The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Unfortunately, Olli's NHL chances have likely slipped away.  I expect that he will return to Finland to play hockey.  Year

after year of injuries and then recently showing up to pre-season out of shape was the final nail.  It takes an awful lot

of strength and determination to work though years of injuries, endless rehab and such tremendous disappointment for a young hockey player; especially one that was so highly touted.

I'm not sure that Juolevi has (or ever had) the kind of character that could keep him motivated and focussed enough

to recover from his unlucky track record.

Is it a bit ironic that GMJB proclaimed he was drafting for character, and his two high first round picks both lacked it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is it a bit ironic that GMJB proclaimed he was drafting for character, and his two high first round picks both lacked it?

Olli yes, but I'm more convinced that Jake was more of an Aqua pick.  You know...big, physical HOMETOWN boy that can

score would be a fan favourite and a huge win in A's bank account.

Either way, it sure sucks coming up empty on 5th and 6th overall picks.  Makes me want to weep.:sadno:

• Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Olli yes, but I'm more convinced that Jake was more of an Aqua pick.  You know...big, physical HOMETOWN boy that can

score would be a fan favourite and a huge win in A's bank account.

Either way, it sure sucks coming up empty on 5th and 6th overall picks.  Makes me want to weep.:sadno:

Certainly set the franchise back, it's not oftern ( I hope  ) that we will have such high end picks.

18 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Certainly set the franchise back, it's not oftern ( I hope  ) that we will have such high end picks.

Huge set back for sure.  I went through the Nucks draft picks in the past 30 yrs and it's tough going. 

In 30 years;  9 picks under 6th overall; 3 of them busts. 

Even worse, in the 52yr franchise history, the Canucks highest draft picks were 4 (2nd overall) + 4 (3rd overall) + 0 (1st)

The last 30 years the Canucks 3 (2nd overall Linden, Nedved, Daniel) + 1 (3rd overall Hank)

That surely is the definition of dismal.  Makes me proud of the 3 teams that actually went to the SC final game7.

On 2/27/2022 at 10:09 AM, higgyfan said:

Huge set back for sure.  I went through the Nucks draft picks in the past 30 yrs and it's tough going. 

In 30 years;  9 picks under 6th overall; 3 of them busts. 

Even worse, in the 52yr franchise history, the Canucks highest draft picks were 4 (2nd overall) + 4 (3rd overall) + 0 (1st)

The last 30 years the Canucks 3 (2nd overall Linden, Nedved, Daniel) + 1 (3rd overall Hank)

That surely is the definition of dismal.  Makes me proud of the 3 teams that actually went to the SC final game7.

One thing we should not forget  is all 1st round picks are not created equal. Having a 27-32 1st round pick is not the same as a  top  5 pick. Keep this in mind if there's any trades this TD. What we wasted of late were prime picks, gone flushed. These were prime picks and that's why the impact of the JV and OJ were badly felt by the club. Before any one starts pointing to BB, it was a freak just like having a 4th round pick become a full time NHL player. Teams make hay with top 10 picks

• Vintage 1

Just now, Fred65 said:

Panthers place defenceman Olli Juolevi on waivers (sportsnet.ca)

When I thinkof all the support this plyers got from "knowlegable fans on this board, time to stand up an be counted" that and all the abuse I received  when I suggested this kid was never going to be a NHL player. Well sadly it all came to fruition today. I confess I am smiling :)

The thing is true Canuck fans cheer for and hope for their players to be the best.  It's other teams' fans who want our players (especially our prospects and young guys) to bust or be craperolla.  Which are you?

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

The thing is true Canuck fans cheer for and hope for their players to be the best.  It's other teams' fans who want our players (especially our prospects and young guys) to bust or be craperolla.  Which are you?

A long time REALISTIC fan. Any one with a pair off eyes and  a glimmer of hockey sense could see this was a terrible selecto by JB

Anyone the Canucks draft or hire I will be supportive of to a point. 
OJ had decent tools, JB made the mistake of overvaluing him being great in one tournament. At the time there were players I would have preferred but drafting and development are very inexact sciences. 
Not sure the biggest problem was at the draft table though.  Missing major time and completely trashing a knee in a player that was not primarily known for mobility. That combined how much faster the NHL keeps getting.

who knows, maybe the rest of the season in a low pressure, out of playoff situation will get him some time to turn his game around, I doubt it though. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Right!! 

