Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 minute ago, Outsiders said:

Oh god could you imagine our defence in like 4 years 

Juolevi-Liljegren

Hutton-Guddy

_______- Stecher 

Juolevi shoots left, Liljegren shoots right  If they panned out to half their potential it's 2 d-men the likes of which this team have never had.  Like a better Edler and a better Ohlund without the physicality.  except of course Liljegren throws the body and is only 17.5 years 

Just now, Warhippy said:

Juolevi shoots left, Liljegren shoots right  If they panned out to half their potential it's 2 d-men the likes of which this team have never had.  Like a better Edler and a better Ohlund without the physicality.  except of course Liljegren throws the body and is only 17.5 years 

Can a team afford two elite guys, and still have Cap space for elite scoring up front?  I guess we could develop one, and trade him like the King's did to get Carter, and the Preds did to get RJ.

Just now, Warhippy said:

He looks amazing.  Skates like Karlsson thinks the game like Lidstrom and just turned 17 years old 14 months playing against men potting almost 40 points.

Ya...him and Juolevi on our blue line makes me salivate.

I agree he looks To be a game changer where as Patrick is your safer meat and potatoes Canadian  1C. Be interesting to see which guy goes first if say the leafs win the lottery who are loaded with C's. 

8 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I agree he looks To be a game changer where as Patrick is your safer meat and potatoes Canadian  1C. Be interesting to see which guy goes first if say the leafs win the lottery who are loaded with C's. 

It's funny.  Juolevi looks to be experiencing those growing pains people speak of.  Those pains people shy away from taking defense high for.  Offense is flashy, is fun exciting and tangible.  But the Oilers drafted nothing but offense.  Leafs only drafted 1 defenseman.  Ironically, both teams managed the best forwards in a generation during their last high drafts and are now suffering from D issues.

We hear endlessly how franchise forwards can be found all over the draft.  Knowing Benning's love of D men, and history as a player why wouldn't he then take the risk drafting what could be the most sure thing for a D we've seen in a draft since Pronger.

Hell if it means we suck for 2 years while we wait for him and Juolevi to develop in order to have the next Stevens/Neidermeyer/Lidstrom etc.

Do it

Besides if analysts/experts/scouts are pegging Nolan as nothing more than a larger version of RNH.  Take the D man

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's funny.  Juolevi looks to be experiencing those growing pains people speak of.  Those pains people shy away from taking defense high for.  Offense is flashy, is fun exciting and tangible.  But the Oilers drafted nothing but offense.  Leafs only drafted 1 defenseman.  Ironically, both teams managed the best forwards in a generation during their last high drafts and are now suffering from D issues.

We hear endlessly how franchise forwards can be found all over the draft.  Knowing Benning's love of D men, and history as a player why wouldn't he then take the risk drafting what could be the most sure thing for a D we've seen in a draft since Pronger.

Hell if it means we suck for 2 years while we wait for him and Juolevi to develop in order to have the next Stevens/Neidermeyer/Lidstrom etc.

Do it

Besides if analysts/experts/scouts are pegging Nolan as nothing more than a larger version of RNH.  Take the D man

I agree, if you are "Rebuilding" you gotta get those potential 1D in the system ASAP because it takes a long time to develop that Norris level player that dictates games and playoff series. The forwards can make an impact much sooner. If I mess around with my abucus the beads tell me to start drafting the Best D available in the 1st round unless there is something generational falling on your lap. 

2 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I agree, if you are "Rebuilding" you gotta get those potential 1D in the system ASAP because it takes a long time to develop that Norris level player that dictates games and playoff series. The forwards can make an impact much sooner. If I mess around with my abucus the beads tell me to start drafting the Best D available in the 1st round unless there is something generational falling on your lap. 

Draft top D in back to back to back rounds or multiple D in the first 2 rounds for consecutive years allowing you to take those risks on centers and forwards.  by the time those D are NHL ready your forwards are sophomores.

I'd do it every time.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

He looks amazing.  Skates like Karlsson thinks the game like Lidstrom and just turned 17 years old 14 months playing against men potting almost 40 points in his first season, most of which as a 16 year old.

Ya...him and Juolevi on our blue line makes me salivate.

I have no idea where you are getting your stats from but that is way off if you are talking about Liljegren.

