The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 6/24/2018 at 12:12 AM, thrago said:

I think the Hughes pick will work out great for OJ. A lot of pressure for him to come in and dominate will be taken off his back and put onto Hughes who has the confidence to take it. Not that OJ couldn't  handle it. But what I'm say is when you are the only high end defensive prospect in the system a lot of eyes are looking at you. It can now be spread out a little. He went have to come into the league thinking he has to be a difference  maker right away he can just work on his game.

I think these two can one day make an amazing top pairing. Or an amazing one two punch of you want to spread the talent out.

Maybe one day...

Hughes - Tanev/Woo - depending Tanev's durability

Juolevi-Gudranson

Tryamkin-Woo/Tanev

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rough Neck said:

Maybe one day...

Hughes - Tanev/Woo - depending Tanev's durability

Juolevi-Gudranson

Tryamkin-Woo/Tanev

Interesting.  There's a lot of nice looking possible future pairings now but I personally really like the idea of a Juolevi - Woo shut down pair.  I think OJs simple calm style of play allows Woo to be more agressive and physical.

They would also eat up a lot of d-zone face offs so that Hughes doesn't have to.  That's my own personal vision of the future anyway.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Interesting.  There's a lot of nice looking possible future pairings now but I personally really like the idea of a Juolevi - Woo shut down pair.  I think OJs simple calm style of play allows Woo to be more agressive and physical.

They would also eat up a lot of d-zone face offs so that Hughes doesn't have to.  That's my own personal vision of the future anyway.

Could certainly work well!

Although I wouldn't be opposed to something like:

Juolevi, Hughes

Tryamkin, Woo 

Brisebois, Stecher

...either. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Juolevi, Hughes

Tryamkin, Woo 

Brisebois, Stecher

...either. 

I think tryamkin woo would be somewhat redundant and Brisebois' calm play would free up a Woo's aggressive style the same way as Juolevi could.  That Brisbois is older and makes the NHL probably before Woo might make him likely Woo's first partner.  

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Baratheon said:

Yeah for sure, especially because both can also play a shutdown role and appropriately jump into the offensive zone. Plus it never hurts to have one lefty and one righty as a pair :P 

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Juolevi, Hughes

Tryamkin, Woo 

Brisebois, Stecher

...either. 

Totally forgot about Stecher, can see him fitting in there too. I'd most likely with the lineup I chose have Brisebois as the 7th guy. I think he will end up being solid for us as either a fill-in or bottom pair. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

Juolevi, Hughes

Tryamkin, Woo 

Brisebois, Stecher

...either. 

Love the idea of a Juolevi - Hughes pairing, impossible to set up a forecheck on.  I think Rathbone is going to be our next 5th round steal and in 3 years will be in the top 4

Juolevi - Hughes

Rathbone - Woo

Tryamkin - Stecher

Breisbois

• Cheers 1

I think we need Tryamkin to come back. He was a KHL all-star and considering where he was at his first year here (fringe bottom pair NHL guy) to where he is at now (clearly great KHL Dman + KHL All-star) his return should be like adding a legit top 4 D to our group. Never mind one that is 6'7 and skates very well. He will be a great compliment to Hughes. 

I absolutely still believe in Olli Juolevi. Hughes, Juolevi and Tryamkin are 3/4 of a good top 4. Juolevi's strength is moving the puck up ice and I think he will work well as a complimentary piece to Hughes on our top PP. He's a guy that will be great at transitioning the puck up ice to Horvat/Boeser/Pettersson at 5 on 5. Juolevi is a great passer and he has a sneaky good wrister from the line, he doesn't need to handle the puck long to be effective. Hughes can do that and Juolevi will be a good secondary type option on the PP. I think he needs to mature more from what has been reported as far as commitment, but he's still very young. Not all guys come at the same pace. Juo has all the tools of a good top 3 D man. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think we need Tryamkin to come back. He was a KHL all-star and considering where he was at his first year here (fringe bottom pair NHL guy) to where he is at now (clearly great KHL Dman + KHL All-star) his return should be like adding a legit top 4 D to our group. Never mind one that is 6'7 and skates very well. He will be a great compliment to Hughes. 

