The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

4 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

If Juolevi's offense doesn't translate as expected, he will still be a good shut down defender like Hjalmarsson. At least that's how I see it.

I still wouldn't expect him to be as great as Hjalmarsson defensively, but I guess if he doesn't pan out offensively he can focus more on defense and take less risks.

51 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He isn't like Maata. Maata isn't as good of a playmaker, skater or as smooth. Juolevi has more offensive upside.

Somewhere along a mix of OEL/Vlasic is where I would put in terms of his his play style.

There's a reason I said 'basement'. Pretty much his offense doesn't translate or develop at the NHL level and he develops 'poorly', a 'basement' comparison of Maata is not far off IMO. That's pretty much worst-case and IMO, unlikely.

Watching the knights-Battalion game. Juolevi is soo well positioned on defense, he's always in good position for a stick check. He's not overly physical but he doesn't need to be because he's just so smart in his own end cough *lidstom* cough. No but seriously he's amazing in his own end, his hockey sense is top notch. The only issue I see is he looks a little tired and lazy out there, I assume it has something to do with his athletisicm. A good offseason in the gym should solve that.

1 hour ago, Time Lord said:

I still wouldn't expect him to be as great as Hjalmarsson defensively, but I guess if he doesn't pan out offensively he can focus more on defense and take less risks.

Exactly. If he doesn't get his way offensively at the next level, he can focus on being even more defensively aware than he already is. 

28 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

That is beautiful. Disguising a shot and putting it perfectly on the forward's stick giving him a wide open net. That's some crazy skill there.

How can he do that, but NEVER LOOK at the puck?  He's got star # 1 Norris winner written all over him.  There are some posters here who have never played with a Norris calibre d man, so they just don't understand his importance.  That's okay though.  Alf still loves them, even though they lack true hockey knowledge at the elite level.  

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

How can he do that, but NEVER LOOK at the puck?  He's got star # 1 Norris winner written all over him.  There are some posters here who have never played with a Norris calibre d man, so they just don't understand his importance.  That's okay though.  Alf still loves them, even though they lack true hockey knowledge at the elite level.  

Lol...Who did you play with.... Doug Harvey or Red Kelly?

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

It's nice to see all the love for Juolevi in here... He's definitely our best prospect in my eyes. Can't wait to see him again at WJC (and Boeser) being the leader on that team. 

It's a toss up between him and Boeser. Both are showing very well and seem to be character guys. I like that JB seems to be getting character players with these two, added bonus to their abilities. 

5 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

It's nice to see all the love for Juolevi in here... He's definitely our best prospect in my eyes. Can't wait to see him again at WJC (and Boeser) being the leader on that team. 

Is Boeser still eligible for the WJC?  If so, awesome. Juolevi is eligible for two more seasons.  Tons of room for him to develop and grow. 

Juolevi is unreal. I can't believe that he didn't even hesitate on what he was going to do with the puck when he recieved the pass. He knew exactly what he was going to do. He's always a step ahead of everyone on the ice. If he becomes a Ohlund or a Salo type of player, watch out. He will be one of franchise's best defencemen

Edited by Beary Sweet

With Tryamkin and Stecher on the Vancouver scene already it makes Joulevi's arrival less imperative and should enhance his development opportunity. Classic Canuck is to bring him into the NHL to quickly. I prefer a season in Utica as more a matter of course. With the current youth already on the Van d-core it is likely how he evolves.  

• Upvote 1