The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Would  Dan Hamhuis in his prime be a fair comparison for what Juolevi's most likely potential is? I hear a lot of things about his game that reminds me of Hamhuis, and Hamhuis was a fairly legit #2D in his prime so this wouldn't be a bad thing by any means (around 30ish points every year and super smooth/solid defensive play).

Edited by OptionalPants

18 hours ago, OptionalPants said:

Would  Dan Hamhuis in his prime be a fair comparison for what Juolevi's most likely potential is? I hear a lot of things about his game that reminds me of Hamhuis, and Hamhuis was a fairly legit #2D in his prime so this wouldn't be a bad thing by any means (around 30ish points every year and super smooth/solid defensive play).

I think Olli can think the game better than Hammer.  His stick handling is excellent and that pass is sublime.  He is similar in the steadiness of his game and how he calms things down on defence. But I have never seen Hammer walk the blue line or seamlessly go to the net like Juolevi. 

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I think Olli can think the game better than Hammer.  His stick handling is excellent and that pass is sublime.  He is similar in the steadiness of his game and how he calms things down on defence. But I have never seen Hammer walk the blue line or seamlessly go to the net like Juolevi. 

Alright, thanks for responding. I must admit that I haven't really been following Juolevi too closely so it is good to hear that he might end up like a more offensive Hamhuis. What do you think about Hamhuis kind of being Juolevi's low end of potential...like if his game doesnt fully translate to the NHL we would still most likely be getting a steady defensive guy with like a 20 point average?

55 minutes ago, OptionalPants said:

Alright, thanks for responding. I must admit that I haven't really been following Juolevi too closely so it is good to hear that he might end up like a more offensive Hamhuis. What do you think about Hamhuis kind of being Juolevi's low end of potential...like if his game doesnt fully translate to the NHL we would still most likely be getting a steady defensive guy with like a 20 point average?

Hammer is a good baseline. Vlasic has been used by many analysts and JB. OJ might never be the marque player for the masses, but can be the glue that holds everything together. 

Put him with a hotshot Jovo clone and watch out.  

• Upvote 1

On 11/6/2016 at 3:58 PM, The 5th Line said:

Yeah well it's gonna be a lonnnggg 5 years 

Okay, a long 5 years as in wishing we drafted Tkachuk instead until that time? Seems like an unnecessary ulcer to develop no?

Or are you just meaning a long 5 years in waiting for Juolevi?

So 10 points in 12 GP now. 0.83 points/GP. 18th among OHL defensemen in points/GP and 27th in points. Not bad.

Hopefully he'll climb the ladder as the season progresses and finish above a point per game and in the top-10 OHL defensemen in total scoring and scoring rate.

Of course, points totals aren't the "end all and be all" for a player like Juolevi. His contributions don't always show up on the scoresheet (at least in terms of points that get credited to him--and he gets lots of "3rd assists" on team goals). 

I suspect that if the OHL kept advanced stats, we'd see a fairly significant positive on-ice effect on possession and scoring chances.

11 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So 10 points in 12 GP now. 0.83 points/GP. 18th among OHL defensemen in points/GP and 27th in points. Not bad.

Hopefully he'll climb the ladder as the season progresses and finish above a point per game and in the top-10 OHL defensemen in total scoring and scoring rate.

Of course, points totals aren't the "end all and be all" for a player like Juolevi. His contributions don't always show up on the scoresheet (at least in terms of points that get credited to him--and he gets lots of "3rd assists" on team goals). 

I suspect that if the OHL kept advanced stats, we'd see a fairly significant positive on-ice effect on possession and scoring chances.

he also doesnt have Marner. Dvorak and Tkachuk this year which will really cut down on his points.

On 11/9/2016 at 11:22 AM, ShakyWalton said:

he also doesnt have Marner. Dvorak and Tkachuk this year which will really cut down on his points.

Yes, it has been worrying me that Juolevi's numbers last year were largely due to playing on a very good team with the best line in Junior hockey often in front of him, especially on the PP. Also, I know that Benning liked him at the World Juniors last year but, once again, he was playing behind the best forwards at the World Juniors. As the #5 overall pick you would hope that he would be a dominant player in the OHL in his draft+1 year but he is just one of several very good defencemen in the league. Let's hope he picks things up. I am seeing too many excuses -- "third assist", "great first pass", etc. He is not physical but he is supposed to be very good at both ends of the ice. So he should be putting up reasonable point totals and very good good +/- numbers.

• Upvote 2