The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

38 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Virtanen McCaan and Horvat say hi

Just because he IS playing top 6 in Calgary doesn't mean he'd get top 6 here.

that's true. and here in van, it seems like rookies almost always start on the fourth line and work their way up. 

(i.e. horvat, virtanen, etc) with the exception of probably the sedins - i don't remember them ever playing on the fourth line to start even....

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

that's true. and here in van, it seems like rookies almost always start on the fourth line and work their way up. 

(i.e. horvat, virtanen, etc) with the exception of probably the sedins - i don't remember them ever playing on the fourth line to start even....

2nd and 3rd lines if I recall. Been a while though :lol:

32 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Does it really matter much what Tkachuck may or may not have done here, on this team, this year?

I'm more concerned with who will be better 3+ years from now. 

Just speculating of course. But look at the canucks thread, most people are complaining about the loses. we've pretty much got rid of players they've complained about the past 2 years but of course the blaming will never end. Now even the slightest things matters just to have something to blame on.

I'm not concerned with whom will be better in 3+years, I already think I know who's going to be it. But Im concerned with how our overall team will turnout in those years when the Sedins are gone. 

27 minutes ago, BlackBeard said:

Just speculating of course. But look at the canucks thread, most people are complaining about the loses. we've pretty much got rid of players they've complained about the past 2 years but of course the blaming will never end. Now even the slightest things matters just to have something to blame on.

I'm not concerned with whom will be better in 3+years, I already think I know who's going to be it. But Im concerned with how our overall team will turnout in those years when the Sedins are gone. 

I'm with you on this and I do believe we have taken pretty good steps in assuring that we aren't going to be in the gutter when the sedins decide to call it. Another top 5 pick added to our already growing list of prospects with REAL potential, burrows opening up a roster spot next year with 4.5 coming off the books, and not pressuring our rookies young guys to succeed by throwing them into the fire i.e. virtanen. We will be better for it in the future.

Although i do believe virtanen should be in the minors killing it in the AHL but as many people have stated maybe they kept him up to have more control of his develeopment and more control over his lifestyle outside the rink.

3 hours ago, lethal_spaghetti said:

I'm with you on this and I do believe we have taken pretty good steps in assuring that we aren't going to be in the gutter when the sedins decide to call it. Another top 5 pick added to our already growing list of prospects with REAL potential, burrows opening up a roster spot next year with 4.5 coming off the books, and not pressuring our rookies young guys to succeed by throwing them into the fire i.e. virtanen. We will be better for it in the future.

Although i do believe virtanen should be in the minors killing it in the AHL but as many people have stated maybe they kept him up to have more control of his develeopment and more control over his lifestyle outside the rink.

So you think it would be good development for Virt to play on the 30th place team out of 30 AHL clubs.

Who on the Comets would be linemates for Virt to develop with ?  

No thanks. I would rather see him on the  Canucks get a good 15 minutes per game with skilled players and with 1 min of PP time . 

4 hours ago, J.R. said:

Does it really matter much what Tkachuck may or may not have done here, on this team, this year?

I'm more concerned with who will be better 3+ years from now. 

Sometimes I don't understand what our fans want.
I can't think of a single fan who does not want to build for the future. Time and time again, I see fair complaints from the fans that management is making errors trying to build a competitive team now when we should be stocking up for the future.
And here we have drafted possibly the top defenseman of the draft, and fans are in this thread in droves wishing Tkachuk could help our team today.

I just don't get it. I guess we just want all the players.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, EmilyM said:

I can't think of a single fan who does not want to build for the future. Time and time again, I see fair complaints from the fans that management is making errors trying to build a competitive team now when we should be stocking up for the future.
And here we have drafted possibly the top defenseman of the draft, and fans are in this thread in droves wishing Tkachuk could help our team today.

7 hours ago, J.R. said:

Sadly, we can't draft ALL the players :P

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, EmilyM said:

Fairweather fans...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

So you think it would be good development for Virt to play on the 30th place team out of 30 AHL clubs.

Who on the Comets would be linemates for Virt to develop with ?  

No thanks. I would rather see him on the  Canucks get a good 15 minutes per game with skilled players and with 1 min of PP time . 

I like it, lots of excuses for the young fella. Utica has Travis Green and Virtanen would play 1st line minutes and power plays against lesser competition. 

2 hours ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Watched Juolevis highlights yesterday where London score 7 and he didn't collect any points. Man I can't say it wasn't without effort. Could have easily had 3 or 4 points! 

Sounds like a true Canuck! haha JK I know the slump will end. 

I am really excited about Juolevi, but as always I want him to exceed expectations like Boeser, Lockwood, Gaudette, Hutton, Stecher, McKenzie, etc. Way harder to do that as a 5th OA pick playing junior who is a Defenceman obviously, but still. Would be nice to see him go on a bit of a tear at some point this year.

9 hours ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Watched Juolevis highlights yesterday where London score 7 and he didn't collect any points. Man I can't say it wasn't without effort. Could have easily had 3 or 4 points! 

Who was it that said he was the one to initiate the play, so often he is the third or fourth guy to touch the puck thus he doesn't always show on the scoresheet?

25 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Who was it that said he was the one to initiate the play, so often he is the third or fourth guy to touch the puck thus he doesn't always show on the scoresheet?

That's pretty much going to be him. He may never be more than a 25-30 point D in the NHL but he'll be the 4th back guy that started the play that led to the goal.

A lot. 

32 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That's pretty much going to be him. He may never be more than a 25-30 point D in the NHL but he'll be the 4th back guy that started the play that led to the goal.

A lot. 

haha, when you think about it all 5 players on the ice contributes to a goal

I see him more like a M E Vlasic which is nothing to cry about. I still don't think he is that pure 1D like a Keith or Doughty. He just doesn't put up the points in Jr to say otherwise. But my God can he move that puck. He is going to be a Corsi God. 

I have and always will be a fan of this pick. Don't let his low scoring numbers fool you, he drives the play to the right side of the rink. I wish we woulda drafted this kid 10 years ago. This is probably my favourite Benning pick so far. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

It might have been me (although plenty of others have said similar things).

I referred to Juolevi around 20 pages back as a "master of the 3rd assist" and talked about how he's "very quick to advance the puck up ice and get the offense going.

"He puts his forwards (and D partner) in position to succeed. It's not always obvious but I think if you roll back tape on his shifts, you'll more often than not find him making a critical play that started most of the team scoring chances."

Could that be the post you're thinking of?

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

A lot. 

Although we've seen during this last streak of games just how often a goal can breakdown (so those 1st and 2nd assists are important, as is the finish), if you can increase the number of times you're not just getting the puck out of your end but also creating an opportunity for players to attack off the rush then it'll make a difference in the number of chances you get.