The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 hours ago, dura_mater said:

Marek said it happened a year ago.  Meaning the 2017 draft hadn't occurred and that puts Juolevi on the knights.  So that leaves the 2015 or 2016 drafts.

No he didn't.  He said (and I quote) ' the information is at least six months old, maybe a year old.' 

2 hours ago, dura_mater said:

Maybe but how do old guys like Salo or Benning describe a problem (video game addiction) that they don't understand.  If you're showing up to practice/games on 2-4 hours sleep I think that shows as poor conditioning even if it's just being tired.

Pure speculation.  As the previous poster commented, it is not unusual for Jr players being in poor condition when they try out for the NHL team.  You know...young boys, baby fat, undeveloped physique.

1. I apologise if Evan Bouchard never said that.  I can't find the radio interview/source so take it with a grain of salt.  What I'm going off of is someone has posted a transcription of a radio interview with Bouchard where they claim he said

"I think he did uh, he did play video games, he'd go home a lot just to play video games so I don't know, he didn't go out too-too much but uh he was always at home playing games"

Again, more speculation.  Pretty hard to find a kid OJs age that isn't playing video games.  Nothing earth shattering here.

2.  No it wasn't referring to a player in the CHL THIS season.  Marek specifically says he was talking to a CHL GM a year ago and that the league had to get this player help that it got so bad.  Everything he says is in hindsight from a year ago.

Fake news.  At least 6, maybe a year ago doesn't  =  specifically a year ago.  He very well could be referring to a CHL player THIS season (which started about 9 months ago).

3. Great, maybe that explains why his game turned around.

Dale Hunter was very happy with OJ's game in his second season and Olli has continued to develop and excel in Europe.  Really don't see the comment about 'turning his game around.'

I have very little respect for this Marek character making this story public, all the while stating 'oh I won't say who he is' and then giving some more details and then 'I promised not to name him' adding some more details.  It's all about creating a big story.  Hurting young player's reputation doesn't matter.  Stay classy Marek!

8 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Timonen was a very underrated dman. He did it all. Mixed in a couple 50 point seasons in his career. If Juolevi logs 23+ hard minutes a night and puts up around 40 points in his prime that pick is a win. People need to calm down about the Sergachev is already in the NHL. The guy was a man when he was drafted. Serg was always NHL ready where Juolevi was a couple years away. It’s not a race.

That's where you are wrong. It is a race, and Juolevi is the turtle...he will win in the long run ::D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Bouchard never said that, the interview is available to listen to and that "someone" is a troll.....and apparently of the worst kind implicating a kid of something like that.

Yes, he was talking about a player in the CHL this year....yes, he said it was a year ago with GM but he also said kid was still in CHL.   I listened to what Marek said as well - if you did, listen again.    No, not everything is in hindsight.

Finally, he game has not "turned around" - no sure what that even means.    OJ's game has been nicely progressing since he was drafted.   In his final CHL year he had a much lesser supporting cast, a team that scored less and a team that relied upon him much more.   He played bigger minutes, put up same offensive numbers (on a less offensive team) and was their virtual leader in all aspects of the game.   He was praised by management (Hunter) for being such a strong leader and was London's nominee for hardest working player in the OHL.   

You repeating the crap without even remotely trying to sort out fact from fiction puts you in an interesting light.  What is your motivation for this?   Why are you implying this crap about Juolevi?        

My motivation is that I care about the young mans life and hope he gets the help he needs.  Video game addiction isn't something that is generally taken seriously and if any light being shone on it can help someone seek help than that is a positive.  I've seen what addiction can do first hand.  If this puts me in an "interesting light", and you assuming I'd have any other reason to take interest in it, puts you in a good light then so be it.

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm not slagging any kids, just calling out an imposter.  You're still in Europe eh?  Posting from midnight to 7 am everyday, right?  And still making time to go out and scout players.  Impressive 

You can't provide a simple link to your claim.  #fakenews

Yes to all of the above except the part about you not slagging kids.   You could check for a link or I could even dig one up but I like it better this way - pathetic little trolls should be anxious and whiny.   It fits the narrative better.   :)

Figured you were a Trump fan too.   It totally fits.

You also need a lesson in time zones - perhaps next day leave they give you.   

