The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

On 10/23/2016 at 7:13 PM, Kass said:

They both almost said the same thing one after another. With a few words slightly different. 

Thanks guys. I'm glad you agree on his stats tonight. 

You then replied to them with that. So I went and slightly altered what you said so it would be a double double.

Bless you guys. I'm joyed to see that you can concur on his points this evening.

Okay.....hahaha...:)

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I had him in my top 10 at the draft, not hindsight.

Even in his 5 games, who would he have knocked out of the top 10. Sergachev has debuted in the NHL and made a much tougher Defense squad, and he also dominated in preseason. Jost is looking good playing along side Boeser, Nylander is a high end talent that will develop similar to his brother.  Keller has also played well as a PPG in the NCAA.  I don't know who'd i'd replace out of the top 10,

As best I could see him ahead of Brown at 11

• Upvote 1

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Even in his 5 games, who would he have knocked out of the top 10. Sergachev has debuted in the NHL and made a much tougher Defense squad, and he also dominated in preseason. Jost is looking good playing along side Boeser, Nylander is a high end talent that will develop similar to his brother.  Keller has also played well as a PPG in the NCAA.  I don't know who'd i'd replace out of the top 10,

As best I could see him ahead of Brown at 11

Nylander IMO.

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Fair enough. I just see Nylander as high of a talent as his bro, who's currently 2nd in NHL points. 

Right now it's all just speculation still, we wont know how players continue to develop over the next 5 years. 

Not to say Nylander's crap or anything. I just would have picked JC before him personally. But no, we won't know anything for sure for 5+ years.

6 hours ago, The Lock said:

I don't know to be honest. Hindsight is so easy to make these kind of assumptions, especially if someone gets off to a good start. We could have been saying the exact same thing about McCann around this time of last year and, before last season, McCann wasn't even considered to be a great prospect by some.

I think what we really have to do is look at when he was drafted and the factors looming around him: he didn't make the Team Canada, he started lagging behind during the season, and other defenders started looking better than him. We did not have a crystal ball to show what he's doing now.

Essentially, you can't used hindsight as a reason for whether we should or should not have drafted someone; yet, it's something a lot of people seem to want to do this. This especially proves a false case when you consider they would have had to go on a different path to the NHL: a different team, a different competition, a different staff to determine whether he stays up or goes back to minors. Using what happens now as a "should have could have" It's simply not a good argument to make. In fact, it's a very weak argument to make.

People assume, if you're a highly ranked prospect in the draft, you're guaranteed a spot on TC. The truth is, he was never going to make that team, unless he absolutely blew the coaching staff out of the waters, in the pre-tourney. It's a rare feat, for a 17 year old to make team Canada, especially for a defensemen. There's only been four players, do to so.

I think the pressure really got to him. He's been under the limelight since he was a 14 year old, and when he didn't look dominate on the ice, scouts started to nitpick every mistake he made. If Sergachev and Juolevi, were hyped up as much as Chychrun was, both probably would have fallen as well.

Looks like the right call was made when we sent down Olli and for us this will be huge in 2 to 3 years if we then send him to the AHL for a year or two unless he really shines next year in preseason.I would say like Stetcher  he should get sometime in the AHL first to make sure he can play against better players!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, shiznak said:

People assume, if you're a highly ranked prospect in the draft, you're guaranteed a spot on TC. The truth is, he was never going to make that team, unless he absolutely blew the coaching staff out of the waters, in the pre-tourney. It's a rare feat, for a 17 year old to make team Canada, especially for a defensemen. There's only been four players, do to so.

I think the pressure really got to him. He's been under the limelight since he was a 14 year old, and when he didn't look dominate on the ice, scouts started to nitpick every mistake he made. If Sergachev and Juolevi, were hyped up as much as Chychrun was, both probably would have fallen as well.

Perhaps they would have, but perhaps not. You're right that he was in the limelight, but different people react differently under pressure; therefore, it's unfair really to assume Juolevi or Sergachev would do the same. With your reasoning, one could even argue that even making the NHL creates a lot of pressure on a player. NHL players are going to be in the limelight. NHL players are also going to have pressure on the ice. If Chychrun can't handle the media limelight, could that be an indication that he'll buckle under pressure in the playoffs? He may or may not, but it's something to think about all the same.

There's more to it than just saying "oh, he was in the limelight and buckled under that limelight". These are still professional scouts we're talking about. Were they really nitpicking him differently than they would any other player? I'm a little doubtful that would be the case when their very jobs rely on being objective and providing professional opinions of the matter. Not to mention we're talking about multiple scouts: not just one, so we can't even just say we have 1 dorky scout who doesn't know any better.

All in all, I'm just saying what the situation was when he was drafted and that you can't really use what he's doing now as evidence for something that's happened in the past.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

On 2016-10-25 at 11:51 PM, LaBamba said:

What exactly is your opinion based on? 

It's an opinion.  Oli will be the most important player taken in his draft class.  He will be a five time Norris winner, and anchor three Canuck Cup winners.  Opinion.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

It's an opinion.  Oli will be the most important player taken in his draft class.  He will be a five time Norris winner, and anchor three Canuck Cup winners.  Opinion.  

that's the hope.  I think he's good enough if he lives up to his potential he will be at least in the discussion for future Norris'.  he is determined and passionate.

I am very excited for him as a pick.   thkauk will be good but he won't be Juolevi good.  (how do I spell thkauk again? lol)

Edited by Rush17
  • Upvote 1

On 26/10/2016 at 8:57 AM, J.R. said:

8-ball.jpg

I had him in my top 10 at the draft, not hindsight.

I had canner at 12. I was hoping for Pastrnak with that pick but mccann was worked out well for us with the acquisition of guddy. 

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

that's the hope.  I think he's good enough if he lives up to his potential he will be at least in the discussion for future Norris'.  he is determined and passionate.

I am very excited for him as a pick.   thkauk will be good but he won't be Juolevi good.  (how do I spell thkauk again? lol)

Meh im wasnt too happy with this pick but whatever. 

#TysonJost