The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-17 Utica Comets Thread

Does Archibald ever drop the gloves?  He's a big guy and I remember him doing it at least once with the Canucks in the past.

I know it's not the deciding factor, but we could definitely use some toughness in the forward group.

20 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Does Archibald ever drop the gloves?  He's a big guy and I remember him doing it at least once with the Canucks in the past.

I know it's not the deciding factor, but we could definitely use some toughness in the forward group.

Not as often as he used to. Now that he's playing on the Comets first line and being used in all situations I think he realizes that he's too valuable to be off the ice for five minutes. That might change if he gets a shot in the NHL in a bottom six role again, he can really throw 'em when he wants to...

10 hours ago, stawns said:

Missed both last nights and today's game, so thanks to all for the updates.  Very happy to see them back on track today with a big win.  I've really liked the progression ion rendulic's game in the last month or so, and especially since his call up........he's playing with so much more confidence.  Labate as well.

Demko is a machine, but I hope they give him the Corey Schneider treatment and let him over cook a bit in the AHL, rather than bring him up too early.

I read somewhere that Dan Cloutier said a goalie prospect needs 100 AHL games just to get into the groove to be an NHL goalie. With that in mind I would suggest Demko is getting another year in Utica at least, which seems like a smart move to me. He is a young kid and confidence is a huge factor in learning anything. Can you imagine how much he is learning at the moment in Utica as opposed to how punishing it would be on the back end of a team like the Canucks at the moment.

Time and Patience are the key, I hope the Canucks exercise both. 

10 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

He does and he is pretty capable in that department.  He has dropped a little weight to improve his skating and quickness and doesn't fight nearly as much as he used to but he probably has had the most fights of any Utica Comet since the franchise has been here.  Archie can check people on the forecheck as the video above shows.  Labate and Pedan are probably primary pugilists now.  Cassels even had a pretty good tilt recently.  

11 hours ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

I read somewhere that Dan Cloutier said a goalie prospect needs 100 AHL games just to get into the groove to be an NHL goalie. With that in mind I would suggest Demko is getting another year in Utica at least, which seems like a smart move to me. He is a young kid and confidence is a huge factor in learning anything. Can you imagine how much he is learning at the moment in Utica as opposed to how punishing it would be on the back end of a team like the Canucks at the moment.

Time and Patience are the key, I hope the Canucks exercise both. 

We might apply this line of thinking to Jake & PWF's as well.

21 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

By the looks of things I'll probably be watching a lot of Utica next year. Is there a place I should subscribe to or a handy link (:bigblush:) I could use to watch every Comets game?

I'll PM you the link to where I usually have access to most of their games. They certainly look bound to make some noise in the playoffs this year.

On the out of town scoreboard, Toronto beats Manitoba today. So the North Division standings now look like this:

Syracuse, 61 GP/71 PTS

Albany, 61 GP/70 PTS

Toronto, 62 GP/69 PTS

St. John's, 62 GP/66 PTS

Utica, 61 GP/65 PTS

A Toronto loss could've been a great opportunity for Utica to gain some ground, but they'll have to continue to do their own part and just keep winning for now. Syracuse has a game tomorrow, and then everyone is in action on Friday.

Does anyone have the current lineup that the Comet's are rolling with? That can be including guys that are injured, healthy scratched, etc. I would just like a general feel to who is on the team and at what position besides our young prospects. I saw the one from about 3 pages back but I think that one was changed due to injuries. 

If someone could do that it would be appreciated! 

Lines get mixed up often but something like this.  Pelletier plays up and down the lineup.  Zalewski does too and plays wing and center. 

Kunyk Valk Virtanen

Archibald Bancks Grenier 

Labate Cassels Carcone 

Zalewski Pelletier Rendulic  

Marco Roy plays in Labate's spot I think when Labate is up.  Hamilton is hurt.  Emerson Clark is new and got a game in with the 4th line with Grenier up.   