The final chapter ends on the waiver wire lol

This (meaning the post this quote replied to) aged well 

Unlike my reaction when Pettersson was chosen ... Please for the love of god I hope no one finds that here :frantic:

Edited by iinatcc
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

And now the final word is how horrible this pick was. We had the safe and everyone thought we would pick Tkachuk, but Benning pulls the rabbit out of the hat and tried the genius move of going for Juolevi. Every year, someone was there to defend this pick saying Juolevi will develop and get there. Tkachuk is now top 10 in NHL points. For all the praise of Benning's drafting, this pick alone cancels out a lot of good because how obvious and expected it was to draft Tkachuk. 

1 hour ago, Drakrami said:

And now the final word is how horrible this pick was. We had the safe and everyone thought we would pick Tkachuk, but Benning pulls the rabbit out of the hat and tried the genius move of going for Juolevi. Every year, someone was there to defend this pick saying Juolevi will develop and get there. Tkachuk is now top 10 in NHL points. For all the praise of Benning's drafting, this pick alone cancels out a lot of good because how obvious and expected it was to draft Tkachuk. 

When you look at how Tkachuk's contract was structured you can bet he will be asking for the moon this off season. His QO will have to be 9 mil or more unless the club takes him to arbitration. I am expecting him to sign somewhere North of 10 mil on a long contract.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

When you look at how Tkachuk's contract was structured you can bet he will be asking for the moon this off season. His QO will have to be 9 mil or more unless the club takes him to arbitration. I am expecting him to sign somewhere North of 10 mil on a long contract.

The Flames are 'all in' this year, so have left themselves open for some serious problems next season.

Being an UFA, Gaudrea will likely walk, unless management overpays for his services (which would

be a horrific hit on their salary cap).  Looks like no return on Gaudreau, which is really bad for the

team.  Tketchup is a RFA, so at least he's protected, sort of.  Like you have pointed out, he'll want

a huge contract, maybe even big enough for the Flames to decide to trade him.

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The Flames are 'all in' this year, so have left themselves open for some serious problems next season.

Being an UFA, Gaudrea will likely walk, unless management overpays for his services (which would

be a horrific hit on their salary cap).  Looks like no return on Gaudreau, which is really bad for the

team.  Tketchup is a RFA, so at least he's protected, sort of.  Like you have pointed out, he'll want

a huge contract, maybe even big enough for the Flames to decide to trade him.

Gaudreau is not going to come cheap if they want to re-sign him. I am guessing they will try and do that but will need to move Monahan's contract if they can find a taker for him. Other player of note is Mangiapane who will also be looking for a big jump in his salary after a 30+ goal season. Canucks are not the only club that will have to juggle the roster in order to fit everyone in under the cap. Don't think Deadmonton is in much better shape either goaltending and D are still suspect.

6 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Gaudreau is not going to come cheap if they want to re-sign him. I am guessing they will try and do that but will need to move Monahan's contract if they can find a taker for him. Other player of note is Mangiapane who will also be looking for a big jump in his salary after a 30+ goal season. Canucks are not the only club that will have to juggle the roster in order to fit everyone in under the cap. Don't think Deadmonton is in much better shape either goaltending and D are still suspect.

Much like Panarin, Little Johnny is going to get a very big contract this July 1.  Flames will likey trade his rights so the new team he sign with can pay him over 8 years.  

5 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Yikes!  I forgot about Mangiapane.  They also have a couple of dmen needing contracts for next

season as well.  Whatever happened to Monahan?  He's looking like a cap dump these days.

They will certainly have to add a sweetener to trade him now.  At least he'll be a UFA after

next season, so whoever takes him get him to sign a low ball 'show me' contract.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

? Top 5 Right Wing in the league asking for 9-10mil, there's nothing wrong with that.  

Edited by Drakrami