The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

6 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

And all of a sudden, with 6 points in 9 games, his production is not looking all that bad. Go Loui!

I think were seeing more of what he brings. He has played well for the most part, his defensive game has been good. Nice to see the points starting to come.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/22/2017 at 4:39 AM, bp79 said:

I think were seeing more of what he brings. He has played well for the most part, his defensive game has been good. Nice to see the points starting to come.

Hopefully he's pulled out of the tailspin and we get more of this Eriksson for the next few years. If nothing else so I can stop reading people bitch about his contract :lol:

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So now that he has played 10 games this year and 7 points, that projects to about 56 points over a full year or 0.7 ppg (right at his career average).    Guy brings a lot of negative reaction but if he is getting points at career average (which would have led Canucks last year btw) and plays as well as he has the past few games (he was an absolutely beast on the PK recently), then why all the hate?

because a lot of CDC doesn't value defensive play. Thats always been there for him. I don't have the link at hand but there was a good analysis last year showing how he was arguably our best defensive F last season under Willie D.

There also seems to be a need for a 'hate dump' player. 

I'm thrilled to see him finding his game again, he and Granny seem to play better together under Green's style.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

because a lot of CDC doesn't value defensive play. Thats always been there for him. I don't have the link at hand but there was a good analysis last year showing how he was arguably our best defensive F last season under Willie D.

I'm thrilled to see him finding his game again, he and Granny seem to play better together under Green's style.

CDC doesn't really care for older players.

CDC doesn't care for players that are not flashy as they actually would have to watch the finer details of their game. Loui does all the little things well but unfortunately most of that goes unnoticed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

CDC doesn't really care for older players.

CDC doesn't care for players that are not flashy as they actually would have to watch the finer details of their game. Loui does all the little things well but unfortunately most of that goes unnoticed.

when the Sedin's likely retire next season Loui could be the defensively sound line partner for a guy like Dahlen or Goldy. 

41 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Erikkson is looking very comfortable lately. He's clearly in a rhythm now, which is awesome. Happy for the guy.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

when the Sedin's likely retire next season Loui could be the defensively sound line partner for a guy like Dahlen or Goldy. 

Agreed, but I think he can still be a very capable offensive player. Most of his goals over his career have come from within about 10 ft of the net so I think he would be much more effective with players that get the puck to the net. In my mind, the Sedins are not a match for him as they do not drive the puck to the net. He would be a very good net front presence on the Canucks' PP but he has been of little value there as there are a very limited number of shots generated on our PP. Opportunities to tuck in rebounds just aren't there and that is not Loui's fault.

Just now, Rick Blight said:

Agreed, but I think he can still be a very capable offensive player. Most of his goals over his career have come from within about 10 ft of the net so I think he would be much more effective with players that get the puck to the net. In my mind, the Sedins are not a match for him as they do not drive the puck to the net. He would be a very good net front presence on the Canucks' PP but he has been of little value there as there are a very limited number of shots generated on our PP. Opportunities to tuck in rebounds just aren't there and that is not Loui's fault.

yup, I think thats why Granny and Vanek are good partners for him. 

Believe it or not Leif Rohlin did play for the Vancouver Canucks (wasn't just expansion draft fodder) and Loui Eriksson passed him today to go into a tie for 192nd in all time Canuck scoring.

192.  Bryan Allen D 216 14 18 32
192.  Loui Eriksson RW 77 14 18 32
194.  Gerry Minor C 140 11 21 32
195.  Leif Rohlin D 96 8 24 32
196.  Luca Sbisa D 199 7 25 32

Eriksson's nifty pass moved him into 186th in all-time Canuck scoring.

185.  Vladimir Krutov LW 61 11 23 34
186.  Loui Eriksson RW 79 14 19 33
187.  Ray Cullen C 70 12 21 33
188.  Harry York C 103 11 22 33
188.  Dave Dunn D 69 11 22 33
190.  Bryan McCabe D 95 8 25 33
191.  Leon Rochefort RW 87 18 14 32
192.  Jean-Marc Lanthier RW 105 16 16 32
193.  Bryan Allen D 216 14 18 32

On 11/23/2017 at 1:57 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

because a lot of CDC doesn't value defensive play.