Mceneny Sautner

Robak Subban

Shields Billins 

Pedan scratched 2 of last 3 games.  Negrin is injured.  Nillson is 7th d man 

Demko Gartieg 

14 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

On the out of town scoreboard, Toronto beats Manitoba today. So the North Division standings now look like this:

Syracuse, 61 GP/71 PTS

Albany, 61 GP/70 PTS

Toronto, 62 GP/69 PTS

St. John's, 62 GP/66 PTS

Utica, 61 GP/65 PTS

A Toronto loss could've been a great opportunity for Utica to gain some ground, but they'll have to continue to do their own part and just keep winning for now. Syracuse has a game tomorrow, and then everyone is in action on Friday.

Damn I really want utica to sneak in. Even better if it's at the expense of the Marlies. 

I wonder with the hope that boeser signs and gets some Canuck games in and maybe a Utica playoff run. What is the likelihood of boeser gaunce and goldobin going down to help Utica in their playoff run. First response would think oh of course, but I wonder if coach Green would do something like that to disrupt the balance of the team that got there. Sitting an entire line basically is bold. 

Goldobin gaunce boeser new top line?

4 minutes ago, manroth19 said:

I wonder with the hope that boeser signs and gets some Canuck games in and maybe a Utica playoff run. What is the likelihood of boeser gaunce and goldobin going down to help Utica in their playoff run. First response would think oh of course, but I wonder if coach Green would do something like that to disrupt the balance of the team that got there. Sitting an entire line basically is bold. 

Unfortunately it's either the NHL or the AHL for Boeser after his college season ends but he can't do both.  If he signs an ELC beginning in the 2016-17 season so that he can get NHL games this year he will not be eligible to play in the AHL this season.  If he signs an ATO with the comets for this season and his ELC with Vancouver beginning in the 2017-18 season he can play in Utica immediately.

Most college players want to sign that NHL contract immediately because it allows them to burn a year off their ELC and get to become a RFA and ultimately a UFA a year early.  NHL GMs should be pushing back on this because it creates a contract negotiation a year earlier than need be.  Zach Werenski signed an AHL ATO a year ago and led his team to a Calder Cup championship and is having a terrific NHL rookie season..  Dylan Larkin also signed an AHL ATO so he could play in the Calder Cup playoffs and went on to have a great NHL rookie season.  Benning shouldn't cave just to get Boeser signed and should convince him of the valuable development experience of playing in the AHL after the college season ends.

11 minutes ago, manroth19 said:

If Boeser plays with the Canucks he can't play with the Comets since he wasn't on the clear day roster at the deadline. But if he signs an ATO he can play for the Comets, and not the Canucks. So its one or the other, depending on when his season finishes... or if Boeser is even interested in playing in Utica to end the year.

Gaunce and Goldobin will be massive additions to the Comets though. It means Green can create either two "top lines", one anchored by Archibald and Valk and the other by Gaunce/Goldobin, or spread the scoring throughout the lineup and make every line a threat. I don't think Green would have any problem scratching guys like Carcone, Roy, and Clark for players like those.

Thanks for clarifying boys, totally forgot how that worked. The whole signing the the NHL contract to burn the year thing isn't always such a positive. The extra year to establish yourself and stay away from the bridge deal. Grandlunds making under a mill on a bridge where if he had 1 more year look at him now. If bo didn't have all 3 years of his elc he would have for sure got a bridge deal @ prolly 3 mill where as now the option long or short term is up to him. Same with tryamkin he's for sure getting bridged this summer for prolly 2 years where as if he had 1 more elc year and played well he'd be in the same boat as bo. 

Maybe I'm just convincing myself in hopes boeser plays with the comets for the stretch run lol

4 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

If Boeser plays with the Canucks he can't play with the Comets since he wasn't on the clear day roster at the deadline. But if he signs an ATO he can play for the Comets, and not the Canucks. So its one or the other, depending on when his season finishes... or if Boeser is even interested in playing in Utica to end the year.

Gaunce and Goldobin will be massive additions to the Comets though. It means Green can create either two "top lines", one anchored by Archibald and Valk and the other by Gaunce/Goldobin, or spread the scoring throughout the lineup and make every line a threat. I don't think Green would have any problem scratching guys like Carcone, Roy, and Clark for players like those.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Green would be happy to find room for Gaunce in his lineup, he knows very well what Gaunce adds to the team. I'm not quite as sure that he would play Boeser or Goldie though. I still remember when Hutton came to training camp looking like a five year veteran, how surprised I was that Green hadn't even tried him out a few months earlier when he had the chance.

Archived