The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Assistant Coach to Replace Gulutzan

Lui's Knob

21 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Ferraro said that he would be interested in management not coaching.  He also said that it would be difficult for him at this point because of his young family. An offer from Vancouver might work for him since he lives here. 

So he can basically talk the talk then.....

Can you imagine the reaction when Benning spots Boston a pick to get Lando here to make dad happy?

2 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

So he can basically talk the talk then.....

Can you imagine the reaction when Benning spots Boston a pick to get Lando here to make dad happy?

Grandpa would be happy then because little Enzo would live here year round.  

Seriously, I got the impression that Ferraro would say yes to a position that could develop into a GM's job.  But no to coaching because of the travel and the hours that an assistant puts in.  I think he's got the brains for it. 

Or, follow a similar path as fellow broadcaster and ex-player John Davidson who became President of the St Louis Blues at age 53.  Ferraro is 51.

On June 17, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Lui's Knob said:

Now that it is official and Green will NOT be an assistant coach with the team (will stay in Utica), who will be the next assistant head coach?

one of the news writers suggested Chyenoweth (former Islanders and Bruins player, connected to Benning/WD?) but don't know much about him. Would like a special teams coach and someone good with youth but experienced. Who's available? 

Whom ever coaches the Harlem Globe Trotters.  

I wish Travis Green changed his mind. It's a long jump between head of there, and head of here. A season of being an assistant is invaluable experience. Willie is a great coach but is now on a short leash. Another year of missing the playoffs and I can smell the vacancy.

Said vacancy will undoubtedly be filled by Green. Would feel better if he had a year under his belt at the time

4 minutes ago, insomniac604 said:

I wish Travis Green changed his mind. It's a long jump between head of there, and head of here. A season of being an assistant is invaluable experience. Willie is a great coach but is now on a short leash. Another year of missing the playoffs and I can smell the vacancy.

Said vacancy will undoubtedly be filled by Green. Would feel better if he had a year under his belt at the time

Maybe Green is banking on a promotion from the Canucks if things fall through with Willie.

He seems to be the next in line right now.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Maybe Green is banking on a promotion from the Canucks if things fall through with Willie.

He seems to be the next in line right now.

Absolutely agree. But I wished that he took the assistant job to get a foot in. Two ways it plays out ; he either successes Willie or uses the position to leverage himself a new team the following year.

Willie came up from the same place. I love him as a coach and am confident about next season. But if he fails, I would be hesitant to hire someone lacking NHL experience.

I can totally understand somebody not wanting to go from "head" to "assistant". But there are nuances within the league, and around the players, you have to learn. I'd rather he learn now than learn on the job.

4 minutes ago, insomniac604 said:

Absolutely agree. But I wished that he took the assistant job to get a foot in. Two ways it plays out ; he either successes Willie or uses the position to leverage himself a new team the following year.

Willie came up from the same place. I love him as a coach and am confident about next season. But if he fails, I would be hesitant to hire someone lacking NHL experience.

I can totally understand somebody not wanting to go from "head" to "assistant". But there are nuances within the league, and around the players, you have to learn. I'd rather he learn now than learn on the job.

I honestly would rather him continue to work well with our young players, if Green comes up here we are just having to fill another hole

ahhhh nuff of this. If Canucks are serious then please get a assistant who knows the game and has a stanely cup ring, it will make a huge difference. Willie sometimes needs a freaking talking to when he does stunts on the bench. An assistant coach should be one the players admire and has good communication skills with the young youth we hope Benning can get, even though he's far too busy dreaming about sedins lifting a cup.

5 minutes ago, mpt said:

I honestly would rather him continue to work well with our young players, if Green comes up here we are just having to fill another hole

rather "fill a hole" in Utica than one in Vancouver

Upcoming players are a big factor. but there are many good AHL coaches available, including several former-NHL coaches. the NHL is a whole new beast that you only figure out from experience.

Willie is a total players coach and we saw him have some trouble when it came to match ups, face offs and trusting players vs their actual contributions. the last season was kind of a wash because with so many injuries nobody had an opportunity for anything. but the first season, especially in the playoffs, was a wakeup call. 

In today's NHL situational play is a huge factor. you can't trust your guys to be good. you have to put them in the best possible position for their skillset. Willie is still grasping this. Travis can only learn it first-hand. Jumping in might work, but probably not

3 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

ahhhh nuff of this. If Canucks are serious then please get a assistant who knows the game and has a stanely cup ring, it will make a huge difference. Willie sometimes needs a freaking talking to when he does stunts on the bench. An assistant coach should be one the players admire and has good communication skills with the young youth we hope Benning can get, even though he's far too busy dreaming about sedins lifting a cup.

Too bad Niedermeyer isn't into coaching yet cause he would be the perfect fit.

Soft spoken guy but one of those guys that commands instant respect. He's been around the game long enough I'm sure he would have invaluable knowledge for the young guys.

12 hours ago, Boudrias said:

It was bad enough watching him cry on the ice and now you want the same behind the bench?

I think Naslund would have a vision of the game as a goal scorer most other coaches don't have, and pass some of that on to the younger guys, so yah.  

41 minutes ago, insomniac604 said:

Regardless, it is a win-win scenario for this organization. What Green has done for Utica is absolutely amazing. 

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I think Naslund would have a vision of the game as a goal scorer most other coaches don't have, and pass some of that on to the younger guys, so yah.  

I kind of envision him as another Gretzky... the coach

2 hours ago, Tomato Pajamas said:

Regardless, it is a win-win scenario for this organization. What Green has done for Utica is absolutely amazing. 

not a win if he goes back to Utica. I mean, that's an immediate win, but it means he will get a HC job next year for sure. if Willie does well, that prices Travis out of town

an honest win-win would be TG becoming an assistant to WD and moving forward from there. TG battling for a head coach spot is a predicament, for sure. we are so very lucky to see him not move this year.

4 hours ago, Tomato Pajamas said:

How can it be a win if Flames picked Gulutzan over Green?

I know people here are happy that Flames didn't pick Green but don't you think if the Flames thought Green was a better and more ready NHL Head coach they would have went for him and not Gulutzan? Maybe Gulutzan could have been the better option for the team if WD does get fired?

Archived