Timothy Liljegren career totals:

stats_arrow.gif Hlinka Memorial:

5 1 3 4 0.80 -1  |              
 stats_arrow.gif International-Jr: 33 9 15 24 0.73 10  |              
 stats_arrow.gif J18 Allsvenskan: 15 3 6 9 0.60 |              
 stats_arrow.gif J18 Div.1: 4 0 3 3 0.75 |              
 stats_arrow.gif J18 Elit: 15 4 7 11 0.73 12  |              
 stats_arrow.gif J20 Div.1: 16 1 3 4 0.25 | 3 0 0 0 0.00
 stats_arrow.gif SHL: 19 1 4 5 0.26 -7  |              
 stats_arrow.gif SuperElit: 31 9 15 24 0.77 28  24  | 3 1 2 3 1.00 -3 
 stats_arrow.gif TV-Pucken: 6 5 1 6 1.00 |              
 stats_arrow.gif U16 Elit: 35 31 26 57 1.63 28  |              
 stats_arrow.gif U16 SM: 3 2 2 4 1.33 |              
 stats_arrow.gif WHC-17: 6 3 2 5 0.83 |              
 stats_arrow.gif WJC-18: 7 1 5 6 0.86

Doesn't take away form the fact that I believe he has got the highest ceiling going into the 2017 draft. 

It's true that he has spent time playing for the mens team but it wasn't throughout a full season he split time with multiple teams. He had a really busy year, so much so that he had to turn down the mens team offer of playing him after an international tournament because he felt he was "burned out". He played an insane amount of games in his 16 year old season for the U-18s, U-20s, mens, and in international tournaments for both the u-17 and u-18 squads. The team praised him for his honesty and maturity for recognising that he needed a chance to rest. All that traveling, all those different teams, coaches, places, and busy schedule would be tough for a 16 year old. 

I have him ranked as the best prospect for the 2017 draft. It's quite tough to get an NHL player comparison because I don't know any defender who jumps into the play quite like Liljegren. Perhaps a mix of Drew Doughty and Tj Brodie would be my comparison. 

Having both him and Juolevi would be a dream. 

Edited by DeltaSwede

10 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

I have no idea where you are getting your stats from but that is way off if you are talking about Liljegren.

Timothy Liljegren career totals:

stats_arrow.gif Hlinka Memorial:

5 1 3 4 0.80 -1  |              
 stats_arrow.gif International-Jr: 33 9 15 24 0.73 10  |              
 stats_arrow.gif J18 Allsvenskan: 15 3 6 9 0.60 |              
 stats_arrow.gif J18 Div.1: 4 0 3 3 0.75 |              
 stats_arrow.gif J18 Elit: 15 4 7 11 0.73 12  |              
 stats_arrow.gif J20 Div.1: 16 1 3 4 0.25 | 3 0 0 0 0.00
 stats_arrow.gif SHL: 19 1 4 5 0.26 -7  |              
 stats_arrow.gif SuperElit: 31 9 15 24 0.77 28  24  | 3 1 2 3 1.00 -3 
 stats_arrow.gif TV-Pucken: 6 5 1 6 1.00 |              
 stats_arrow.gif U16 Elit: 35 31 26 57 1.63 28  |              
 stats_arrow.gif U16 SM: 3 2 2 4 1.33 |              
 stats_arrow.gif WHC-17: 6 3 2 5 0.83 |              
 stats_arrow.gif WJC-18: 7 1 5 6 0.86

Doesn't take away form the fact that I believe he has got the highest ceiling going into the 2017 draft. 

It's true that he has spent time playing for the mens team but it wasn't throughout a full season he split time with multiple teams. He had a really busy year, so much so that he had to turn down the mens team offer of playing him after an international tournament because he felt he was "burned out". He played an insane amount of games in his 16 year old season for the U-18s, U-20s, mens, and in international tournaments. The team praised him for his honesty and maturity for recognising that he needed a chance to rest for a couple of days (it could have been around christmas time, I can't remember).

I have him ranked as the best prospect for the 2017 draft.

