The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

His game has always been more well rounded then offensive prowess. When people think number one dman they see flashy offensive point getter so right away they make these early projections. I think one thing everybody can agree on is he’s gonna be a workhorse and number 1 or not probably lead our defence in minutes on most nights.

Edler like. With more polish.

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

What do those three guys developing/maturing faster than Olli have to do with Olli’s development path?  

Some people are just premature about things.   Eventually, that isn't satisfying for anyone.   Those with a more mature and patient approach can also become more satisfied with the final outcome.

Oh, and that was related to hockey.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, rekker said:

Edler like. With more polish.

He appears already to be more positionally sound at 19 than Edler has been at any point in his career.   I watched every minute of him in WJC and tried to compare him to Dahlin (who everyone thinks, and I agree, will be the next big thing as a Dman) and he was equal if not better in positional play and in limiting shot attempts etc.   He also blew away Hesky in terms of almost every category one would wish to use as a compare.    

Bottom line, no one knows for sure but if you were not either a Canuck fan or someone trying to annoy a Canuck fan and were simply evaluating the potential of someone like OJ based upon this season in Finland to date and the WJC, you would most certainly see him as a potential top pairing Dman for a very long time in the NHL with the potential to be in the upper echelon of his peers.    

No offense to Edler (who seems to be such a polarizing guy), but comparing OJ to Edler is really not very fair to OJ given the evidence.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

He appears already to be more positionally sound at 19 than Edler has been at any point in his career.   I watched every minute of him in WJC and tried to compare him to Dahlin (who everyone thinks, and I agree, will be the next big thing as a Dman) and he was equal if not better in positional play and in limiting shot attempts etc.   He also blew away Hesky in terms of almost every category one would wish to use as a compare.    

Bottom line, no one knows for sure but if you were not either a Canuck fan or someone trying to annoy a Canuck fan and were simply evaluating the potential of someone like OJ based upon this season in Finland to date and the WJC, you would most certainly see him as a potential top pairing Dman for a very long time in the NHL with the potential to be in the upper echelon of his peers.    

No offense to Edler (who seems to be such a polarizing guy), but comparing OJ to Edler is really not very fair to OJ given the evidence.

I watched every minute of OJ as well. I very much liked what I saw. He really got better as the tournament went on and the coaches leaned on him more and more. He was spectacular his last game. Possibly the best player on the ice. I have high hopes for him. He will need to adjust to the intensity of the NHL but he is really smart and I'm sure he will. The comparison to Edler was more with how her carries himself in a quiet manner . Honestly, I'm tired of defending this pick and the comparisons to MT or other D in the draft. OJ is ours and we as fans should be excited to have him in the prospect pool. Very excited. Patience people. Patience.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I have to add that I grin every time I read a Salo quote. I'm so happy that he is coaching OJ. Salo was the master of using body position, going into checks at the right angles, and using his leverage to rub out opponents. Exactly the way kids are coached nowadays. JB and Trevor new exactly what they were doing sending OJ to Finland this year.

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

What do those three guys developing/maturing faster than Olli have to do with Olli’s development path?  

This one hundred percent. Who gives a crap what those guys are doing. Been coaching kids for seven years. They all have a different development curves. We got a great prospect here. Enjoy. Imagine our D prospect pool without OJ!

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I have to add that I grin every time I read a Salo quote. I'm so happy that he is coaching OJ. Salo was the master of using body position, going into checks at the right angles, and using his leverage to rub out opponents. Exactly the way kids are coached nowadays. JB and Trevor new exactly what they were doing sending OJ to Finland this year.

Yeah, no kidding. If OJ can develop into another Salo, who was excellent both offensively and defensively, it will be difficult for even the most dedicated of the trolls to find pretexts to hate on him.

• Cheers 1

Finland has announced team for Olympics. Juolevi is not going, however Heiskanen is. Maybe two U20 D's would be too much? We could all see, that in short tournament Juolevi was the better of the two. Well, overall no love from National teams for Nucks prospects...

image.png.bbee10dd5fd015839a4d8e1da24bd1b8.png

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Jasin23 said:

Finland has announced team for Olympics. Juolevi is not going, however Heiskanen is. Maybe two U20 D's would be too much? We could all see, that in short tournament Juolevi was the better of the two. Well, overall no love from National teams for Nucks prospects...

image.png.bbee10dd5fd015839a4d8e1da24bd1b8.png

Little surprised at that. I didn' think Heiskanan was that prominent at the juniors. I figured either him or OJ. Maybe he has had a little better year back home on the big ice. 

Likely has something to do with how outspoken and critical of the higher ups Olli was last year at the WJC.

This is some politics from Hockey Can...Finland.

Oh well, let him continue to develop. Makes one wonder if he will snub team Finland when hes inevitably called upon for future world championship teams.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Whorvat said:

Likely has something to do with how outspoken and critical of the higher ups Olli was last year at the WJC.

Oh well, let him continue to develop. Makes one wonder if he will snub team Finland when hes inevitably called upon for future world championship teams.

This 

4 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

OJ’s development is so critical to the clubs future. We lack any defensive prospect near his caliber. It is between him and EP as the teams most important 

players not in the NHL. 

I’d say demko would be the most important. A franchise goalie can single handedly change a season. 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

staying back in Finland might be better for his development as a whole.  its not like the olympics are going to be that big of a step up from his finish league anyways.  Yeah guys from the khl and sel are a tad better but if anything this might give him more opportunity on tps.  

do we know if any of his teammates from tps are going?  

2 hours ago, Whorvat said:

he won't have the chance with the canucks playing well into may every year. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Maybe he just isn't good enough to make the team?  

How come every time someone doesn't make a team it's politics?  Is the whole planet against the Vancouver Canucks?

Based on their play at the WJC, OJ seemed to fair better and both are very competitive in the league play.  

So this leads to speculation as to the reason as it doesn’t appear to be based on the ability of either player. 

You have a point.  I just don’t see either as all that better than the other at this point. 

No biggie as far as OJ is concerned. It would also stand to reason that last year’s WJC drama could have some long term repercussions for OJ and the finish national team. 

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Maybe he just isn't good enough to make the team?  

How come every time someone doesn't make a team it's politics?  Is the whole planet against the Vancouver Canucks?

Politics because OJ was the captain of team Finland's World Junior in 2016 when he host a player only meeting, boycotting the coaching staffs after 3 straight losses, which resulted in the firing of Team Finland's head coach. He was the captain and was seen as a rebel and the Finnish hockey associates might dislike him because of it. It is more of politics against OJ rather than politics against the Canucks. Regardless of which NHL team OJ was drafted by, he would probably miss the Olympics because of his actions in the 2016 World Juniors. It was also the reason why as last year's captain, OJ wasn't even given a letter in this year's World Juniors.

Edited by ruilin96
  • Upvote 1