The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

5 hours ago, Jiggs50 said:

Was never a Tkachuk fan but man is he playing well. 

Puts pressure on guys that were drafted ahead of him. That list doesn't just include Juolevi but also Pul and Dubois. 

I felt the exact same way.  I was really hoping we didn't draft Tkachuk.  Looks like I was wrong (luckily I'm not a scout).

OJ still looks like he should develop into an impact Dman though, so I am happy.

4 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

Based on what? Formulate your answer.

Based on him proving nothing so far, other than a great junior career. Tkachuk is already producing at the NHL level which would have been a big boost to the team. 

There are so many questions surrounding OJ simpl because he is a defensemen and takes longer to develop. We fans wanted a great top 6 forward.

Also, Warhippy is not a nice guy.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Isn't Tkatchuk already producing, and impacting games, like a top six forward?  

Tkachuk is a forward..Joulevi is a Dman..there's no comparison here..Not very often you see an 18 yr old Dman come straight out of junior into the NHL...There's only 3 players from the 1st round currently making an impact in the NHL (all forwards)..Does that mean the other 27 will be lesser players or busts?..Certainly not.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Tkachuk is a forward..Joulevi is a Dman..there's no comparison here..Not very often you see an 18 yr old Dman come straight out of junior into the NHL...There's only 3 players from the 1st round currently making an impact in the NHL (all forwards)..Does that mean the other 27 will be lesser players or busts?..Certainly not.

Not saying Juiolevi is a bust, or will not become a top four dman.  Simply stating a fact, that Tkatchuk is producing, and impacting games like a top six forward.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Not saying Juiolevi is a bust, or will not become a top four dman.  Simply stating a fact, that Tkatchuk is producing, and impacting games like a top six forward.  

You need to go away

Just like 48 hours.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, WTG said:

2nd point of the game

https://streamable.com/8ik01

4 hours ago, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

Can you guys shut up about Tkachuk. Too bad for some of you that we can't go back in time to select him but I'm perfectly fine with Juolevi. Now let's talk about him. Juolevi is on pace to break his point totals from last year by quite a margin even without Marner, Tkachuk and Dvorak. I think that's a big positive. The guy also looks like he's on a mission after coming back from the WJC and hes playing with some fire inside of him.

The positive thing is... that we are no longer hearing about how Sam Bennett is going the next boy wonder. You know the kid that was herald so much in his first emergence into the NHL that people started to puke a little every time the colour commenters gushed over him. The kid is in his Draft+3 season and is showing no signs of improving on his last season. Is it a sophomore slump? Or is his ceiling really not that high? We really do not know at this point and the same can be said of Tkachuk. Will he regress next year when the rest of league catches up to his antics or will he continue to evolve his game?  

What I do know though, is that if what we have in Joulevi is sampled in the clip above then I am ecstatic to have him as our prospect! Our team has been SO lacking on that left point for so long it is ridiculous! Basically ever since Edler started to regress after the 2011-12 season we have been missing that element in the offensive zone along the blueline. Edler, imo, never really reached the potential we thought he had offensively either, so if Juolevi can come in and bring that game to our team we are in for a real boost to our overall game! 

• Upvote 2

I remember being devastated at Dubois being taken off the board. Nonetheless, I wasn't happy nor sad at Juo being taken by us. I just didn't want Tkachuk. 

Tkachuk will not become as great as he's looking like now, you can quote me on it. He's good in a bunch of aspects but not great at anything. His point totals right now are a reflection of his overabundance of PP time and the fact that he's found a lot of chemistry with two guys who are having great seasons. Bennett is a better player and even he's stagnated. 

Given who we had to pick, I'm content with Juo. I'm hoping that he becomes a good dman for us although I'm skeptical that he's top 2 quality.

• Upvote 1

I was very happy with this pick as well. Didn't want a jerk on the team and Tkachuk seems to have a lot of Kesler's attitude. OJ will probably need a year or so in the AHL but long term he should be a way more valuable player than Tkachuk, he sees the ice so well and thinks the game at such an elite level even if he doesn't translate into an Erik Karlsson type power play quarterback he has the potential to be the best defenseman Vancouver has ever had. I would be more than happy if he developed into a Paul Reinhart type dman 

Edited by JamesBlondage

1 minute ago, JamesBlondage said:

I was very happy with this pick as well. Didn't want a jerk on the team and Tkachuk seems to have a lot of Kesler's attitude. OJ will probably need a year or so in the AHL but long term he should be a way more valuable player than Tkachuk, he sees the ice so well and thinks the game at such an elite level even if he doesn't translate into an Erik Karlsson type power play quarterback he has the potential to be the best defenseman Vancouver has ever had. I would be more than happy if he developed into a Paul Reinhart type dman 

Have you ever heard, "a bird in hand..."?

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Probably lesser players than matthews and laine but yes you can't compare forwards to defensmen when they are young and developing.

Also i think some people have too high off expectations for the kid. It was said during the draft that there was no number 1 dman available. Joulevi was also considered a safer pick when compared to the other dman, meaning likely his ceiling is a number 2.

Perhaps a tanev with more offense?

Edited by Conscience

Juolevi looks like a much different player than in the beginning of the season. He's looking like the player he was last season again. I think the WJC and the accompanying criticism really helped motivate him to show what he can really do.

8x0kf6.png

Edited by funkyfresh
  • Upvote 4

Captain Obvious to the rescue. Can we summon Captain Hindsight and have a party?

And because it's directed towards Alf????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????/