The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

2 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

Can't trade both. Need to keep one. Defense would sorely lack experience. We can't just throw all our young guys out there at once. 

Maybe trade one of them in the off-season and see how the defense holds up until the trade deadline? Safer and more realistic imo. 

You're right, it probably is more realistic to do one now, one at the TDL ;) I doubt Benning will sell both this summer...but one can dream.

I don't know, the below scenario isn't THAT terrifying IMO ::D

Just now, J.R. said:

IMO, we're at the point now where we have enough ready, young guys (particularly on D) that we can afford to move Edler/Tanev and fill holes with youth and cheap UFA's.

They'd just have us picking at +/- 10th instead of +/- 5th.

Hutton, Gudbranson

Sbisa, Stecher

Tryamkin, UFA (or maybe Juolevi)

Pedan, Biega, McEneny, UFA etc available as spares

Subban, Brisebois etc in Utica

That's not remotely a contending D core but it's 'good enough'  to a roll 3 pairs pretty even and for a team projecting to finish bottom 10 and it sure would set us up for the future nicely.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, J.R. said:

IMO, we're at the point now where we have enough ready, young guys (particularly on D) that we can afford to move Edler/Tanev and fill holes with youth and cheap UFA's.

They'd just have us picking at +/- 10th instead of +/- 5th.

Hutton, Gudbranson

Sbisa, Stecher

Tryamkin, UFA (or maybe Juolevi)

Pedan, Biega, McEneny, UFA etc available as spares

Subban, Brisebois etc in Utica

That's not remotely a contending D core but it's 'good enough'  to a roll 3 pairs pretty even and for a team projecting to finish bottom 10 and it sure would set us up for the future nicely.

All those D. men will be MUCH better next year...2 were rookies and 1 a sophomore and all except Sbisa are under 25, most under 23...even Sbisa will be better next year, he seems to have gotten the idea of what a stupid pass is and his positioning is much better.

Juolevi may bulk up and surprise people as well.

All the same Tanev should stay to mentor....

• Upvote 3

Do you guys think Pettersson is being underrated and a guy like Vilardi being overrated simply due to the height difference? Because honestly Pettersson is a really good player and much better offensively than Vilardi. I haven't watched Pettersson's games but his highlights have me thinking he has a bright future.  

• Upvote 1

Pettersson is close to Necas for me. Allsvenskan isnt an easy league to score in. Biggest difference is the late birthday of Vilardi makes him almost a year younger than Pettersson. 

People are excited about Dahlin, but Pettersson has similar stats and is a year younger. 

54 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

Do you guys think Pettersson is being underrated and a guy like Vilardi being overrated simply due to the height difference? Because honestly Pettersson is a really good player and much better offensively than Vilardi. I haven't watched Pettersson's games but his highlights have me thinking he has a bright future.  

Those two are the same height, though Pettersson is very slight right now. Both 6'2 according to eliteprospects.com

Who are you hoping falls to us at #33?

My unrealsitic hopes are Yamamoto, Kostin, or Comtois.  They are likely not going to fall that far though.

Assuming we take a centre with our top pick:

1.)  Erik Brannstrom D

2.)  Nicolas Hague  D

3.)  Robert Thomas  C

4.)  Ryan Poehling  LW

5.)  Matt Strome  LW

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Great 8 said:

I think to an extent this is the case. I'm not a big Vilardi fan because I just don't see the offensive creativity and see him as a great number two centre in the future. We already have that. We need guys that are offensively gifted. That's the reason why we're hanging in the bottom of the NHL. Not enough skill!

5 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think to an extent this is the case. I'm not a big Vilardi fan because I just don't see the offensive creativity and see him as a great number two centre in the future. We already have that. We need guys that are offensively gifted. That's the reason why we're hanging in the bottom of the NHL. Not enough skill!

I'm leaning away from Vilardi for that reason as well. Same with Glass. 

Basically, if we can't land one of Patrick, Hischier, Mittelstadt or Liljegren (Lilly obviously isn't a center, but could be the PP QB we need), I'd consider trading down or moving the pick entirely.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

34 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Goldy, Sven and boeser fill that hole.  Vilardi dominates when he has the puck, the guy play a lot like Foppa.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Goldy, Sven and boeser fill that hole.  Vilardi dominates when he has the puck, the guy play a lot like Foppa.

Playing the Foppa card to try to butter me up! :lol:

Sven is a good 2nd liner. Boeser looks like he'll probably be a 1st liner but that's not in stone and hopefully one of Goldy/Dahlen can become a 1st liner but again... not written in stone. 

Also none of them are C's (or project to be). We need a guy with 1C offensive potential to at the very least feed/play off of Boeser (and whoever else ends up on that line). 

Maybe that is Vilardi, and if that's what Benning and Co decide, I'll support it the pick. After all, they do have a lot more and better information and experience to go off. I'm just not seeing it myself. 

Or maybe they have a trade lined up...something like Hutton + Baer for a young, play making C. By all means, I'd be far more open to Vilardi in that case as well as I think he'd look fantastic on Horvat's W, eventually on the 2nd line.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, BCNate said:

Who are you hoping falls to us at #33?

My unrealsitic hopes are Yamamoto, Kostin, or Comtois.  They are likely not going to fall that far though.

Assuming we take a centre with our top pick:

1.)  Erik Brannstrom D

2.)  Nicolas Hague  D

3.)  Robert Thomas  C

4.)  Ryan Poehling  LW

5.)  Matt Strome  LW

Thomas may.

Hague is a non-starter- a kid his size that skates like he does is a GM's dream. Poeling, Listing and Yamamoto are likely gone by the mid-20's.

Comtois may, he strikes me as one of those draft day fallers, he's already fallen so far.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Playing the Foppa card to try to butter me up! :lol:

Sven is a good 2nd liner. Boeser looks like he'll probably be a 1st liner but that's not in stone and hopefully one of Goldy/Dahlen can become a 1st liner but again... not written in stone. 

Also none of them are C's (or project to be). We need a guy with 1C offensive potential to at the very least feed/play off of Boeser (and whoever else ends up on that line). 

Maybe that is Vilardi, and if that's what Benning and Co decide, I'll support it the pick. After all, they do have a lot more and better information and experience to go off. I'm just not seeing it myself. 

Or maybe they have a trade lined up...something like Hutton + Baer for a young, play making C. By all means, I'd be far more open to Vilardi in that case as well as I think he'd look fantastic on Horvat's W, eventually on the 2nd line.

Most of what I'm hearing is Villardi is more likely a winger. Not saying he can't stay at center, but he is no lock.

could we find a chart detailing total points by age in the OHL and showing only 17 year old players like Vilardi?

Basing his production against only 17 and 18 year old players would be a FAR better benchmark for his draft class than basing him against a league of 19 and 20 year old players.

Because 42nd in points in the OHL at age 17 with 61 points in 49 games isn't terrible.  But how is that production vs other 17 and 18 year old players is what I'd really like to know

• Upvote 2