The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

We were doin' this drama queen, nail biting over a smiling kid from Abby, as well. So what? Move on to the next concern?!

To be fair, that kid from Abby still has a long ways to go! 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

As he should, he's only 20.

OJ's only 19.

The impatience on this board is ridiculous. 

We want McDavid!!!! ok maybe not this years McDavid so far but we want.... something!!!!! and faster!!!! 

• Upvote 1

Alright....Edler has been our defacto #1 D for quite awhile now...Oli will be a very similar D. but without the massive amount of blue line giveaways that Eddie seems plagued with and with more of an offensive upside.

The calm and calculated manner in which he learns his position will enable him to keep his trajectory on the up and up for years to come....he will be better than Edler within 3-4 years maximum....

How can we complain about that...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Alright....Edler has been our defacto #1 D for quite awhile now...Oli will be a very similar D. but without the massive amount of blue line giveaways that Eddie seems plagued with and with more of an offensive upside.

The calm and calculated manner in which he learns his position will enable him to keep his trajectory on the up and up for years to come....he will be better than Edler within 3-4 years maximum....

How can we complain about that...

Tkachuk

Sergachev

McAvoy

DEBRINCAT!!!!

Trust CDC to find a way ;)

Olli plays this year in Finland.  He will improve more this year playing in a pro league in Finland than he did last year in junior. 

Next year he will go to Utica and take a big step in his development. Two years from now he will crack the canucks out of training camp. I expect we'll have a great young D prospect at that point. 

• Upvote 1

I see a bit of Alex Edler in Olli Juolevi. With Edler, when he's on his game, in the defensive zone he'll make these short subtle passes to open teammates to avoid the forecheck and then jump into the play hoping to create an odd-man rush opportunity. I've seen Juolevi start the breakout like that and I believe that will be a key factor to his game. 

Juolevi also has the ability to carry the puck up ice and make quick decisions to move the puck effectively to the open man. In today's NHL that ability isn't just an asset that teams would like to have on their blueline, it's required to be successful. 

I know Juolevi isn't racking up the points or playing top-pairing minutes in Finland at the moment, but IMO he'll need to work on those two skills (defensive zone breakout + carrying the puck up ice) as well as his rhythm and pacing (he looked bored in the OHL last season, and in training camp and preseason the speed of the NHL game looked too fast for him) to be an effective puck moving defenseman. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

I see a bit of Alex Edler in Olli Juolevi. With Edler, when he's on his game, in the defensive zone he'll make these short subtle passes to open teammates to avoid the forecheck and then jump into the play hoping to create an odd-man rush opportunity. I've seen Juolevi start the breakout like that and I believe that will be a key factor to his game. 

Juolevi also has the ability to carry the puck up ice and make quick decisions to move the puck effectively to the open man. In today's NHL that ability isn't just an asset that teams would like to have on their blueline, it's required to be successful. 

I know Juolevi isn't racking up the points or playing top-pairing minutes in Finland at the moment, but IMO he'll need to work on those two skills (defensive zone breakout + carrying the puck up ice) as well as his rhythm and pacing (he looked bored in the OHL last season, and in training camp and preseason the speed of the NHL game looked too fast for him) to be an effective puck moving defenseman. 

To add to this, I think Salo said something like, 'defensemen have to find the open forward and not just pass it back to, or across to, their defense partner', in that clip where he was with the Canucks at camp and talking generally but also specifically about Olli.  Since then I have noticed which D move the puck up to an open forward and which are merely bailing to their partner.

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Add Keller (no.7) and even Chychrun...and you have to start admitting OJ looks like a miss.    

He doesn't look like a miss at all. Defensemen usually take longer to develop and the 2 D on that list were more physicAlly mature then OJ at the draft. I would agree I would of liked to see him progress more last year in junior but believe playing the pro game in Finland this year will really help ramp up his development. 

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

He doesn't look like a miss at all. Defensemen usually take longer to develop and the 2 D on that list were more physicAlly mature then OJ at the draft. I would agree I would of liked to see him progress more last year in junior but believe playing the pro game in Finland this year will really help ramp up his development. 

People hate on the JV18 pick as well, welcome to Canuckistan....:huh:

8 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

....you just proved Warhippy's point.....it's CDC that has the problem....

On one hand

2015:  We need to rebuild, we have to rebuild we know it will take 3-5 years minimum to stockpile and develop the right amount of depth

On the other hand

2017:  If we would have drafted prospect X, Y and Z they'd be in the NHL draft +1 and contributing and we coulda had [insert prospect here] 

juolevi doesn't have a spot here yet.  Isn't ready yet and we're in literally NO rush to bring him in at this point.  We have a glut of guys on contracts we need to move out first and knowing Peterson is at least 2 years away (the very least) from entering the AHL and that OJ is 2 years as well.  Why rush it.  Those worried prospects are looking like "a miss" at this early stage need to simply be patient.  Within 2 seasons we'll have more prospects in the system worth ooohing and aaahing over than we've ever had before and more in the wings still.

Taking a 3-4 year development curve for most of our prospects only sucks now.  It sure won't suck when we have a team full of young gamers with even more in the CHL/Europe and AHL waiting to make the big show.

No need to rush

• Upvote 2

Not every gm has the same idea for development either. What Boston and Arizonas gm would do with Juolevi at this stage is completely different than what Benning is doing. Some gm's like to throw their prospects into the fire and see what happens. Sometimes it turns and sometimes it doesn't. Benning is handling his prospects the way he knows how to. The way he's had success in the past. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

On one hand

2015:  We need to rebuild, we have to rebuild we know it will take 3-5 years minimum to stockpile and develop the right amount of depth

On the other hand

2017:  If we would have drafted prospect X, Y and Z they'd be in the NHL draft +1 and contributing and we coulda had [insert prospect here] 

juolevi doesn't have a spot here yet.  Isn't ready yet and we're in literally NO rush to bring him in at this point.  We have a glut of guys on contracts we need to move out first and knowing Peterson is at least 2 years away (the very least) from entering the AHL and that OJ is 2 years as well.  Why rush it.  Those worried prospects are looking like "a miss" at this early stage need to simply be patient.  Within 2 seasons we'll have more prospects in the system worth ooohing and aaahing over than we've ever had before and more in the wings still.

Taking a 3-4 year development curve for most of our prospects only sucks now.  It sure won't suck when we have a team full of young gamers with even more in the CHL/Europe and AHL waiting to make the big show.

No need to rush

I agree on all that except I think Pettersson is probably just one year away if he can gain 10 lbs in that year....so much talent there....

The thing is all those teams like Edmonton and Toronto are not going to be able to afford to keep what they have (under the salary cap) within 2-3 years and that is when we will be overflowing with still cheap talent and Demko pushing for top spot in goal.

• Upvote 1