.  He certainly hasn't had the offensive opportunities that Edler has had; especially all those juicy PP minutes.  Apparently he has a powerful shot.  I will be interested to see if he gets more offensive time with the Canucks.

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

It's not unreasonable to believe that Gudbranson can increase his offense in Vancouver. 

Florida has been a place that rushes prospects and does not invest a lot in player development.  

He will be playing with a decent puck mover in Hutton. He is only 24 and has room to improve. 

If he isn't starting in his own end 70% of the time his numbers should go up. In Florida he was sheltering ekblad/campbell. No need to shelter tanev/edler, should make for a more even split in his zone starts.

I'm hoping for a little bit more out of him in Vancouver. I definitely want to see him get top four minutes and more production as far as points and physicality are concerned. His defensive side seems to have matured and it needs to stay there. If he can put up 20 points and keep his defensive dependability, I'd be very happy with this deal.

49 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

.  Apparently he has a powerful shot.  I will be interested to see if he gets more offensive time with the Canucks.

So does Pedan (won the hardest shot in the internal skills competition, remember) but WD never had him on the PP point in the few games he played at season's end

I'm not going to hold my breath for it but if he was ever going to give the offense a try I bet now would be the time. New team with a bit of a green light beside a blossoming puck mover. Being the year before he signs his big prime years contract probably has him thinking about it a bit on his way to the rink. Hey if these guys want me to shoot the puck more maybe I can pad my stats a bit. If I get a chance to shoot or jump in the rush tonight I'll go for it. 

I'm hoping this guy can make all that difference, as I've said before. 

We have some solid shut down guys, not a lot of nastiness on the back end. This will hopefully implant that seed into our opponents, that if they run one of our guys, there's some big nasty to answer too. 

Also based on what we've been exposed too of his interviews since coming this way, he seems to ooze enthusiasm and leadership, another this we could use more of.

As much as I love Summer, is it fall yet? I'm dying for some Canucks hockey and slaying some steelhead!

5 hours ago, appleboy said:

After hearing Matthias name it gave me a thought.

Get rid of Vey, resign Shawn and play him on the 4th line with Gaunce and Granlund. 

We had Matthias for a while. He wasn't a very good fit. He did better in Toronto, but still, he's not going to improve the team. pass.

Dan Hamhuis only had 23 points in his first year as Canuck, and he's still an effective player. I'm guessing if Gudbranson gets a career high in points next year people will be satisfied.

14 or more please Erik! 1 point every 5 games will get him to 16

I honestly could not care less what he does on the other side of the red line.  This team was a train wreck in their own end last year, I want him to dominate in the dzone and bring stability there and help transition to offense.  

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

I honestly could not care less what he does on the other side of the red line.  This team was a train wreck in their own end last year, I want him to dominate in the dzone and bring stability there and help transition to offense.  

amen.

Tryamkin,Gudbranson,hopefully an improved Pedan + standing taller versions of Edler and Sbisa will make the front of our net quite inhospitable offsetting Tanev, bible thumping Hamhuis + midget Biega handing out massages.

Archived