To be fair, sound defensive play is not worth 6 million a season - not even close.  These days with the skill level on the teams, if you aren't putting up points you're hurting your team.

I was not one of the ones to get on him too badly.  I could not see any reason why he declined so far so fast, and felt there was a good chance he would come back; we are seeing that now.  But I totally understood why everyone was ragging on him.  When you are paid that much, you need to produce.

Glad to see he appears to be back on track; we need the extra scoring.

40 minutes ago, kloubek said:

To be fair, sound defensive play is not worth 6 million a season - not even close.  These days with the skill level on the teams, if you aren't putting up points you're hurting your team.

I was not one of the ones to get on him too badly.  I could not see any reason why he declined so far so fast, and felt there was a good chance he would come back; we are seeing that now.  But I totally understood why everyone was ragging on him.  When you are paid that much, you need to produce.

Glad to see he appears to be back on track; we need the extra scoring.

I think it was mostly due to Willie D's system. Loui still had over 200 shots last year, but many of them were simply 'one and done' with no follow up by line mates. Pretty hard to generate scoring chances in front of the net that way. The major difference I see is he has line mates going to the net with him this year. 

• Upvote 1

i don't look at contract amounts. that's between player and gm. i look at what a player does to help the team win. ericksson does a lot of things well.  he is a very good defensive player, mentor with some offensive skill. i see louie as a mentor and linemate of pettersson and dahlen, providing sound defensive play. ericksson may not still be here for the length of his contract but benning has given him a contract that makes it easier to trade him in years 3 through six. his pay check in years 5 and 6 is not for 6 mill.  people should just think about his value to the team.  players like sutter, dorsett, granlund and ericksson  help give this team strong defensive skills. without them, we'ld be looking at scores of 6 to 8 a game, against. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Interesting article on our PK stats. Loui's a monster on the PK this year: https://thecanuckway.com/2017/11/29/vancouver-canucks-analyzing-bo-horvats-penalty-killing/ 

note: the article is mostly focused on Bo, but Loui's numbers are there for comparison. Only 1 goal against in 24 minutes of PK time for Loui 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Interesting article on our PK stats. Loui's a monster on the PK this year: https://thecanuckway.com/2017/11/29/vancouver-canucks-analyzing-bo-horvats-penalty-killing/ 

note: the article is mostly focused on Bo, but Loui's numbers are there for comparison. Only 1 goal against in 24 minutes of PK time for Loui 

That and that fact that he is actually slightly ahead of his per 82 game pace for career points per season - his good play seemingly is being lost on a lot of people.   I think he has been playing very well so far this year and looks a lot faster and more engaged than last season as if he was fighting injury or ??? for a lot of the year.    

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That and that fact that he is actually slightly ahead of his per 82 game pace for career points per season - his good play seemingly is being lost on a lot of people.   I think he has been playing very well so far this year and looks a lot faster and more engaged than last season as if he was fighting injury or ??? for a lot of the year.    

A popular theory on last year was that Eriksson didn't take change too well (didn't overwhelm his first year in Boston either).  The try may be there but if the focus isn't there 100%, it's harder to produce at your best in a league like the NHL.  Perhaps we were/are seeing that.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

A popular theory on last year was that Eriksson didn't take change too well (didn't overwhelm his first year in Boston either).  The try may be there but if the focus isn't there 100%, it's harder to produce at your best in a league like the NHL.  Perhaps we were/are seeing that.

But, but...that would destroy the narrative that Benning sucks, and doesn't know what he's doing....:rolleyes:

10 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Glad to have Eriksson back. And, Horvat shouldn't be killing penalties. We should let him focus on scoring.

I woudl like to see Virtanen take Bo's spot on the PK. Let's see how he does.

• Upvote 1