The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

4 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

The difference between Hutton and Juolevi is that Hutton played in a man's body, whereas Juolevi is still an 18 year old kid. Meaning Hutton, although still needing to put on muscle, has most if not all his body structures fully developed. Juolevi, on the other hand, still has his body structures developing. Defencemen are prone to hits despite their playstyle. Some get hit more than others. I wouldn't want my future stud defenseman getting eaten alive in the corners and developing recurring back or shoulder issues later on in his career. Especially out in here in the Pacific Division where we face Lucic, Kassian, Brown, King, Ferland (is he still with Calgary?), Getzlaf, Kesler, Stewart. etc. every so often?

If he does well at camp, then reward him with max 9 NHL games, professional-level training and coaching, and NHL salary. Give him a taste so he gets even hungrier, but also limit the amount of risk you subject him to.

Plays elusve among junior aged players, who most likely do not play at the NHL speed and pace. He could very well take some hits as he starts out, as he adjusts to the pro speed and pace. 

Looking at the Hutton feature it looks like he is thickening up through the torso this summer. I am sure there has been lots of video sessions studying his game and where he can improve.

We have some time with Juolevi. A stretched out 9 game stint at most. Give him a pay check, give him some direction of what the club wants for him.  Send him back to work on gaining size and dominating in Juniors. He won't be there for long. 

6 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

The difference between Hutton and Juolevi is that Hutton played in a man's body, whereas Juolevi is still an 18 year old kid. Meaning Hutton, although still needing to put on muscle, has most if not all his body structures fully developed. Juolevi, on the other hand, still has his body structures developing. Defencemen are prone to hits despite their playstyle. Some get hit more than others. I wouldn't want my future stud defenseman getting eaten alive in the corners and developing recurring back or shoulder issues later on in his career. Especially out in here in the Pacific Division where we face Lucic, Kassian, Brown, King, Ferland (is he still with Calgary?), Getzlaf, Kesler, Stewart. etc. every so often?

If he does well at camp, then reward him with max 9 NHL games, professional-level training and coaching, and NHL salary. Give him a taste so he gets even hungrier, but also limit the amount of risk you subject him to.

Plays elusve among junior aged players, who most likely do not play at the NHL speed and pace. He could very well take some hits as he starts out, as he adjusts to the pro speed and pace. 

By all means, I expect him back in London. I was merely commenting on his play style. 

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

People say this every year about their favourite prospect. Usually, making space for someone - even for 9 games - takes a spot from someone else. And in this case, we already have 9 waiver eligible D. We're already going to have to send one D, maybe Biega, down on waivers, so who else do we send down and risk losing to make room for Juolevi (even for nine games)?

True. I think Biega is likely bound for Utica any way once we have a full roster on the blue line, but who knows as u said they could just as likely send the Juolevi straight to London  .... who know speculative at best

I personally think juolevi should go to london this year, but I dont think it would be the worst idea to keep him if he earns à spot during training camp.

This situation is pretty similarto the hanifin situation of last year, an 18 year old drafted #5 who is big But not fully developped physically.

Carolina chose to play him and hé played 77 games, 22 points for a décent rookie year. I could see our OJ situation going either way, I guess its all up to OJ.

35 minutes ago, SvenBae said:

Juolevi declined trying out for the Finnish Junior team to prepare for the Canucks' camp?

Interesting, sounds like he may be serious about trying to crack the roster this season.

Honestly I don't think he even needs to try out.

If he's in junior next season the Finnish team will add him.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Honestly I don't think he even needs to try out.

If he's in junior next season the Finnish team will add him.

He's accomplished all you can pretty well accomplish on the World Junior stage as well.

On 8/2/2016 at 6:15 PM, SvenBae said:

Juolevi declined trying out for the Finnish Junior team to prepare for the Canucks' camp?

Interesting, sounds like he may be serious about trying to crack the roster this season.

I LIKE IT. Not becuase I think he can make it, but he's coming at it with the mindset that he's going too. Or at least, the mindset that he needs to do everything he can to make it to the league, even though it seems incredibly unlikely. His 1 and only focus is making this team, and being an impact player. Even more so than representing his country. I don't think he will make it as our team on the backend has been completely revamped and he doesn't have Hutton's luxury of taking advantage of a weak d core. Still, I'm just even more condifent that he will be in the NHL soon, even if not this upcoming season, and he knows exactly what he has to do to make it, and more importantly, he's willing to do it. 

I honestly think that in the future, with Bo, our captain leading the forwards, Juolevi will be our leader on the backend, and most likely get the A. (I could also see Gudbranson getting an A soon as well, but that's another story for another day)

I think if he can come into camp at 195 with an extra step there's a good chance he makes the team. Otherwise he's better off in London for the year. The only issue is that if he makes the team someone else is going down, or being traded I suppose. 

29 minutes ago, Derp... said:

I think if he can come into camp at 195 with an extra step there's a good chance he makes the team. Otherwise he's better off in London for the year. The only issue is that if he makes the team someone else is going down, or being traded I suppose. 

I have no problem with Larsen being waived or traded if Juolevi makes the team.

That being said I would give him a 5% chance of making it.

Edited by DeNiro

I just can't picture it...unless we get 3 or 4 D. men down in training camp and he is absolutely killing it offensively and holding his own defensively.  By most accounts Stetcher looked better at development camp so even with 3 of our top 8 D. going down to injury that still leaves Stetcher, Subban , Pedan and Biega...unless Oli is scoring and dishing assists all preseason as well as 4 D. down...

Next year i think is his rookie season, it's just to risky, i doubt he even gets 9 games unless we have those injuries.

That said if there wasn't a chance the universe wouldn't be right about it...anything can happen...and probably has...

39 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I have no problem with Larsen being waived or traded if Juolevi makes the team.

That being said I would give him a 5% chance of making it.

I think it's more than 5, realistically he's already got some of the finer details down defensively, just needs the size and speed to compete with men. probably more like 20% in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Derp... said:

I think it's more than 5, realistically he's already got some of the finer details down defensively, just needs the size and speed to compete with men. probably more like 20% in my opinion.

Even if he was close I think management would send him back to junior. They'd rather be slow with him than risk any chance of rushing him.

He would have to have a Hutton like training camp, which I think is unlikely since Hutton was 22 and had much more time to refine his game.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Even if he was close I think management would send him back to junior. They'd rather be slow with him than risk any chance of rushing him.

He would have to have a Hutton like training camp, which I think is unlikely since Hutton was 22 and had much more time to refine his game.

It's true it's not likely. We don't really have a spot so he would literally have to be one of our top 3 D men every game he plays to even get his 9 game tryout.

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I think it would have to be even better than that. Hutton was coming into a truly shallow D core; fighting for a spot with the likes of Weber, Bartkowski, Corrado and Biega.

Juolevi would have to beat out legitimate NHL'ers to stick on the left side.

I'd love to see it, but I'd give it even less than 5%.