The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BDA

xereau

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The more I think about it, the happier I am with this pick. Our D core going forward all of the sudden looks extremely good.

Juolevi

Gudbranson

Hutton

Tanev

Tryampkin

Stetcher

Larsen

Subban

Pedan

Good luck breaking through that wall...

don't forget Edler, he can still have a great year next year. 

I was at the draft party, and when CBJ passed over Jesse P there was a big gasp and for a moment it seemed like we'd get "our #3" back. But of course Edmonton being Edmonton they did the wrong thing and picked what they didn't need! Great for us, our goalies and D are set for years, and we have 3/6 future top line guys in Bo, Virtanen and Boeser. Some crafty drafting and FA signings and this is a hell of a fun team to watch. 

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

don't forget Edler, he can still have a great year next year. 

I know, but I'm looking a few years down the road to when we're in a position to legitimately contend once again. I'm willing to bet that Edler will be moved by then.

19 minutes ago, SwedeHockey said:

People will bash Benning for taking Juolevi now, but will be the first to support him when Juolevi becomes our top defensemen.

I will still support Juolevi despite the fact that I don't think he deserves to be a top 10 or even top 15 pick, and I'm sure many other Canuck fans will do the same, despite not liking the pick. It's pretty rare that you cheer against a player playing for your team just to be right about what you thought about said player, especially when he could be a key piece to turning your team around.

5 minutes ago, SwedeHockey said:

People will bash Benning for taking Juolevi now, but will be the first to support him when Juolevi becomes our top defensemen.

I am not going to bash Benning. I have no reason to doubt Benning's judgment that Juolevi is a better prospect than Tkachuk or anyone else available at #5.  But obviously it is close between Tkachuk and Juolevi and a lot people have Tkachuk ahead.

But it is very disappointing not to get Dubois and then to have Pulujarvi go one spot before the Canucks picked.

Benning and other GMs have said that "there is no number 1 D" in the draft and most knowledgable commentators have agreed. Benning has said that if they picked a D they would get "a first pairing D".

There is always uncertainty but probably Benning's assessment is the best predictor at that stage. So the Canucks have a future first pairing D. That means he is good but not a potential "franchise D' and obviously he does not have a complete game (i.e. he does not play a physical game and, at 182 lbs. will be below average in weight and strength for a D even if gains 15 to 20 lbs, which is about as much as we can hope for.

So this might be the best pick the Canucks could make but without accumulating another other first round picks and with no second round picks, this is a much smaller payoff from the draft than I hoped for after a terrible season. All the other bottom 6 teams will walk away with much more from this draft than we will. Even Calgary, which picked at 6, has Tkachuk and THREE second round picks.

And I agree that Juolevi likely will become the top D on the team at some point in the future as he is now the top D prospect in the system. His game actually looks similar to Hutton, although I agree that Juolevi obviously has a higher likely ceiling.   But will the Canuck D be good enough to part of a Cup contender? I hope so but I am not optimistic.

22 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Our D is set for the future. Hopefully next year we win the lottery and grab a franchise player

I hope we already have some franchise players on this team :P

12 minutes ago, JamesB said:

But it is very disappointing not to get Dubois

If there's a silver lining, it's that at least we're getting a top 4 defenseman instead of that glorified 3rd liner.  I would have been thrilled if the choice was between Dubust and OJ and Benning took the D.  With Tkachuk on the board, Linden needs to fire Benning and include a drug test in the process for hiring a replacement.

Since it takes at least five years for a D to fully ripen, management is taking the long term approach. Strengthen the team from the back forward. This kid will be a lot bigger and better in three years when he moves into the top pairing. He has all the great basic tools speed, vision, shot, plus he has high IQ, something that doesn't really come from coaching. This is a great long term pick, for when we start to contend in three years.

It came down to Olli or Tkachuk. There weren't any surefire forwards left and I am proud of JB for making a pick based on potential top pairing ability vs a crapshoot a forward who scored in junior but will probably end up a 3rd line checker in the show. We have loads of those you guys. We're always wondering aloud how Nashville got Josi or how St. Louis got Pietrangelo or like all those teams with defensive depth. We haven't been deep on D for a LONG  time…. at some point you need to draft an elite D man and quit praying for a 6th rounder to be the next Duncan Keith. We now have ours. Welcome Olli!

25 minutes ago, Grape said:

I will still support Juolevi despite the fact that I don't think he deserves to be a top 10 or even top 15 pick, and I'm sure many other Canuck fans will do the same, despite not liking the pick. It's pretty rare that you cheer against a player playing for your team just to be right about what you thought about said player, especially when he could be a key piece to turning your team around.

Lol this post is as bad as a Desi special. 

I will say... it sucks that we got scooped on Dubois. Probably the 3rd best player in the draft, overall.

Why do we need to be so clever with our picks. Virtanen was an attempt to be clever, the obvious choice was Ehlers, who turned out to be good indeed.

This year, the obvious choise in Tkachuk. It sucks that Dubois was gone, but that's beyond our control. We can just live with it and take Tkachuk. No need to be clever. Sometimes the legions of scouts from other teams are right.

Question: Many people are implying that Tkachuk is a bit over rated by virtue of playing on a powerhouse team. Yet Juolevi played on the same powerhouse team. Is there something I don't know that distinguishes between the two? 

I'm honestly asking as my minimal knowledge of them is derived only from a few scouting reports and a couple of memorial cup games.

Defense- Vancouver wins this one this evening.

Both Calgary and Edmonton made good choises this evening but they did not address their defense especially Edmonton. Calgary getting Elliot is a step forward but no where near as Vancouvers goaltending. 

As for Edmonton they better hit free agency pretty hard. Their defence and goaltending us marginal at best.

Vancouver did well at this draft. JB knows. 

3 minutes ago, davydgoliath said:

Question: Many people are implying that Tkachuk is a bit over rated by virtue of playing on a powerhouse team. Yet Juolevi played on the same powerhouse team. Is there something I don't know that distinguishes between the two? 

I'm honestly asking as my minimal knowledge of them is derived only from a few scouting reports and couple memorial cup games.

The thing about Tkachuk wasn't that he was playing on a powerhouse team, he was playing on a powerhouse line. He also had a lot of secondary assists.

I honestly figured Bennings 1/2 was Dubois/Juolevi at number 5. I was as high on Tkachuk as others. he's just not the skater the other two are. We may have to wait a year or two for Juolevi but a mobile smart puck mover. Although I was hoping for the forward it's still an excellent pick.

Archived