26 minutes ago, dura_mater said:

My motivation is that I care about the young mans life and hope he gets the help he needs.  Video game addiction isn't something that is generally taken seriously and if any light being shone on it can help someone seek help than that is a positive.  I've seen what addiction can do first hand.  If this puts me in an "interesting light", and you assuming I'd have any other reason to take interest in it, puts you in a good light then so be it.

Tying this to someone not remotely involved is a weasely thing to do.   /story.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm not slagging any kids, just calling out an imposter.  You're still in Europe eh?  Posting from midnight to 7 am everyday, right?  And still making time to go out and scout players.  Impressive 

I find both discussions (flu, addiction) awkward and redundant and hate to contribute to it, but only one thing regarding the flu: Do not underestimate the reserve of the Finns. Just because they do not talk about it, doesn't mean it's not there. Especially when talking about health issues.

I've been holding off on commenting on Joulevi until he's played a full season in the NHL, but I just wanted to say I think he's been unfairly scrutinized and criticized here lately. Some of us are disappointed that Dubois didn't fall to us as expected. Some of us are green with envy after seeing what McAvoy and Sergachev have done as rookies. Some of us believe that the team needs Tkachuk's combination of attitude and offence. Then there's the extra pressure of being the first defenseman this organization has taken in the first round since Bourdon and the first taken in his draft year. On top of being this organization's only defensive prospect that's pretty much a shoe in to make the NHL.

There's a substantial part of this team's future riding on Joulevi to be an impact player. Some of the pressure that's being put on him is justified but some of it is not. 

For what it's worth, I'm optimistic on Joulevi. Yes he struggled this season in Finland. But he had a pretty great playoffs. So he didn't make Finland's world championship team. The goal is for him to make the Canucks. I'm a bit pessimistic on Joulevi's chances at having the same kind of success that McAvoy and Sergachev mainly because the Canucks don't have the depth that Boston and Tampa has so Joulevi's opportunities will likely be limited. But I'm optimistic on him in the long term. He has elite hockey sense and a lot of physical tools to succeed. 

And I know this comparison sounds bad but I don't think Joulevi will disappoint us in the same way Virtanen has disappointed us when compared to Nylander and Ehlers. 

Edited by OneSeventeen
  • Upvote 2

Olli definitely doesn't "jump off the screen".
If Tanev is 'understated', then Juolevi is dead silent.

I personally would have preferred a more remarkable defenceman with such a high pick, but I can see the need for a cold-as-ice, no nonsense defender.

His passing needs to be his focus. A calm defender that can dish the puck is EXACTLY what a team with Boeser, Pettersson, Dahlen, and Lind is going to need going forward.

I just wish Olli looked like he was having a little more fun on the ice, but it's not his style. I do think he could really reassert himself when surrounded with other offensive guys. His passing along the blue line/creating plays on the PP is his number one attribute, so if he develops any sort of chemistry with our new snipers, he could really carve out a nice spot for himself...

I have not lost faith in this prospect. He's not who I would have taken at 5th OA, but he is a great player. Tall, good skater, gets a decent (wrist) shot off, and makes well-executed passes /can keep pace with high skilled players. Sounds like an eventual number 2 D to me, but let's bring him to training camp...

11 minutes ago, OneSeventeen said:

I've been holding off on commenting on Joulevi until he's played a full season in the NHL, but I just wanted to say I think he's been unfairly scrutinized and criticized here lately. Some of us are disappointed that Dubois didn't fall to us as expected. Some of us are green with envy after seeing what McAvoy and Sergachev have done as rookies. Some of us believe that the team needs Tkachuk's combination of attitude and offence. Then there's the extra pressure of being the first defensemen this organization has taken in the first round since Bourdon and the first taken in his draft year. On top of being this organization's only defensive prospect that's pretty much a shoe in to make the NHL.

There's a substantial party of this team's future riding on Joulevi to be an impact player. Some of the pressure that's being put on him is justified but some of it is not. 

For what it's worth, I'm optimistic on Joulevi. Yes he struggled this season in Finland. But he had a pretty great playoffs. So he didn't make Finland's world championship team. The goal is for him to make the Canucks. I'm a bit pessimistic on Joulevi's chances at having the same kind of success that McAvoy and Sergachev mainly because the Canucks don't have the depth that Boston and Tampa has so Joulevi's opportunities will likely be limited. But I'm optimistic on him in the long term. He has elite hockey sense and a lot of physical tools to succeed. 

