The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] F Taylor Hall to Devils for D Adam Larsson

3 minutes ago, darinbadershouldamadeit said:

here are some of their quotes: 

"Larsson had only 18 points last year. Just what you want in your new #1 d-man. =(

~weeps uncontrollably~"

"Not even a draft-pick in addition, pure madness "

"Trying not to panic.. "

"Straight up trade too.

Brutal. Just brutal.

Larsson better be the next Hedman."

and my favorite:

"  I kept thinking "I hope we don't do a 1-for-3 trade with Hall". I wasn't expecting us to just decline the other 2 players. "

We definitely got the better of the two between Benning and Chiarelli

lol EDM targeted the wrong Dman. It should've been Severson coming the other way hahaha

7 minutes ago, darinbadershouldamadeit said:

here are some of their quotes: 

"Larsson had only 18 points last year. Just what you want in your new #1 d-man. =(

~weeps uncontrollably~"

"Not even a draft-pick in addition, pure madness "

"Trying not to panic.. "

"Straight up trade too.

Brutal. Just brutal.

Larsson better be the next Hedman."

and my favorite:

"  I kept thinking "I hope we don't do a 1-for-3 trade with Hall". I wasn't expecting us to just decline the other 2 players. "

We definitely got the better of the two between Benning and Chiarelli

I am getting a huge erection

3 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

'Mammoth' contract,  hey? Aren't they less than $ 1 million apart per year cap wise?

It's pretty obvious you don't care about how GMs value defensemen, because Weber for Hall would be one of the stupidest trades in recent memory from Nashville's perspective.

If David Poile were to make that trade, he would be relieved of his job, and rightly so. 

Conversely, if Peter Chiarelli were to be offered Weber for Hall it would be a done deal with no hesitation.

Hall is a great player, but Weber is a special talent. He (along with Doughty) basically single handedly won Canada a gold medal at Sochi and is arguably the most defensively sound defensemen on planet Earth. Oh, did I mention he also puts up 40-50 points per season?

Even a 'declining' Weber would be better than 90% of the rest of the league's defensemen, and he would be infinitely more valuable to any team than Taylor Hall would be. Sorry.

Weber's contract has him at 7.8M for 10 more years, as oppose to Hall's at 6M for 5.

Weber is an elite top 5 defensemen in the league, but how long is that going to last? 3 or 4 more years?

Not saying Weber was expendable in Nashville, but they already have guys who could easily replace him, if a trade were to happen. Hey, didn't Roman Josi have more votes than Weber in the Norris voting?

Found it funny reading comments from Oiler fans on hfboards just roasting this trade. I don't know enough about Larsson, but definitely seems like Edmonton was in the same position Gillis was and had to sell low, and a poor return. Guess time will tell if Larsson develops into the guy that he was drafted to be. 

So if Edmonton signs Demers who are they going to expose in the expansion draft?

Sekera - NMC

Klefbom

Larsson

Demers

One of them will have to be exposed and it can't be Sekera. They traded a #1 overall pick for Larsson who some feel is a potential "franchise" defencemen. They would have just signed Demers who will probably ask for a NMC. I guess that leaves Klefbom. 

Poor Edmonton fans. They deserve so much better...  B)

2 hours ago, Honky Cat said:

Plus the Oilers coughed up the 16th and 33rd overall last year, in a trade for Griffin Reinhart...Hows that working out?

Chiarelli looks like a master at asset management.  Too bad he has to expose Reinhart in the expansion draft...

image.jpeg

I think those who believe that jersey got the better player are correct. 

But I believe that the oilers got a much better teamate 

sometimes deals are made for reasons the public isn't always aware of.  

Id say the same about the Pk for Webber deal 

11 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

So if Edmonton signs Demers who are they going to expose in the expansion draft?

Sekera - NMC

Klefbom

Larsson

Demers

One of them will have to be exposed and it can't be Sekera. They traded a #1 overall pick for Larsson who some feel is a potential "franchise" defencemen. They would have just signed Demers who will probably ask for a NMC. I guess that leaves Klefbom. 

Poor Edmonton fans. They deserve so much better...  B)

no. no they dont. 

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

Truth is that Chiarelli copy-catted here the guy that was the real brains behind building the SCC Bruins....  But Benning was quicker to the draw and didn't have a first overall to spend to get the job done.  So I'd give Benning the A+, and I'd give Chiarelli a pass for this deal - a good hockey trade mirroring what Benning did, but after the dust was stirred and the market shrunk / market value increased.

My take exactly.  These trades are very similar for both teams, but it is arguable Vancouver got the better overall value.  Sounds like both JB and PC spent a long time trying to get this done, scouring for possibilities.  The student has become the master.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

That's interesting.  I haven't heard of many 23 year old unrestricted free agents.

Also - Demers scoring more points last year (in Dallas in far easier minutes) isn't really much information.

Unfortunately using zone starts and minutes played isn't equal math in determining which player is more offensive.  It's not as simple as stating that if the player was put in more offensive zone starts that it automatically means they are going to produce at a higher rate.  There is a reason why the art ross is based on total points and not ppg.  

No matter how you want to look at this deal, value for value EDM lost,  even PC admitted today that it's a lost.  The thing EDM is doing is taking a gamble on a player in hopes that Larsson progression turns it into a win for the oil, which may someday happen. Hall might also turn lights out and become a consistent 30 goal scorer. But either way, today value for value, NJ won hands down.

“There’s a pedigree and label attached to certain players. Taylor has that and the player that we acquired doesn’t have that, but he does have the requisite skill set, size and passion.”

Basically "today it looks like we overpaid, but we believe the player we acquired will continue to develop into the much needed player for the oilers."

Archived