The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

12 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Juolevi's agent just said if he doesn't make the Canucks he will be in London next year although he did have interested teams in Europe.

Yes, now that Juolevi has signed with the Canucks he cannot play in Europe next year. If he had not signed he would have been able to play in Europe. That is probably the reason for the delay in signing. Juolevi probably wanted to think about playing in Europe and wanted to see what offers would come in.

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

Yes, now that Juolevi has signed with the Canucks he cannot play in Europe next year. If he had not signed he would have been able to play in Europe. That is probably the reason for the delay in signing. Juolevi probably wanted to think about playing in Europe and wanted to see what offers would come in.

Jensen did.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I remember that too.  Why was he able to do that, but Ollie has to play in London?

Ollie doesn't "have" to play in London. It's a choice. London and Vancouver hold his rights they can agree to loan him anywhere.

it's not because juolevi signed with the canucks, it's because rather than having a pre-existing contract in europe and being loaned to london, he actually signed a contract with london and is thus subject to the chl/ahl agreement. 

6 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Ollie doesn't "have" to play in London. It's a choice. London and Vancouver hold his rights they can agree to loan him anywhere.

4 minutes ago, tas said:

it's not because juolevi signed with the canucks, it's because rather than having a pre-existing contract in europe and being loaned to london, he actually signed a contract with london and is thus subject to the chl/ahl agreement. 

So he could go play in Europe if he wanted?  

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

So he could go play in Europe if he wanted?  

I have checked into this quite a lot and there are a few moving pieces.Here is my current understanding.

1. Players who come to the CHL leagues (such as the OHL) AFTER signing a contract in Europe can go back. In effect, they are on loan to the CHL. Juolevi is NOT in that category.

2. There is an agreement between the NHL and the OHL that players under contract with NHL teams who played in the CHL CANNOT be sent anywhere but the CHL. Juolevi is now in that category.

3. A player who is drafted by an NHL team but NOT signed can play in Europe if he wants. The NHL does not control where he plays and the agreement between the NHL and the CHL is not binding on that player until he signs a contract with the NHL team.

So, if Juolevi had not signed with the Canucks this summer he could have played in Europe. But now that he has signed, he cannot do so.

As for London loaning him to a European team, that is possible but a special exemption is needed (I think). That would come up in  hardship situations (need to be near his family or something like that) and probably not in many other cases.

• Upvote 1

While it's unlikely he plays anywhere other than the Canucks or London, it is technically possible that he could be loaned to Europe. It'd involve compensation for London (when Jensen was loaned the compensation was actually in limbo and being renegotiated) making it harder to a European team to pursue, but it is still possible if they really want that as an option.

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

While it's unlikely he plays anywhere other than the Canucks or London, it is technically possible that he could be loaned to Europe. It'd involve compensation for London (when Jensen was loaned the compensation was actually in limbo and being renegotiated) making it harder to a European team to pursue, but it is still possible if they really want that as an option.

Possible like you say but won't happen.

Great news. Another year in London will show us what Juolevi can do. The team will not be a stacked as last years and Juolevi's role will greatly increase. Tkachuk is also likely to return. 

I want to see how Juolevi does running the PP from the left point.  We can compare samples readily between last season and the upcoming one.  Both he and the 2016 draft picks in London might be playing to prove that it wasn't all Marner and Dvorak.  

He can always change the outcome by competing his way onto the NHL roster.  He will have to be highly motivated. Wishful thinking, but give a guy a a carrot. 

EW. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast

10 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Great news. Another year in London will show us what Juolevi can do. The team will not be a stacked as last years and Juolevi's role will greatly increase. Tkachuk is also likely to return. 

I want to see how Juolevi does running the PP from the left point.  We can compare samples readily between last season and the upcoming one.  Both he and the 2016 draft picks in London might be playing to prove that it wasn't all Marner and Dvorak.  

He can always change the outcome by competing his way onto the NHL roster.  He will have to be highly motivated. Wishful thinking, but give a guy a a carrot. 

EW. 

I see Ollie making the big club.  The team needs to sell interest, which drives tickets sales.  Having Ollie there will help with that.  If the team gets off to a good start, and winning starts selling the seats, then (maybe) Ollie goes back to London when his nine games are up.  IMHAO.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I see Ollie making the big club.  The team needs to sell interest, which drives tickets sales.  Having Ollie there will help with that.  If the team gets off to a good start, and winning starts selling the seats, then (maybe) Ollie goes back to London when his nine games are up.  IMHAO.

A year ago I would have agreed with you. I wanted the kids on the big club more than maybe anyone, just cause it gave us something to look forward to in a year that was destined to be miserable.

I'm still happy they did, but I think most people see it as a failed experiment, no?

In any case, it doesn't seem like there is the same appetite this year for a young gun to make the team, nor is our D in shambles and with spots open like there was last year.

(Also, can you imagine how amazingly horrible our D would have been last year if Hutton didn't come out of nowhere? Would we have ever seen a 2nd paring of Weber and Corrado?!)

• Upvote 2