The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] F Taylor Hall to Devils for D Adam Larsson

2 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Something like that would definitely make the Hall move a bit more palatable for Oiler fans I'm sure.

The point I was making is you can basically get a similar player to Larsson without giving up your #1 LW

2 minutes ago, amplified0ne said:

Most did, but more importantly can you replace his points by strictly adding bodies?  So if you can get Lucic + adding Pool Party = Hall (without adding Cap) for strictly points then probably you've made yourself deeper with the addition of Larsson.  But if you don't get Lucic, who replaces Hall's points?  A full season of McDavid assuming he doesn't get injured?  Pretty Big gamble but we'll see how it plays out.

You're right.  Chirell still has some work to do.  If they sign a left wing free agent like Lucic and a RHD like Demers.  The Oilers will suddenly look decent.

That's a big if

Just now, kjames05 said:

The point I was making is you can basically get a similar player to Larsson without giving up your #1 LW

I can't argue with that at all. If they are looking to spend on a forward and a D though they at least got a second D for one of their forwards without shooting themselves in the foot regarding the salary cap. 

2 minutes ago, kjames05 said:

That's interesting.  I haven't heard of many 23 year old unrestricted free agents.

Also - Demers scoring more points last year (in Dallas in far easier minutes) isn't really much information.

Its always interesting to visit other teams' forums to see what they are saying.  Went to the NJ board to see what they thought of Larsson.  Biggest knock on him seems to be that he provides very little offence and he is too soft... but he is a good defender.  They think that Severson can step in and take over that role.  Most NJ fans seem quite shocked and are excited they got Hall in a one for one trade.  

23 minutes ago, kjames05 said:

So trade RNH or Eberle instead. Trading a legit top line winger for a top 4 (but not top 2) defenseman who has yet to really prove anything is just insanity

If they could have gotten a top 2-3 dman with either one of those guys, they would have.

It was a steep price, but a move the oilers had to make.  I'm not sure I'm sold on Larsson being successful in the western conference, but at least they finally got a legit defenseman to build the d corps around.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

If they could have gotten a top 2-3 dman with either one of those guys, they would have.

It was a steep price, but a move the oilers had to make.  I'm not sure I'm sold on Larsson being successful in the western conference, but at least they finally got a legit defenseman to build the d corps around.

So in your mind Larsson > Nurse? I'm not sold on either being a strong fit in the west, but if Lucic doesn't sign there in July (and even if he does really) the Oil are definitely east meets west.

40 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Hall makes almost $2M more.  Did anybody notice that?

Top pair D (even top 4 D) and centres are more highly valued than wingers in general.

Did Edmonton get hosed?  A bit, but when you're the one who NEEDS to make the deal, that's what usually happens as well.

Edmonton badly needs top 4 RHD and they have the assets to afford to be a little loose with the equity. 

Larsson is a potential top pairing guy so I can't say the Oilers lost badly.  Those guys don't come cheap.

A bit?

Cam Neely for Barry Pederson...that's hosed a bit

Hall for Larsson is an absolute robbery, a theft and egregious amateur waste of assets.

Even the TSN media who tend to endlessly favour Toronto and then edmonton and then 5 other canadian teams in that order are not just criticizing Chiarelli but wondering if this will cost him his job.

Larsson has all the hallmarks of a D man who will not come in to his prime until 26-27 years old.  but hall has been one of the premier scoring threats for points every 60 minutes for over the last 5 years on what is statistically the worst team over that same period in NHL history

While over time Larsson vs Hall might side with the Oilers, right now at this moment Chiarelli was bent over and prison sexed by an entire cellblock

23 minutes ago, Darius71 said:

Its always interesting to visit other teams' forums to see what they are saying.  Went to the NJ board to see what they thought of Larsson.  Biggest knock on him seems to be that he provides very little offence and he is too soft... but he is a good defender.  They think that Severson can step in and take over that role.  Most NJ fans seem quite shocked and are excited they got Hall in a one for one trade.  

The funniest part is the analytics Dbags like Travis Yost were all over JB for the Gudbranson trade because of the corsi. If im not mistaken Larsson had the same corsi last year as Gudbranson

Just now, LolClarkson said:

The funniest part is the analytics Dbags like Travis Yost were all over JB for the Gudbranson trade because of the corsi. If im not mistaken Larsson had the same corsi last year as Gudbranson

When I see the name "Yost" i think of the same piece of toilet paper I used to wipe the likes of Damien Cox 

56 minutes ago, shiznak said:

A 30 year old, with a massive contract, who will probably be declining in a few years over a 24 year old, who is a 60+ point guy, entering his prime. I don't care how GMs values defensemen. You make that trade, especially in Nashville's case, with their plethora of young defensemen. 

'Mammoth' contract,  hey? Aren't they less than $ 1 million apart per year cap wise?

It's pretty obvious you don't care about how GMs value defensemen, because Weber for Hall would be one of the stupidest trades in recent memory from Nashville's perspective.

If David Poile were to make that trade, he would be relieved of his job, and rightly so. 

Conversely, if Peter Chiarelli were to be offered Weber for Hall it would be a done deal with no hesitation.

Hall is a great player, but Weber is a special talent. He (along with Doughty) basically single handedly won Canada a gold medal at Sochi and is arguably the most defensively sound defensemen on planet Earth. Oh, did I mention he also puts up 40-50 points per season?

Even a 'declining' Weber would be better than 90% of the rest of the league's defensemen, and he would be infinitely more valuable to any team than Taylor Hall would be. Sorry.

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

A bit?

Cam Neely for Barry Pederson...that's hosed a bit

Hall for Larsson is an absolute robbery, a theft and egregious amateur waste of assets.

Even the TSN media who tend to endlessly favour Toronto and then edmonton and then 5 other canadian teams in that order are not just criticizing Chiarelli but wondering if this will cost him his job.

Larsson has all the hallmarks of a D man who will not come in to his prime until 26-27 years old.  but hall has been one of the premier scoring threats for points every 60 minutes for over the last 5 years on what is statistically the worst team over that same period in NHL history

While over time Larsson vs Hall might side with the Oilers, right now at this moment Chiarelli was bent over and prison sexed by an entire cellblock

This isn't going to cost anybody their job. TSN is always blowing these things out of proportion. You don't do this deal without running it by the owner and getting the go ahead first.

Did Edm get beat up on this deal? Sure. But they got a nice piece that they desperately needed. They gave up a great player to get it, but with their forward depth they can probably make up the production. Not next year, but in the next couple.

In the meantime, I'll just enjoy the hilarity that is local news and local sports radio in this city today. They'll calm down in a couple of days and then start getting behind their team again. Which is something I wish we were better at.

6 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

ccfwgvvfzrrlhno2fb0c.png

Oil fans right now LMAO

here are some of their quotes: 

"Larsson had only 18 points last year. Just what you want in your new #1 d-man. =(

~weeps uncontrollably~"

"Not even a draft-pick in addition, pure madness "

"Trying not to panic.. "

"Straight up trade too.

Brutal. Just brutal.

Larsson better be the next Hedman."

and my favorite:

"  I kept thinking "I hope we don't do a 1-for-3 trade with Hall". I wasn't expecting us to just decline the other 2 players. "

We definitely got the better of the two between Benning and Chiarelli

Archived