The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Trading a recently signed FA is ok as long as it was a 1 year deal and you are trading them at the deadline to contending teams. If you signed someone to a multiple year deal, then trade them, it starts looking and smelling bad.

35 minutes ago, gurn said:

Trading a recently signed FA is ok as long as it was a 1 year deal and you are trading them at the deadline to contending teams. If you signed someone to a multiple year deal, then trade them, it starts looking and smelling bad.

...agreed, and makes signing future FAs more challenging.

16 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

I hate to steer the topic back toward Olli Juolevi but does anyone here know why he isn't with team Finland at the summer showcase?

I don't think there has been an official statement released, but the speculation is that since he is a lock for the team his time is better spent taking a break from playing and working in the gym (also bettering his chances of making the Canucks come training camp) than playing in meaningless games. For what it's worth, Miro Heiskanen is also not at the summer showcase. 

• Upvote 1

And Gordie:

Related image

C'mon Olli, aim for the top.

Hang with Palmu in the gym and Guddy & Gadget in the ring.

Bring it when you're on the ice; even Orr was tough.

Put muscle on that Scandinavian frame and bring out your inner Thor.

We all know the talents you have now, bring out something new and add to the package.

Get angry at anyone who wants to keep you out of the show and take it out on your competition on the ice.

Ditch Mr. Nice Guy and bring on an all-pro top-D with attitude and even a mean streak.

Take every penalty until you've got a rep like Pronger who could get away with almost anything.

Mow 'em down with your slapshot until they're afraid to block it and aim for the goalie's head on your first slapshot of the game.

Make room for yourself cuz nobody's gonna give it to you.

Etc.

Look forward to that rat Marchand pulling that $&!# he did on Salo.

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Too many bodies on D (and forward)

Jou's going to go to Europe and develop some more.

What if he comes to camp at 200 plus pounds and picks up where he left off at prospects game (men amongst boys - clearly best skater on the ice and beyond fully in control at all times) do you artificially send him to Europe?   He is already the most talented Dman in the Canuck organization and with his added muscle with no loss of speed, why count him out?   

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What if he comes to camp at 200 plus pounds and picks up where he left off atprospects game (men amongst boys - clearly best skater on the ice and beyond fully in control at all times) do you artificially send him to Europe?   He is already the most talented Dman in the Canuck organization and with his added muscle with no loss of speed, why count him out?   

Has he been lifting?or is he bigger has anyone seen? 

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

What if he comes to camp at 200 plus pounds and picks up where he left off at prospects game (men amongst boys - clearly best skater on the ice and beyond fully in control at all times) do you artificially send him to Europe?   He is already the most talented Dman in the Canuck organization and with his added muscle with no loss of speed, why count him out?   

Stecher outplayed all the defence last camp and preseason, and he got cut.  I hope they don't make the same mistake with our d this year too.

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Has he been lifting?or is he bigger has anyone seen? 

I haven't seen, but he apparently showed up at prospects camp at almost 200 and didn't join Finland at the World Juniors summer camp because it was reported his time was better spent working in the gym. So I haven't seen photos, but by all accounts he's spending a lot of time in the gym this summer. I'm waiting to see how he looks in preseason though, if he is getting physically outmatched still I'm all for sending him to Finland to spend a year with Salo.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Stecher outplayed all the defence last camp and preseason, and he got cut.  I hope they don't make the same mistake with our d this year too.

One of the problems this year though is that in order for Juolevi to make the team one of our defensemen will have to be traded (most likely Hutton). So he will have to definitively outplay the other defensemen to get a spot, he can't just be marginally better than them. There is always a risk that a rookie will be very inconsistent and go into major slump, whereas the current defensemen have proven themselves over full seasons.

Edited by Diamonds
Spelling