The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 5/15/2018 at 8:37 AM, 10pavelbure96 said:

Evan Bouchard was interviewed yesterday morning on sn650 and had some high praise for OJ.  He said he's one of the best dmen he has ever played with. They played together in London for one year.  London also tends to spit out talent all the time, so if Bouchard is still available at that spot id be happy if we took him.

Plus we need a big French name on the blue line, haven't had one since Bourdon, RIP.

Yann Sauve hockey player photo

Yann Sauve

On 5/15/2018 at 12:57 PM, The 5th Line said:

it is unacceptable for a team that is in the situation that we are to only have 6 picks in a draft.  

Uh, six draft picks in six rounds is unacceptable?    OK, good thing you are not a Flames fan.    

I guess if it is "unacceptable" they might as well not go to the draft then?   Should they just forget the whole thing entirely as clearly, if it is not acceptable why bother?   Right?   

Edited by Rob_Zepp

Interesting to hear that Salo really liked him on the power play. I really like his wrist shot from the point as he can get it off quickly and with accuracy. That can help keep defenders honest when defending him, creating more space for either Pettersson or Boeser (which sounds pretty good to me ::D).

2 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Wow, still no mention of Juolevi being ill when he was scratched after the WJC. Almost like it wasn't the case.

Yup, no mention that he ate pancakes last Tuesday either or that he once had a dog named Lucky.   The lack of those things means they clearly are not possible.   

Learn some Finnish, use the internet and learn something.   The fixation with a few of you on this kid's health is very odd.   So what if he got sick, lots of the kids at WJC got sick.   So freakin' what?   He didn't use it as a crutch.   Clearly Salo didn't seem too worried about it.   Why are are a few of you fixated with it.   People get the flu - apparently nearly 1/4 of the kids at WJC got some form of it and some even reported it for those of you fixated with such (e.g. it was reported by Team Sweden and Team Canada for their players) but it is so common, why does this fascinate some of you so much?   Truly bizarre.

As someone above posted (if you are too lazy to learn Finnish), a bunch of Team Finland had it near end of the tourney.   He notes a radio or TV.   I read it in paper.  Either way, I thought nothing of it.   Kids get sick all the time in hockey.    Apparently that is unacceptable to a few of you.   

• Cheers 4

19 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

They need to acquire more picks, just like any other rebuilding team would do.  And by the way, it's 6 picks in 7 rounds 

Actually you said you heard it from your source... your source is a public news website?   God forbid anyone shares a link with the rest of the forum.. Pretty sure one of the rules of being hear is you have to provide proof if you make statements like that.  You're actually telling people to go learn Finnish instead of simply copying and pasting a link?  

I heard it from several people covering the WJC who said a lot of teams/players got ill including players from Team Canada, Sweden, Finland and a couple more.   A few names were mentioned including OJ.   Sports section in both Helsinki and Turku on-line papers noted it and, again, mentioned a few names including OJ.   Why would you want a link to a Finnish website.  I think it was BP79 that did that anyway or was the one who speaks Finnish too.    

Why on earth did you want proof anyway?  It was the flu - kids get sick.  Why can't this kid get sick?   Why is that another thing that you have to hold over this prospect.   Sorry these kids cannot be perfect for some of you.   They actually get sick, make mistakes and even don't become all-stars out of junior into the NHL.   

I just don't understand the bizarre fixation with this.   Is this another attempt to denigrate this poor kid - just because he got sick?

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

Really happy with Salo's comments.  Even if the guy ends up a solid 2nd pairing guy I'm happy enough with that.  Anything better is gravy and anything less is a disappointment imo.

solid 2nd pairing guy for 5th overall is meh... I was hoping he would be a top pairing guy. Like a solid #2D

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Yup, no mention that he ate pancakes last Tuesday either or that he once had a dog named Lucky.   The lack of those things means they clearly are not possible.   

