The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

20 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I would be very much surprised if most of his weight increase was not muscle. But bulking up with muscle does not automatically improve cardio conditioning, and can very easily degrade speed and agility, which is what seems to have happened here.

You could see the difference in his face last year. He chubbed up. You could see it with Virtanen the year before.

3 minutes ago, Baggins said:

You could see the difference in his face last year. He chubbed up. You could see it with Virtanen the year before.

Yeah, adding 20 or 30 pounds will do that, even if it is mostly muscle. But if he had put on even 50% fat and 50% muscle, he would have received the Tram treatment and not dressed/played for the first few weeks as he worked himself into shape.

On 2018-06-29 at 9:46 PM, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I am fine with either option. Hughes can sign if he chooses and work his way up from

the AHL. I would be surprised if he stayed down long. 

If the college route is picked, he will sign ala Macavoy and come in at the end of the year. 

Both options are positive. He can avoid the CHL route.  The NCAA and AHL are both excellent ways to develop young guys. 

Quinns team came in third in the frozen four and now they add his brother so I'm thinking another deep drive in the playoffs and FF champions so getting him here at the end of the year won't happen.

19 hours ago, Old school nuck said:

Quinns team came in third in the frozen four and now they add his brother so I'm thinking another deep drive in the playoffs and FF champions so getting him here at the end of the year won't happen.

Although, sounds like he is more interested in going pro than playing with his brother.  Besides, they're only a year away from that anyway ^_^

On 2018-07-02 at 4:50 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Although, sounds like he is more interested in going pro than playing with his brother.  Besides, they're only a year away from that anyway ^_^

Yes either way would be good , if he's ready then I guess he's ready but his play at development camp should give a good indication of where he's at.

• Upvote 1

Maybe I’m being naive, but are players really being allowed to bulk-up/improve their conditioning unsupervised?

I would have thought that if they’re increasing their weight they’ll at least be getting advice from the team’s medical and fitness team, and ideally it will planned by them.

But perhaps that’s just wishful thinking!

9 minutes ago, Andy G said:

Maybe I’m being naive, but are players really being allowed to bulk-up/improve their conditioning unsupervised?

I would have thought that if they’re increasing their weight they’ll at least be getting advice from the team’s medical and fitness team, and ideally it will planned by them.

2 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

I think there are some rules about team staff being "hands off" with the players during the off-season. It's in the CBA somewhere.

Yes, the NHLPA and NHL have a agreement in place for no contact in the off season. The team will give the player all sorts of to-do lists ( diet, sobriety, training off ice/ on ice ), but cannot get involved.

• Upvote 1

He is probably our most interesting prospect going into camp. One should expect him to make the team considering where he was picked and his career path so far has been good. But the team is loaded with defensemen and I doubt we see any trades before camp.

Really pulling for him to push his way onto the team next year even if its not at training camp. Trade Del Zotto and let him play.

• Upvote 3

On 2018-07-09 at 2:45 PM, Andy G said:

That's what I always assumed too. If I was a pro hockey player I would assume the team would provide a chef, personal trainer, and a nutritionist to me wheneverI desire. 

So if these guys are truly dedicated they should get ripped in 3/4 months. 

24 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

He is probably our most interesting prospect going into camp. One should expect him to make the team considering where he was picked and his career path so far has been good. But the team is loaded with defensemen and I doubt we see any trades before camp.

Really pulling for him to push his way onto the team next year even if its not at training camp. Trade Del Zotto and let him play.

I love that idea. Honestly for how highly Oli was drafted and how much skill and brains he has, I would expect him to come to this training camp and fight to take his NHL spot away from everyone else competing against him. 

• Like 2

On 2018-06-29 at 7:16 PM, messier's_elbow said:

Hughes is going to be OJs best friend lol

Hughes loves the heat,  and Juolevi can just play his game.

Dude i can legitimately see those 2 playing 3rd pairing and on PP1 this coming season! 30 points each is not unrealistic 

Just now, Bovechkin said:

Dude i can legitimately see those 2 playing 3rd pairing and on PP1 this coming season! 30 points each is not unrealistic 

Their styles are actually quite complementary.   I do get a kick about how many seem to have forgotten how good Juolevi is.   I am looking forward to him showing what he showed last year during his first taste of pro hockey.   He certainly looked NHL ready during the playoff run and was a dominant player on some nights and rose to the occasion of top pairing minutes, PK and and PP time.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Bovechkin said:

I love that idea. Honestly for how highly Oli was drafted and how much skill and brains he has, I would expect him to come to this training camp and fight to take his NHL spot away from everyone else competing against him. 

I really believe Juolevi will come to camp and surprise some people..We must remember this minor injury has stopped some of his core training? with this in mind he might have to start season in Utica and after 20 games he will be ready to come play in Vancouver...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Their styles are actually quite complementary.   I do get a kick about how many seem to have forgotten how good Juolevi is.   I am looking forward to him showing what he showed last year during his first taste of pro hockey.   He certainly looked NHL ready during the playoff run and was a dominant player on some nights and rose to the occasion of top pairing minutes, PK and and PP time.

Absolutely! I think players who dominate cerebrally and are good skaters have the highest chance of breaking into the NHL! 

Oli and Hughes are just that 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I really believe Juolevi will come to camp and surprise some people..We must remember this minor injury has stopped some of his core training? with this in mind he might have to start season in Utica and after 20 games he will be ready to come play in Vancouver...

I think that won't be a huge impact at the end of the day.

And he has too much skill not to outplay the likes of Biega, Hutton (might surprise), MDZ, etc