The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

This kid probably has the brains to play now but there's no need to rush him if he can't handle Virtanen in front of the net at camp. One more year of physical maturity and this kids gonna blow us away the following year at camp. Bigger, stronger and faster. Boeser is doing the same thing.

I could see the next year being one of the most exciting in Canucks history. Olli and Boeser both make the team while Virtanen's just hitting stride. 

• Upvote 3

Just watched the Jolevi highlights they just posted on Canucks.com

Top shelf corner.... from the blueline...with a wrist shot !!! they goalie had a look at it but couldn't catch up to it...

totally amazing really...

The passes are all on the tape and the correct weight for the situation...soft saucers and bullet 2 liners!

I thought he was almost joking when he said he wants to make the team out of training camp...

now I think he may get his 10 game tryout.

I also noticed how many tap ins Tachuk got off  Oli feeds...probably got half his goals that way...

would not be surprised at all if Olli makes the team out of camp this season. but in all honesty, he would really have to outplay most of the veteran defenseman, and even the bottom pairing guys. If he's even ON PAR, then he goes back to junior, in my opinion. There's no need to rush the kid. However, with that being said, if he's head and shoulders above the competition, and especially against those with NHL games under their belt, then I think Benning and Co make room for the kid. He will in all likelihood get his 9 games, and then they'll probably decide what to do with the kid. I think Canuck management spreads his 9 games over until around December, and then allow him to go to the World Juniors, shine and represent his country and then they probably send him back to junior in London to finish off the year. He makes the club full time next season, in my opinion. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

would not be surprised at all if Olli makes the team out of camp this season. but in all honesty, he would really have to outplay most of the veteran defenseman, and even the bottom pairing guys. If he's even ON PAR, then he goes back to junior, in my opinion. There's no need to rush the kid. However, with that being said, if he's head and shoulders above the competition, and especially against those with NHL games under their belt, then I think Benning and Co make room for the kid. He will in all likelihood get his 9 games, and then they'll probably decide what to do with the kid. I think Canuck management spreads his 9 games over until around December, and then allow him to go to the World Juniors, shine and represent his country and then they probably send him back to junior in London to finish off the year. He makes the club full time next season, in my opinion. 

I like this game plan. I bet we could even sneakily assign him to utica on a conditioning stint a la bo horvat or like Toronto did for corrado last year. 

Edited by Gooseberries

6 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think he will turn some heads come main camp. 

Oh I think he'll look VERY promising. Just don't see him nabbing a spot. 

Love to be wrong though!

Edited by J.R.

On July 7, 2016 at 4:25 PM, Bure_Pavel said:

I have to admit when I first saw the pick I was a little steamed because I was pretty high on both Dubois and Tkachuk, but as I processed it, it was the right pick. Seeing the value of a top pairing D compared to a first line winger, its not even close. Defence wins championships and Juolevi is calm and collected and has a very high ceiling as he still has lots of room to fill out his large frame. If he gets to 6'3 205lbs with his smarts he could be a #1 defenceman for us. The things he did at the WJC as a 17 year old defenceman is just ridiculous. The fact that sutter said he is impossible to forecheck is a great sign, that was one of the big things I remember watching lidstrom is no body could ever seem to touch him and rarely took big hits because his positioning was out of this world.     

I was pretty pumped on us getting Tkachuk as well...At the end of the day,the VALUE of a D,is going to be a lot higher than that of a winger.(provided they both play up to expectations)...So,it wasn't the 'sexy' move by JB (it was actually pretty ballsy),but as you said,the right pick.

I'm excited to see him play in September.

19 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think he will turn some heads come main camp. 

I think he will, and like most seasons I am sure we will start the season with an injury on the back end. Maybe slot Olli in for his 9 games to see if he can handle the load while waiting for injured player to return

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

I sure hope he gets his 9 games in as he was the best pick we could get at 5 and it was a sexy pick!!!!

dunno if Olli was the sexy pick. but he certainly was the right pick for this organization. hoping this young man develops and becomes the franchise dman that we've been looking for. since. our inception into the league. 

18 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

I don't want him in the NHL yet, next year would be the better option. I don't want to rush him.

Ya I agree, He plays for the London Knights why not send him down and give him a year to get stronger and be a real leader on a team. Defencemen on average take longer to develop, even guys like scott niedermayer played another year of junior after being drafted and he went 3rd overall. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎8‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 0:26 PM, smokes said:

Traditionally, D's take longer to develop than forwards so putting him in the NHL is just going to wreck his confidence. I would hope that Juolevi would play in Europe though just for higher competition.

Traditionally you have to get them in camp. Play them in pre-season games or even the 9 game stint? Some guys, see Hanafin, Doughty, Ekblad..., just have it right away.  At camp, if they have it probably is better to let it play out? Just my opinion is he will be up to any challenges confidence wise.

There are three key things. First is the ability to process the play at such a world class speed and under so much heavier physical pressure. Some guys who have it in junior, even the WJC's, have it, and some never learn it (see Reinhart?).  Its the biggest question. Second is the more dynamic athleticism, endurance. There are some who have that composure and processing even in the AHL, see Clendenning, but just don't have the goods physically? But Olli, like the three mentioned above, is a Top 5 pick for a reason. His agility, conditioning and speed is world class. The third is where the question is; does he have the body strength and maturity to deal with the rigours and punishment you can take? His large frame is still relatively skinny; Elite prospects & Hockey DB has him still under 180 lbs. 

That is the weight Chris Tanev & Ben Hutton broke in at with similar height. It would be of course ideal if he put onweight first. Tanev did take a beating and, a tough bastard, has played through more injuries than most? But Tanev & Hutton broke in at 21 after playing against men in college. Its that ability to strengthen up, protect him from injury that is at question. Hanafin and the boys at the top were a lot stronger at 18 & its a legitimate concern. Is it the only real issue keeping him off our team?

But as someone else mentioned > his most tantalizing skill set is that he is "almost impossible to fore-check?" Nick Lindstrom never took much physical abuse because he was so efficient he almost never got hit?

Lets see him at camp.  If he's ready > let her rip!

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I agree with this!

Maybe not with spreading games out after the 9 game trial, through Christmas.  Get him playing, playing as many games, as many reps, in as many situations as possible. If that means London, so be it!

But I for one, like the idea of going to Europe?

It is against men, and better competition than junior. Possibly the AHL, at least in terms of top end talent. (It's not in overall depth and intensity.) But by ice rink size and rules in Europe, less of a chance injury. I also think its fair he get a wage versus playing for free in Europe. I'd have to compare the value of development coaching versus what he would get with Hunter in London. But it's my opinion the increased calibre of competition would be worth it!

• Upvote 1

depends on how well he does as D is tricky to play more so then forwards,but if he is ready i would give him least 9 games and if by then he shows his stuff and he can play hard minutes then he stays as JB has said he would make room!!