Ooops, pretty sure I was looking at Viktor Liljegrens' stats :lol::lol:

But it doesn't take away from his amazing abilities nor his ceiling.  The guy for me is the #1 pick in this draft.  I cannot wait to see him at the WJC, especially with the forward grouping Sweden is assembling or could assemble

Edited by Warhippy

If we somehow landed Liljegren, by either trading up or picking top-2, we could use the rest of our picks in 2017 and all of our picks in 2018 on forwards. Vancouver would have one of the best future defense cores in the league. We could trade Tanev once Liljegren is ready to take over and get one of our forwards that way. 

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Hyping players almost a year before the draft is pointless. So much will change over the course of these players draft year.

Unless there's a Hedman or Ekblad in the 2017 draft there's no point tanking for a D-man.

Uhmmm tanking implies intentionally sucking

We're actually trying

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Uhmmm tanking implies intentionally sucking

We're actually trying

It would require shipping out contracts, no team intentionally tells their players to suck.

Last season they were trying too, and had they realized the direction the team was going sooner they may have been able to tank hard enough to get the first overall.

The standings are so tight now that even if a team tries until March, they can still be close enough to the bottom of the standings to choose either direction. Lets just hope that if this team isn't close that management does the wise thing and makes moves to help the tank rather than fight it.

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

\ Liljegren excites me more than Patrick. And what excites me more is a left handed top 2 defender (Juolevi) and a right handed franchise defender (Liljegren) paired up in the future... 

And if we could fetch another top 15 pick and grab LW Christian Vesalainen (6'3 200lbs)...

Vesalainen/Granlund or Horvat/Boeser

Baertschi/Horvat or Granlund/Virtanen

Juolevi/Liljegren

Hutton/Stecher

Tryamkin/Guddy

Demko

One can dream lol.

Edited by Odd.

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It would require shipping out contracts, no team intentionally tells their players to suck.

Last season they were trying too, and had they realized the direction the team was going sooner they may have been able to tank hard enough to get the first overall.

The standings are so tight now that even if a team tries until March, they can still be close enough to the bottom of the standings to choose either direction. Lets just hope that if this team isn't close that management does the wise thing and makes moves to help the tank rather than fight it.

The first 20 games can make or break a season.  But without some sort of drastic change we're drafting top 10.

I can dream.  And Liljegren does look to be a Hedman/Ekblad type D man by his age/size/points/skating and on ice IQ

Edited by Warhippy

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

\ Liljegren excites me more than Patrick. And what excites me more is a left handed top 2 defender (Juolevi) and a right handed franchise defender (Liljegren) paired up in the future... 

And if we could fetch another top 15 pick and grab LW Christian Vesalainen (6'3 200lbs)...

Vesalainen/Granlund or Horvat/Boeser

Baertschi/Horvat or Granlund/Virtanen

Juolevi/Liljegren

Hutton/Stecher

Tryamkin/Guddy

Demko

One can dream lol.

Like I said, this WJC is going to be something to get excited about.  if we're going in to a poor draft and the consensus is a center that projects to a slightly larger RNH and a D man that could top out at Lidstrom or bottom out at Edler

I know who I am taking

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The first 20 games can make or break a season.  But without some sort of drastic change we're drafting top 10.

I can dream.  And Liljegren does look to be a Hedman/Ekblad type D man by his age/size/points/skating and on ice IQ

Biggest difference is that he's 5'11".

These rankings can change so much in a draft year, just look at Chychrun. If we're gonna tank this year, Patrick is the only player that would make it worth it for me.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

All it takes is Baer to start potting some of his chances and Eriksson to get going (after a not uncommon for him slow start) and all of a sudden we're winning those 2-1 and 3-2 games instead of losing them. All of a sudden we're a mid pack 10-20 team again.

Rodin could be a wild card with that too. 

Though I do agree/think they need to shuffle the lineup.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Biggest difference is that he's 5'11".

These rankings can change so much in a draft year, just look at Chychrun. If we're gonna tank this year, Patrick is the only player that would make it worth it for me.

Lidstrom was 6 foot 1 drafted 5 11.  Neidermeyer 6 foot 1 drafted 5 foot 10.  Karlsson 6 foot even.

That's not really a difference.  We always hear how offense can be found everywhere right?  So why are we risking (in the event we're drafting 1 or 2) that pick on a guy who even Bob McKenzie says is not a franchise defining center?  If we want that we can trade for Strome out of Arizona.

The'res a lot of hockey left but...Juolevi/Liljegren do sound hypothetically good together

• Upvote 1