I absolutely still believe in Olli Juolevi. Hughes, Juolevi and Tryamkin are 3/4 of a good top 4. Juolevi's strength is moving the puck up ice and I think he will work well as a complimentary piece to Hughes on our top PP. He's a guy that will be great at transitioning the puck up ice to Horvat/Boeser/Pettersson at 5 on 5. Juolevi is a great passer and he has a sneaky good wrister from the line, he doesn't need to handle the puck long to be effective. Hughes can do that and Juolevi will be a good secondary type option on the PP. I think he needs to mature more from what has been reported as far as commitment, but he's still very young. Not all guys come at the same pace. Juo has all the tools of a good top 3 D man. 

I think we all want him back here but it’s not within our control. He called Vancouver a druggie city and his wife was homesick. We can’t plan on his return or “pencil him into the lineup”. I agree our top 4 would finally look good with him, Juolevi and Hughes.

22 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

I think we all want him back here but it’s not within our control. He called Vancouver a druggie city and his wife was homesick. We can’t plan on his return or “pencil him into the lineup”. I agree our top 4 would finally look good with him, Juolevi and Hughes.

I'm not particularly concerned. You can probably add Woo to that future, penciled, top 4. Stecher has 2nd pair upside. A guy like Brisebois, Rathbone, Chatfield or Brassard etc might exceed current expectations and there's always UFA's and trades to fill in any blanks we can't via draft.

I mean if we were to sign a guy like Myers (or Doughty or Karlsson etc) next summer as UFA, is anybody going to complain about this as our future D core down the line:

Hughes, Myers

Juolevi, Woo

Brisebois, Stecher

Sautner, Chatfield

Tryamkin coming back would be great and would either allow us to move him or another guy for other pieces/futures. And the Canucks should be planning (prudently) as though he's not coming back. If he does, he's just another solid piece to utilize.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'm not particularly concerned. You can probably add Woo to that future, penciled, top 4. Stecher has 2nd pair upside. A guy like Brisebois, Rathbone, Chatfield or Brassard etc might exceed current expectations and there's always UFA's and trades to fill in any blanks we can't via draft.

I mean if we were to sign a guy like Myers (or Doughty or Karlsson etc) next summer as UFA, is anybody going to complain about this as our future D core down the line:

Hughes, Myers

Juolevi, Woo

Brisebois, Stecher

Sautner, Chatfield

Tryamkin coming back would be great and would either allow us to move him or another guy for other pieces/futures. And the Canucks should be planning (prudently) as though he's not coming back. If he does, he's just another solid piece to utilize.

I don’t disagree and I’m also happy with Woo; I also expect a free agent signing as well. Tryamkin does bring something to the D that we don’t have much of and I’d love to see (size, immovability, thunderous hits). I just see lists posted here expecting his return and we have to plan as if he’s not coming back but be thrilled if he does.

A future Left side on defence of Hughes, Juolevi and Tryamkin would be amazing! Add in a few righties like Woo, Chatfield and Stecher and we have a good young D core coming.

Hughes-Woo

Juolevi-Stecher

Tryamkin-Chatfield

Thats a good mix of size and skill and will be great for our future!

I really wonder how he will do this year. The injury is a setback as far as off-season training, but he should be back in time to compete for a spot.

I definitely think he will play games this year, I have a hard time imagining him not being better than Del Zotto. Its just will it be at the beginning or after some time in Utica? Its such a logjam as is, he would be our 8th NHL Dman. I think he will be in Utica to start the season even if he plays good enough out of camp (like Stecher). The logjam will force him down unless we can make a move before camp. 

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I really wonder how he will do this year. The injury is a setback as far as off-season training, but he should be back in time to compete for a spot.

I definitely think he will play games this year, I have a hard time imagining him not being better than Del Zotto. Its just will it be at the beginning or after some time in Utica? Its such a logjam as is, he would be our 8th NHL Dman. I think he will be in Utica to start the season even if he plays good enough out of camp (like Stecher). The logjam will force him down unless we can make a move before camp. 

Assuming he shows well at camp, I hope he is put into the 3rd pairing so Green can begin developing him himself. JB needs to get a pick or two from a couple of our other D if at all possible imo.

4 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Assuming he shows well at camp, I hope he is put into the 3rd pairing so Green can begin developing him himself. JB needs to get a pick or two from a couple of our other D if at all possible imo.

I agree I think they need to move a D. The problem is who. Definitely won't be: Gudbranson, Tanev, or Edler. I think MDZ will be moved (if a team even wants him) but not until the trade deadline. Pouliot I don't think they will move, he probably won't get anything. Stecher is highly unlikely, RH D and has more value to us. Hutton is the one guy that's a prime candidate but his value needs to be brought back up first.

