The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

the idea of a heavy 6"3 likely 6"4 C with amazing vision and skill is so tempting.  the idea of Patrick is quickly growing on me.  Hischier s speed and skill is off the charts. but when the post season gets rough a large C is more likely to endure hard minutes against other teams physical punishment.   

Patrick has been widely compared to our Anaheim rival Ryan Getzlaf.  if we are fortunate enough to get either of these two items would be a franchise game changer.

I'm also kind of curious who Jim would take at #3 with all those options and no clear cut number one.

a top 3 pick is my hope!!

so exciting  - glad Kass had another strong game. fun to watch him excel after working out his alcohol addiction.

:D  go Canada go!   

While I love the idea of a big cman, right now Nylander is out playing Mathews by a country mile.

56 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

dude is playing in a the highest level league in in the Czech league.  he's as good as it gets, and the the next best forward after Nico/ Nolan. 

heres my source on how they think Vilardi is.  As you can see he is ranked very low.  He's nowhere near the top in offensive forwards.  they have at least 7 other players who think they are a better player then him.

give it up guys, Vilardi and MIttelstadt will not be drafted in the top 5. 

ed8ted.JPG

Funny that all the other players are blacked out.  rather convenient.

But you're missing that even if this is true, they are ranking the players by type, not in order they like the most..

I'd like to hear an in depth interview on what JB thinks about the top 10 players in the draft. Last year he seemed high on Dubios and Juolevi. I'd like to hear about what he thinks of Necas, Vilardi, Liljgren, Glass... I guess we have to wait till after the lotto. I have a feeling he's probably high on Glass.

55 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

K well when your wrong about Vilardi and he goes top 5 can I say I told you so? You don't pass on a kid with his size and work ethic. He also has skill and high IQ. He's also almost 2018 eligible. His only knock is his skating and it's not even that bad.

Ok, that's fine.  But the Canucks will not be drafting him even if we had the 5th pick and he's still on board.   Absolutely not, my gosh he so overrated. 

Anyone catch the under 18s today, Team Canada vs Team Swiss.  Glass had a good game with 2 goals, had some really strong play and some really nice passes.  I think his stock will rise even higher after this tourney.  What was he ranked number 7 just awhile back.  I think he is on Benning radar actually. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, baumerman77 said:

I don't really think this applies to Patrick. If he is healthy he will be in the NHL next season. I can't remember the last time a first overall pick, especially a forward,  didn't play in the NHL the following season (and yes I am assuming he still goes first). Regardless, he definitely has the skill, size, IQ, etc to be in the NHL next year.

I think AHL eligibility is a factor for picks 3-6, albeit not an overly important one. 

Patrick is the most likely to step directly into the NHL next year. I was just trying to present some options and open up some other options to consider in case it affects anyone's decisions. 

I do think it is pretty important in terms of a players development though. I gave the Virtanen example, but that's probably a bit extreme (although it wouldn't completely surprise me if something similar happened with Vilardi). Another player who I think became a victim of the lack of AHL eligibility is Lazar. He would probably be a better player if he was able to do his time in the AHL as opposed to getting exposed in the NHL. 

I think it affects players who have a defensive element to their game more than pure offensive players usually. Given how important and impactful those types of players can be, I think it would be a pretty significant factor in determining how high those guys are ranked. That affects Hischier, Necas, Liljegren, Pettersson and some others. I think it increases the likelyhood of most players reaching their potential and stepping into the NHL sooner significantly. 

47 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Patrick is the most likely to step directly into the NHL next year. I was just trying to present some options and open up some other options to consider in case it affects anyone's decisions. 

I do think it is pretty important in terms of a players development though. I gave the Virtanen example, but that's probably a bit extreme (although it wouldn't completely surprise me if something similar happened with Vilardi). Another player who I think became a victim of the lack of AHL eligibility is Lazar. He would probably be a better player if he was able to do his time in the AHL as opposed to getting exposed in the NHL. 

I think it affects players who have a defensive element to their game more than pure offensive players usually. Given how important and impactful those types of players can be, I think it would be a pretty significant factor in determining how high those guys are ranked. That affects Hischier, Necas, Liljegren, Pettersson and some others. I think it increases the likelyhood of most players reaching their potential and stepping into the NHL sooner significantly. 

If we take Vilardi I don't see it being much of an issue. He's a young draftee who could use another season exclusively at centre in a good program in Windsor. 

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Ok, that's fine.  But the Canucks will not be drafting him even if we had the 5th pick and he's still on board.   Absolutely not, my gosh he so overrated. 

I would be pissed if we let him pass at 5, vilardi is pretty much a concensus top 5 pick, I think we will see him go 3rd after patrick and hischier.

4 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

K well when your wrong about Vilardi and he goes top 5 can I say I told you so? You don't pass on a kid with his size and work ethic. He also has skill and high IQ. He's also almost 2018 eligible. His only knock is his skating and it's not even that bad.

There is also no date stamp on the mysterious piece of paper that anyone could of done up. Even if it is legit, maybe it is October 2016 legit and not April 2017 legit. Back in October, Nico Hischier was ranked in the later first round, not second overall. Therefore, this list doesn't mean anything unless there is a time associated with it. Given that Comtois is seemingly still ranked high on this list makes me think it's outdated.

3 minutes ago, wellnon said:

This would be pretty interesting if true.  Does anyone know if he is actually legit ?

well in the beginning, he says that he made posts about the draft last year so maybe hes the guy that told everyone that the canucks were going to pick juolevi over tkachuk, so i think he must have some credibility

Edited by DudePerfect
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

vilardi is pretty much a concensus top 5 pick

Problem with this though is that there isn't really a consensus from 3-10'ish. Literally any of them could go in any order.

Vilardi may very well go top 5 but that may not be where the Canucks have him. We only make one of those picks.