The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

All he said was $&!#, which is not a big deal haha. You can tell he was frustrated but I don’t think it was excessive.

It’s also a cultural thing. I find many Europeans think nothing of sprinkling swear words into their English speech. Including those who’d never drop an expletive in their native language. Even in professional settings, they’re all proper when speaking their own language and then will suddenly go “trucker mouth” when they switch into English. It’s pretty funny.

Also, the excrement and sexual swear words aren’t as offensive to many Europeans. It’s often the religious curses that are really frowned upon, whereas it’s pretty much the opposite in NA (unless you happen to be really churchy). But for many European cultures, their version of “goddamnit” or various phrases about “the devil” are super offensive, and their versions of our “four letter words” aren’t really a big deal.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s also a cultural thing. I find many Europeans think nothing of sprinkling swear words into their English speech. Including those who’d never drop an expletive in their native language. Even in professional settings, they’re all proper when speaking their own language and then will suddenly go “trucker mouth” when they switch into English. It’s pretty funny.

Also, the excrement and sexual swear words aren’t as offensive to many Europeans. It’s often the religious curses that are really frowned upon, whereas it’s pretty much the opposite in NA (unless you happen to be really churchy). But for many European cultures, their version of “goddamnit” or various phrases about “the devil” are super offensive, and their versions of our “four letter words” aren’t really a big deal.

Exactly Sid....and even moreso in terms of groups that denigrate groups of people.   In Germany, equivalent "four letter words" are super common in everyday and business life.   However, while like English and other languages, Germans have many derogatory and insulting terms for groups of people most of which should be avoided at all times and are consider super offensive and in a league far beyond any swear words. The derogatory German slang terms for some groups of people are considered the lowest of the low and even the mild terms we see in the press (eg CNN) used by some of today's apparently acceptable version of what a politician is would be grounds for dismissal etc. in Germany. 

40 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That's Markus.   He is actually a pretty cool guy but very passionate (I love how he claims Canadian's are passionate as his reason for the fabricated drama).   I think he is very professional in terms of being a very strong advocate for his clients and he supports them 100% and you can see him in the rink more than most.   Potty mouth on twitter may be an issue for some but to me, the guy is simply being who he is and that is a pretty candid guy.   I think Canuck fans would be happy to have more of their players having a guy like Markus representing their players as he gets development, he gets big picture (e.g. long-term) and he gets loyalty.   

Give him a chance 73, I think he will be a good influence on OJ in his transformation to the show.

:P If we had to do away with 'fabrication' it would be the end of CDC!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Which is why EP was getting called the devil's pu$$y during the SHL playoffs.  They must've really wanted him off his game.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Which is why EP was getting called the devil's pu$$y during the SHL playoffs.  They must've really wanted him off his game.

Don't the guys over there kiss each other on the mouth in celebration too?  (not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.)  :ph34r:

Edited by Alflives

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That's here in non-English North America too, Tabarnaque is a serious insult/curse in Quebecois French. It means a booth where the especially devoted sit inside a Catholic Church, or something to that affect.

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Have anyone ever been to Ireland, ‘Jesus Murphy, fer ficks sake yeah bleeding idjits’ was how they welcomed us at customs.. 

Don’t even start on the Scots. 

18 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Have anyone ever been to Ireland, ‘Jesus Murphy, fer ficks sake yeah bleeding idjits’ was how they welcomed us at customs.. 

What did you do to warrant that greeting?

Edited by wexcar

On 2018-06-19 at 9:19 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think it’s watching too many North American movies.

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

Now that the Canucks have a true, blue chip potential #1 D in Hughes the expectations of Juolevi of being the savoir on the back end can be lifted and he can focus on something else the Canucks need back there, a smart, saavy, level headed D with a good instincts and hockey IQ (yes Tanev but his days have to be numbered). Think Nik Hjalmersson in Chicago. Not what we expect of a 5 overall pick but pretty crucial to a defensive core and under appreciated. 

Hopefully Hughes and Juolevi can make a dominant 1st pairing.  Both guy excel at retrieving the puck and getting it out of the zone quickly, Juolevi is really good at drawing in forwards and deferring the puck to his D partner so I could see him working really well with an elite skater and puck mover like Hughes.  Hughes also said he can play both sides so even though they are both lefties they could be a pairing

5 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Love that we got Hughes to take the pressure off of Juolevi, we got our offensive stud in Hughes and our 2-way stud in Juolevi!

I was thinking the exact same thing earlier when we made the pick. Hughes takes the pressure off of Juolevi, and Juolevi takes the pressure off of Hughes. Juolevi no longer has the pressure to be the top PP QB and put up 40+ points per season, and similarly, Hughes doesn't have the pressure to be the guy who goes up against the toughest competition. Hughes and Juolevi would likely be put into positions where they can succeed and play to their strengths -- Hughes with more offensive situations and Juolevi with more defensive situations. I have no doubt that both of them could handle top-pairing minutes quite easily and would be our 1-2 punch on the backend.

• Upvote 3

On 2018-06-19 at 3:01 PM, MattJVD said:

That's here in non-English North America too, Tabarnaque is a serious insult/curse in Quebecois French. It means a booth where the especially devoted sit inside a Catholic Church, or something to that affect.

There is no English curse that comes close to that. I remember asking my grandma about it when I was younger I think it’s something to do with cursing Christ himself while on the cross is along the lines of what she said. Which is awful to French people because of how catholic they are. But that was probably 25 years ago and my memory may be clouded lol.

11 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

There is no English curse that comes close to that. I remember asking my grandma about it when I was younger I think it’s something to do with cursing Christ himself while on the cross is along the lines of what she said. Which is awful to French people because of how catholic they are. But that was probably 25 years ago and my memory may be clouded lol.

No doubt it is a serious curse in French. But the origin of the word is from "tabarnacle" which (I was a little off in my first description) means the vessel in which the blessed sacrament is held. ie the wine and bread that literally represents the blood and flesh of Jesus Christ.

In the old Hewbrew, tabarnacle was the Earthly residence of god. Which is loosely what it still means, as it houses the flesh of Christ. 

My introduction to it was working with French-Canadian soldiers, who use it as an interjection in the same manner their anglo counterparts would say f**k

Edited by MattJVD

I think the Hughes pick will work out great for OJ. A lot of pressure for him to come in and dominate will be taken off his back and put onto Hughes who has the confidence to take it. Not that OJ couldn't  handle it. But what I'm say is when you are the only high end defensive prospect in the system a lot of eyes are looking at you. It can now be spread out a little. He went have to come into the league thinking he has to be a difference  maker right away he can just work on his game.

I think these two can one day make an amazing top pairing. Or an amazing one two punch of you want to spread the talent out.

• Upvote 2