Learn some Finnish, use the internet and learn something.   The fixation with a few of you on this kid's health is very odd.   So what if he got sick, lots of the kids at WJC got sick.   So freakin' what?   He didn't use it as a crutch.   Clearly Salo didn't seem too worried about it.   Why are are a few of you fixated with it.   People get the flu - apparently nearly 1/4 of the kids at WJC got some form of it and some even reported it for those of you fixated with such (e.g. it was reported by Team Sweden and Team Canada for their players) but it is so common, why does this fascinate some of you so much?   Truly bizarre.

As someone above posted (if you are too lazy to learn Finnish), a bunch of Team Finland had it near end of the tourney.   He notes a radio or TV.   I read it in paper.  Either way, I thought nothing of it.   Kids get sick all the time in hockey.    Apparently that is unacceptable to a few of you.   

I think it took less than 2 minutes for that reply :lol:

Not only that, I outlined what I liked in the post directly below that, but you can't defend Juolevi there so it doesn't matter. 

The only problem with everything that you said is that he wasn't sick. Tired, sure, but not sick.

1 hour ago, DontMessMe said:

solid 2nd pairing guy for 5th overall is meh... I was hoping he would be a top pairing guy. Like a solid #2D

I don't see why he can't be a Tanev with more offense. That would be pretty good. Tanev is a 2nd pairing guy on a championship caliber team.

4 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

Could be worse. When the pick was made the expectation was he was the closest to a sure thing. Solid top 4 that is steady in all areas of the game. Nothing flashy. That could be a top 2 guy. Hammer was a top 2 guy in his prime. Not saying they will be the same kind of player just that top 2 doesn't necessarily mean Karlsson or Doughty status.

On 5/18/2018 at 3:22 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Typical inferiority-complexed Canucks fans, always thinking the worst.  The report said a JUNIOR player.

It was Jeff Marek and he specifically said it was when he talked to a CHL GM a year ago. 

Marek also says the player was a 1st round draft pick; then further narrows it down to a high pick.

A player from a VERY prominent NHL team.

CHL player.

Juolevi played in the CHL a year ago.  Because it was a year ago it eliminates 2017 draft.  Initial players coming to mind were Alex Nylander but he's never played in the CHL or wasn't at that time.  Ho-Sang; however, I'm not sure the Islanders are a VERY prominent NHL team.

Add in a lot of odd comments from coaches - Salo saying his conditioning needs to be better if he's ever going to play in the NHL.  Very poor showing at development camp.  Evan Bouchard stating that Juolevi loves to play video games then back tracking a bit.

When you're up all night playing video games and only getting 2 hours of sleep it could explain a lot of what is going on with Juolevi.  There are small things like you're a LOT more likely to get sick/flu.  It could also explain why he was often used so little this year.

I know a lot of people are going to disagree but if you look at who it could be from the 2016 and 2015 draft you end up by process of elimination with only a couple guys.  Juolevi is one of them.  And remember these were comments from a year ago so we can't entirely use his improved play this year to disqualify him.

1 hour ago, dura_mater said:

It was Jeff Marek and he specifically said it was when he talked to a CHL GM a year ago. 

Marek also says the player was a 1st round draft pick; then further narrows it down to a high pick.

A player from a VERY prominent NHL team.

CHL player.

Juolevi played in the CHL a year ago.  Because it was a year ago it eliminates 2017 draft.  Initial players coming to mind were Alex Nylander but he's never played in the CHL or wasn't at that time.  Ho-Sang; however, I'm not sure the Islanders are a VERY prominent NHL team.

Add in a lot of odd comments from coaches - Salo saying his conditioning needs to be better if he's ever going to play in the NHL.  Very poor showing at development camp.  Evan Bouchard stating that Juolevi loves to play video games then back tracking a bit.

When you're up all night playing video games and only getting 2 hours of sleep it could explain a lot of what is going on with Juolevi.  There are small things like you're a LOT more likely to get sick/flu.  It could also explain why he was often used so little this year.

I know a lot of people are going to disagree but if you look at who it could be from the 2016 and 2015 draft you end up by process of elimination with only a couple guys.  Juolevi is one of them.  And remember these were comments from a year ago so we can't entirely use his improved play this year to disqualify him.

did marek specifically say that his conversation with this gm happened after the kid had been drafted? if not, it could certainly be someone from the 2017 draft.