The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] F Taylor Hall to Devils for D Adam Larsson

At first glance this trade is one that makes people shake their head.

But this was always what it was going to come to for Edmonton. Previous management failed for years to address their need for top 4 D-men to the point where they backed themselves into a corner.

Every team knew they were desperate and were going to look to fleece them in a trade. To get a player like Subban they would have probably needed to trade the 4th (if it was Dubois), Hall, and Yakupov. Obviously that was too much for them to wanna part with.

So although it seems like they're buying very high on a player like Larsson, I think they're taking a necessary gamble and hoping that they're actually buying low. If Larsson is just a late bloomer who was being held back on a bad team, this trade could look more even in the future.

Oilers fans are probably livid right now because on paper it looks like they just got bent over. But I think in time they'll appreciate what Larsson brings to the table and realize a defenseman like him helps them win more than a flashy puck hog. He may not ever be an exciting player like Hall, but he does so many little things well, much like Tanev, that fans will learn to like him.

That being said it may not be an easy few years for Oilers fans watching Hall tear it up with former Spitfires teammate Adam Henrique. I think Hall puts up 90-100 points in the next couple seasons. But the reality is scoring points aren't what have kept the Oilers bad, it's goals against that has. This trade moved them a little further in the right direction IMO. Maybe not as much as OIler fans would have liked, but it was never going to be an easy task to overhaul that team.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

But this was always what it was going to come to for Edmonton. Previous management failed for years to address their need for top 4 D-men to the point where they backed themselves into a corner.

Every team knew they were desperate and were going to look to fleece them in a trade. To get a player like Subban they would have probably needed to trade the 4th (if it was Dubois), Hall, and Yakupov. Obviously that was to much for them to wanna part with.

So although it seems like they're buying very high on a player lie Larsson, I think they're taking a necessary gamble and hoping that they're actually buying low. If Larsson is just a late bloomer who was being held back on a good team, this trade could look more even in the future.

Oilers fans are probably livid right now because on paper it looks like they just got bent over. But I think in time they'll appreciate what Larsson brings to the table and realize a defenseman like him helps them win more than a flashy puck hog. He may not ever be an exciting player like Hall, but he does so many little things well, much like Tanev, that fans will learn to like him.

That being said it may not be an easy few years for Oilers fans watching Hall tear it up with former Spitfires teammate Adam Henrique. I think Hall puts up 90-100 points in the next couple seasons. But the reality scoring points aren't what have kept the Oilers bad, it's goals against that has. This trade moved a little further in the right direction IMO. Maybe not as much as OIler fans would have liked, but it was never going to be an easy task to overhaul that team.

FLA kicking and screaming.. Hall for Gud would've been ALMOST equal. (I'd take Gud over Larssen)

Man that draft threw wrenches into wrenches, into a cog that shattered the NHL.

I really wonder now, at the moment Cris Tanev is a better defenseman than Adam Larsson, while Jesse Puljujarvi, although having sky high potential, is at the moment no where near the level of Taylor Hall. 

Value-wise, would a Puljujarvi for Tanev trade be better for both organizations than Hall for Larsson? i

22 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

So Chia has traded:

Hall
1st round pick #16 (Barzal)
Pick 33
Marincin

for:

Larsson
Reinhart 
Ross
4th rounder

That desperation to acquire a half-decent defenceman lol...

Makes the Juolevi pick look that much better for you guys - seeing how hard it is and how much value it takes to acquire a young defenceman with potential.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Every team knew they were desperate and were going to look to fleece them in a trade. To get a player like Subban they would have probably needed to trade the 4th (if it was Dubois), Hall, and Yakupov. Obviously that was too much for them to wanna part with.

So although it seems like they're buying very high on a player like Larsson, I think they're taking a necessary gamble and hoping that they're actually buying low. If Larsson is just a late bloomer who was being held back on a bad team, this trade could look more even in the future.

That being said it may not be an easy few years for Oilers fans watching Hall tear it up with former Spitfires teammate Adam Henrique. I think Hall puts up 90-100 points in the next couple seasons. But the reality scoring points aren't what have kept the Oilers bad, it's goals against that has. This trade moved a little further in the right direction IMO. Maybe not as much as OIler fans would have liked, but it was never going to be an easy task to overhaul that team.

From one bad team to another 

54 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Weber's contract has him at 7.8M for 10 more years, as oppose to Hall's at 6M for 5.

Weber is an elite top 5 defensemen in the league, but how long is that going to last? 3 or 4 more years?

Not saying Weber was expendable in Nashville, but they already have guys who could easily replace him, if a trade were to happen. Hey, didn't Roman Josi have more votes than Weber in the Norris voting?

I stand corrected on the numbers. However my argument still stands.

Players like Roman Josi and Jake Muzzin owe a lot to studs like Weber and Doughty. The mark of a true legend is the ability to make those around you better. 

I am gonna make a bold prediction - Roman Josi is going to take a step back this season. 

Norris voting is just a BS popularity contest anyway. Keith, Weber, Doughty. Those should be the nominees. The fact that guys like Subban and Karlsson have Norris trophies with those 3 still in the league speaks to the sheer lunacy of the voters.

Just now, Western Red said:

FLA kicking and screaming.. Hall for Gud would've been ALMOST equal. (I'd take Gud over Larssen)

Man that draft threw wrenches into wrenches, into a cog that shattered the NHL.

I think Larsson has more offensive upside that he can tap into, Gudbranson on the other hand may have reached that potential.

Credit to Benning though, he saw an opportunity and he wasted no time getting a deal done. Acquiring top 4 d-men is so hard to do now, Chiarelli just proved that.

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Unfortunately using zone starts and minutes played isn't equal math in determining which player is more offensive.

You may want to take that up with whoever argued whatever it is you're trying to say there.

3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

From one bad team to another 

Yea, but maybe a system that utilizes his offense more, who knows?

Worst part of this trade for me as a Canucks fan is not being able to see Gudbranson lay out Hall when he comes flying down the ice with his head down. I was looking forward to that.

1 minute ago, Blömqvist said:

I really wonder now, at the moment Cris Tanev is a better defenseman than Adam Larsson, while Jesse Puljujarvi, although having sky high potential, is at the moment no where near the level of Taylor Hall. 

Value-wise, would a Puljujarvi for Tanev trade be better for both organizations than Hall for Larsson? i

I would trade Tanev for Puljujarvi in 1 microsecond, and I'm a big Tanev fan. Always have been. 

Would it be better for Edmonton? As a Canucks fan I honestly wouldn't care :P

I was realllly hoping Pulj would fall through Edmonton, but he didn't, and I'm happy with Juolevi. I wanted another top pick in this past draft, if Tanev turned into a #4 overall that would have to be a no brainer for JB to accept. 

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Sounds like CDC after every single move that Benning makes....

I think that may resemble the initial reaction to the Gudbranson deal more than people around here may want to acknowledge. 

Except we were whining about a 2nd round pick, not a 24 year old former 1st overall pick.

15 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

I wonder what those 1094 comments are saying...

Well, most writers on that website are pretty much just fans who are pretending to be writers so not sure that holds much weight. 

Archived