The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Man can you read like at all? I don't care what kind of shape he is in. The fact that he so obviously didn't prepare for these tests at all shows a lot about his work ethic. 

He hasn't played since April 23rd. He's had 5 weeks to figure out how to do a pullup with proper form and he couldn't do it. 

I never once mentioned his fitness level. Only his level of commitment. 

Not being able to do a pull up doesn't show lack of commitment. He's an 18 year old kid for god sackes. Not every prospect is going to be a physical specimen. The fact that he showed well in other testing shows he does have commitment and the dedication to one day become a great player. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

It means he didn't prepare for the combine. Lack of commitment imo.

Not at all - and you realize he's going to go to university to develop. They have great strength and conditioning training programs in university's. Not a red flag at all.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I’ve training, alongside NHL players, and not once did we ever focus on bench press and pull ups.   Those workouts are to pick up girls, not win hockey games

Did you do the complete training that they're doing or just one specific part? Most of the kids have different training - one for endurance, one for upper-body, one for lower-body, one for explosiveness, one for cardio, etc. Even if the training didn't focus on specifically bench presses or pull-ups, I'm sure there was some upper-body training that focuses on the body parts associated with doing pull-ups and bench presses.

Vilardi and Makar would be perfect, but everything would need to happen right. Is that possible in Canucksland? I suppose, it's possible.

Further interviews with Glass and Pettersson have me intrigued. It seems like it's come down to these two guys for the #5. Really hoping JB can hit a homerun deal with trading Tanev. As awesome as it would be for the Canucks to pick #3 and #5, that would be incredible, which makes me think it's not going to happen. Call me negative, but I prefer the term "realistic". I can see, however, Tanev being traded for a mid-1st, and in that case I'd be happy with Foote, Suzuki, Vesalainen, Norris or Timmins.

Seeing as ARI has two 1st round picks, perhaps we trade Tanev to the Coyotes for their #23 and a prospect.

to ARI - Tanev

to VAN - #23 and (LW) Brendan Perlini

#5 - Glass/Pettersson

#23 - Timmins

Edited by NUCKER67

So...now we're arguing about what?

I am lost here because in the last month 2 or 3 people have gone between what the word consensus means, what the word BPA means, what the difference between a defensive defenceman/offensive defenceman are and now what combine results mean or strength and conditioning and how it relates to athletic performance.

Might be time to simply put the devices away and go outside gentlemen

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TheHockeyNerds said:

Not being able to do a pull up doesn't show lack of commitment. He's an 18 year old kid for god sackes. Not every prospect is going to be a physical specimen. The fact that he showed well in other testing shows he does have commitment and the dedication to one day become a great player. 

So apparently I'm a physical specimen because I can do 1 pullup...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I’ve training, alongside NHL players, and not once did we ever focus on bench press and pull ups.   Those workouts are to pick up girls, not win hockey games

Nothing wrong with picking up girls though....:P

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Wayne Gretzky finished dead last in every conceivable strength/endurance test when he was an Oiler....More and more,I'm starting to believe that 'whats between the ears' is more important than how many pull ups/bench presses you can do.

• Upvote 1

Gretzky is not a good comparable to Mittelstadt as the "whimpy guy who is an excellent player". Gretzky played in a different era, he had goons watching his back and greats like Messier, Kurri, Anderson etc on his team. He was great, but he had help. Whether he was able to do a pull up is irrelevant. He was a phenom. Mittelstadt isn't. Today's game is different. The players are faster, stronger, and I'd say better. With McDavid's speed and skill set, could you imagine him playing in the 80s against players who enjoyed steaks and beers after the games? He'd probably score at least 50 goals every season.

• Upvote 1

Yes hockey IQ beats everything, just look at how many goals H.Sedin has scored by passing the puck into the net finishing off a great play.

I don't really understand how combine after combine there are guys who cant do 2 pull ups. It is super weird to me. When I was in high school we did fitness testing every year, I never ever stepped foot inside a gym and was pretty scrawny with no bicepts, just noodle arms, yet I would max out at 15 pullups (proper pull ups). 5 was easy, 10 was a struggle, 10-15 were excruciating. ( I was 6.0' / 160-175 Lbs. last 3 years of high school ). Are they just not trying?! Or maybe its just how different peoples bodies are built? I remember the short guys always killed the pull up competitions, from shoulder to elbow and from elbow to wrist their arms were much shorter ( generating more torque? )

51 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yes you do pick areas of focus that you want to work on but it's all fairly consistent depending on you're hockey skill set.  A player like Dorsett will train much different than Granlund.  Unless you are a smaller guy, it's all low weight high reps. 

All my hockey training was about short term burst, so all the training was about building explosive power, bench press doesn't do that, explosive pushups would be more effective for upper body strength. although my trainer never had me focused on that.  Skating treadmill, agility ladders, stair climbs, Squat jumps, tons of stretching, yoga, burst cardio,......  Yuk making me sick just thinking back about those days....

...Some what funny side story. I was pushing pretty hard one day doing the incline sprints on the treatmill, i must have pushed too hard because when I got off the machine i blacked out, the next thing i remember was heatley standing beside me holding an orange juice for me to drink.

Heatley was in a gym?  You sure that was OJ?

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Gretzky is not a good comparable to Mittelstadt as the "whimpy guy who is an excellent player". Gretzky played in a different era, he had goons watching his back and greats like Messier, Kurri, Anderson etc on his team. He was great, but he had help. Whether he was able to do a pull up is irrelevant. He was a phenom. Mittelstadt isn't. Today's game is different. The players are faster, stronger, and I'd say better. With McDavid's speed and skill set, could you imagine him playing in the 80s against players who enjoyed steaks and beers after the games? He'd probably score at least 50 goals every season.

You just proved my point..Superior hockey IQ beats physical attributes (which was my premise)...Even in todays NHL,you have players like Mitch Marner,who have zero upper body being able to make an impact.

Mittelstadt is dominating at his age despite the fact he cannot do a pull up..Why is that?....Pettersen playing in a mens league Sweden as an 18 year old (164lbs,soaking wet)..A lot of the top players in the draft are 'wimpy' guys at this point,but their hockey IQ's are making them stand out from the rest.

Gretzky only played half his career with the Oilers..He was just as outstanding on lesser teams like the Kings and Rangers ..(As a side note,Lemieux couldn't do pull ups either)..If Gretzky was 20 years old now,you don't think he would still dominate?..

I don't think Gretzky would be as dominant a player if he played today. Remember, he demolished the competition when he played. He was even the only player excluded from our hockey pool back then, because it wasn't fair. lol He'd still be one of the best today, but probably not the best. I agree that hockey IQ is a very major piece of the puzzle, but c'mon, these kids have been training for this moment their entire lives and when he gets his shot to perform a physical test he can't do one pull up? That just puts up a lot of red flags for me, regardless of how hockey smart he is. I'm sure whoever picks him will be happy about that, he may have a decent career and be a good player, but I don't feel he's a good fit for the Canucks. Not necessarily because he can't pull himself up (lol) but more because I would prefer a player able to go to war in the playoffs and who knows how to dig deep. 

But what do I know? I'm not scouting the players and don't know him personally. He may be a very good NHL player one day, or he may not. Will be interesting to see how he pans out.  

• Upvote 2