I think Juolevi starts down in the A. Someone will get injured in the first week (or two) of the season, and he'll probably be the first call up. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I agree I think they need to move a D. The problem is who. Definitely won't be: Gudbranson, Tanev, or Edler. I think MDZ will be moved (if a team even wants him) but not until the trade deadline. Pouliot I don't think they will move, he probably won't get anything. Stecher is highly unlikely, RH D and has more value to us. Hutton is the one guy that's a prime candidate but his value needs to be brought back up first.

I think Juolevi starts down in the A. Someone will get injured in the first week (or two) of the season, and he'll probably be the first call up. 

I think this right. Obviously Edler tops the depth chart at LD. And MDZ is #2.

I thought Juolevi might make the #3 spot at LD but recent comments and recent events indicate that the Canucks want to give both Pouliot and Hutton a fresh look this year. Neither was good enough last year but they will get another shot.

That does not leave much room for Juolevi to start the season. I expect that he start in Utica and move up later.

And Hughes is a wild card. It is probably 50-50 that he goes back to Michigan. But he could sign and start with the Comets and end up being first in line for a call-up.

By this time in 2019 it would not surprise if the depth chart at LD is Edler, Hughes, and Juolevi  at 1,2, and 3.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I think this right. Obviously Edler tops the depth chart at LD. And MDZ is #2.

I thought Juolevi might make the #3 spot at LD but recent comments and recent events indicate that the Canucks want to give both Pouliot and Hutton a fresh look this year. Neither was good enough last year but they will get another shot.

That does not leave much room for Juolevi to start the season. I expect that he start in Utica and move up later.

And Hughes is a wild card. It is probably 50-50 that he goes back to Michigan. But he could sign and start with the Comets and end up being first in line for a call-up.

By this time in 2019 it would not surprise if the depth chart at LD is Edler, Hughes, and Juolevi  at 1,2, and 3.

I think Hughes goes back to Michigan & I think he should go back to Michigan. At first I was kinda split, and selfishly I want to see him play tommorrow. But its probably better for his development to go back and then sign once his season ends. I think next season should & will be his last at Michigan. The extra time in the weight room might be good for him.

MDZ should be #3. He's really not that good. I think the 3 younger LHD can be better than him. But he's a staple in the lineup, coach likes him and he's a leader.

I really wonder what they will do, they need to get Hutton in the lineup and Pouliot needs to play too if hes going to take the next step. Then you have Juolevi knocking on the door. I guess we will face injuries like every season and those guys will get there chances.

I think we agree on Juolevi, I would be absolutely shocked if he doesn't play this season. I just hope when he plays he is given a regular shift and plays consistently. Not in & out, he seems like the kind of guy who might need some time to get fully adjusted, but its not impossible that by the end of the season he could be a better option than those other 3 LHD. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think Hughes goes back to Michigan & I think he should go back to Michigan. At first I was kinda split, and selfishly I want to see him play tommorrow. But its probably better for his development to go back and then sign once his season ends. I think next season should & will be his last at Michigan. The extra time in the weight room might be good for him.

MDZ should be #3. He's really not that good. I think the 3 younger LHD can be better than him. But he's a staple in the lineup, coach likes him and he's a leader.

I really wonder what they will do, they need to get Hutton in the lineup and Pouliot needs to play too if hes going to take the next step. Then you have Juolevi knocking on the door. I guess we will face injuries like every season and those guys will get there chances.

I think we agree on Juolevi, I would be absolutely shocked if he doesn't play this season. I just hope when he plays he is given a regular shift and plays consistently. Not in & out, he seems like the kind of guy who might need some time to get fully adjusted, but its not impossible that by the end of the season he could be a better option than those other 3 LHD. 

I think the AHL is a better place to devlope, personally.  He won't get as much time to train as he would in the NCAA, but he'd be in the ballpark and he would get a lot more games in.

Tanev 

Edler

Gudbranson

Del Zotto

Stecher 

Pouliot

Hutton

Juolevi / Hughes

Biega

Juolevi and Hughes have really created a dog fight amongst those 3 middle players. I believe one of them with have to be dropped if either Juolevi or Hughes make the team out of camp. I'd be $&!#ting my pants if I was Hutton. Personally, I think he should be the one to go. Maybe he can turn it around next year but I don't see it happening, regardless of how hard he's been working out.

Personally I think Juolevi will and should start in the A but may end up playing half the season in Van.

• Upvote 2