And I know this comparison sounds bad but I don't think Joulevi will disappoint us in the same way Virtanen has disappointed us when compared to Nylander and Ehlers. 

Olli, like Jake, was drafted for his elite ceiling.  Yes, both these guys will take a bit longer to reach their ceilings, but (once they do) they will surpass others taken around them in their draft classes.  

Olli will be better than Sergachev and MaKavoy, just like Jake is looking to be passing Ehlers and Nylander.  

2 hours ago, OneSeventeen said:

I've been holding off on commenting on Joulevi until he's played a full season in the NHL, but I just wanted to say I think he's been unfairly scrutinized and criticized here lately. Some of us are disappointed that Dubois didn't fall to us as expected. Some of us are green with envy after seeing what McAvoy and Sergachev have done as rookies. Some of us believe that the team needs Tkachuk's combination of attitude and offence. Then there's the extra pressure of being the first defensemen this organization has taken in the first round since Bourdon and the first taken in his draft year. On top of being this organization's only defensive prospect that's pretty much a shoe in to make the NHL.

There's a substantial party of this team's future riding on Joulevi to be an impact player. Some of the pressure that's being put on him is justified but some of it is not. 

Nice post, but I would disagree on him struggling in Finland. He actually progressed nicely over the season and had a pretty good year overall. He scored at a 0.5 ppg pace in his first year as a pro. Which was 2nd on his team in ppg only behind a 32 year old D who lead the back end in points. He did have a few rough patches through out the season, which seems completely reasonable due to

HIM BEING A TEENAGER.

There is just a lot of critism around here (and likely everywhere) against young prospects in all sports. People use the "hey what's wrong with expecting alot out of our prospects blah blah excuse", but I think some people are just wired to complain. Some people like to stir the pot, and some like to wait patiently till the stew is ready.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

Nice post, but I would disagree on him struggling in Finland. He actually progressed nicely over the season and had a pretty good year overall. He scored at a 0.5 ppg pace in his first year as a pro. Which was 2nd on his team in ppg only behind a 32 year old D who lead the back end in points. He did have a few rough patches through out the season, which seems completely reasonable due to

HIM BEING A TEENAGER.

There is just a lot of critism around here (and likely everywhere) against young prospects in all sports. People use the "hey what's wrong with expecting alot out of our prospects blah blah excuse", but I think some people are just wired to complain. Some people like to stir the pot, and some like to wait patiently till the stew is ready.

And Olli was his team’s best Dman in their playoffs.  He logged a lot of minutes, and was awesome.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And Olli was his team’s best Dman in their playoffs.  He logged a lot of minutes, and was awesome.

Progression over the season Alf. He clearly hit a rough patch somewhere at the mid point, but ended strong. What is important is how you handle adversity and grow from it when you are 

STILL A BLOODY TEENAGER.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Progression over the season Alf. He clearly hit a rough patch somewhere at the mid point, but ended strong. What is important is how you handle adversity and grow from it when you are 

STILL A BLOODY TEENAGER.

I totally agree.  It’s not a sprint for a player to reach his ceiling.  Heck, often the guys who reach their ceilings young, only do so because they matured physically younger.  Then the guys who mature a bit later, like Olli, pass those early maturing guys.  

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

:blink: He had one of the best U-20 years as a Dman in the league's history.   How is that "struggling"?   For a first year in the pros in a league that is fast and hard, he had an excellent year.  Add in being the best Finnish player in the WJC and rising to a top pairing Dman in the playoffs, this was a great first year for the guy.   If that is struggling, I sure hope more Canuck propsects "struggle" in their career.   

Yeah contrary to what some poster would like to believe Juolevi is trending upwards. Hopefully he puts in a good hard summer and keeps trending upwards! I think he earns his spot on the Canucks next year.

19 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

It may be just a reddit but I think it proves the point. It was literally the first google thing that popped up when typing "Elias Pettersson sick".

If you're going to start claiming #fakenews then you might want to make sure it's actually fake news first as there's a ton of links on it.

Now can we please start posting like you are older than 5 years old? In fact, can we stop this entire fight between you too and actually be like....adults? I never liked elementary school nor do I want to relive those fights. ;)

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1