The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

yes but his salary is only 1 million per season, and the rest is bonus......probably paid out at the beginning of each season, as per Capfriendly

Yeah, so he is fairly buyout-proof.

For those of you upset about Eriksson's stat sheet, consider Jonathan Toews.  13.8 million a year currently and 35 points in 55 games.

There's a good reason Eriksson isn't producing a lot of points lately.  It's the same reason that Sutter isn't producing lots of points and Granlund isn't producing lots of points.  They are a checking line sent out each night against the top lines on every other team in the league.  What is surprising is that even with their low point totals, their +/- is still pretty solid, indicating they are getting the job done.  You still expect more from a 6 million a year man, but there's not much to really get ourselves too cranked up about.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

For those of you upset about Eriksson's stat sheet, consider Jonathan Toews.  13.8 million a year currently and 35 points in 55 games.

There's a good reason Eriksson isn't producing a lot of points lately.  It's the same reason that Sutter isn't producing lots of points and Granlund isn't producing lots of points.  They are a checking line sent out each night against the top lines on every other team in the league.  What is surprising is that even with their low point totals, their +/- is still pretty solid, indicating they are getting the job done.  You still expect more from a 6 million a year man, but there's not much to really get ourselves too cranked up about.

IMO the down side protection in signing Ericksson was his d-side play. He has been a premier PK'er and still is. It doesn't help at the other end of the ice however. The Canuck problem is top six production and the d-core. I still think Markstrom is a 1G until Demko can challenge. If the Canucks are smart they will keep Demko in Utica for another year. 

On 2/9/2018 at 1:35 PM, The 5th Line said:

He's OLLLDDDDDD.  There is no mystery as to why he's not producing, players once they turn 30 usually begin to fade offensively and some more than others.  He's old! He's working hard, he's still good defensively and shows flashes of his former self at times but he just can't "get there" anymore, his hands aren't the same, he had an open net last night at shot it 5 feet wide.. The first thing to go when you get old is your hands, and then your legs etc etc

Let's sign a 31 year old to a 6 year deal, what could possibly go wrong?  The contract was doomed from the get go, absolutely horrendous signing.

He's really not that old.  Yes he is around the age players start to decline, but going from .77ppg in Boston to .34ppg the very next year with us tells me there is something else at work there.  Unless you suddenly develop some horrendous condition, nobody declines THAT fast.

3 hours ago, kloubek said:

He's really not that old.  Yes he is around the age players start to decline, but going from .77ppg in Boston to .34ppg the very next year with us tells me there is something else at work there.  Unless you suddenly develop some horrendous condition, nobody declines THAT fast.

We currently lack play drivers for him to play with. He's a complimentary player with no one to compliment.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kloubek said:

You mean like a... mysterious skin condition? I guess he should just rest up and take his cap hit with him then. For his own health, of course.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

You mean like a... mysterious skin condition? I guess he should just rest up and take his cap hit with him then. For his own health, of course.

Heh.  I have no idea. Maybe he figured it is getting physically harder to push himself so once he got his fat contract he didn't give a crap anymore - I really don't know.  But nobodies ability declines at that rate.  Something else is amiss.  Nagging injury maybe? 

12 hours ago, kloubek said:

Heh.  I have no idea. Maybe he figured it is getting physically harder to push himself so once he got his fat contract he didn't give a crap anymore - I really don't know.  But nobodies ability declines at that rate.  Something else is amiss.  Nagging injury maybe? 

20 hours ago, kloubek said:

16 hours ago, aGENT said:

We currently lack play drivers for him to play with. He's a complimentary player with no one to compliment.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I'm just not sure I agree with you.  What do you mean "play drivers"? In Boston he often played with lesser talented individuals than he has had here. I think he has had opportunities here both with linemates as well as actual scoring chances, and just hasn't found a way to make either work out in his favour.  With the exception of one year in his career, his shooting % is the lowest it's been since his rookie year for both years playing for us.  In fact, it is dangerously close to being HALF his average prior to coming to Vancouver.

I think that's the real key. Somehow, he's just no longer dynamic with the puck. It isn't like he just "forgot" how to play hockey, but when he has the puck he just doesn't do much with it anymore.  And I'm not sure you can blame his linemates for that.

1 minute ago, kloubek said:

Yeah, I'm just not sure I agree with you.  What do you mean "play drivers"? In Boston he often played with lesser talented individuals than he has had here. I think he has had opportunities here both with linemates as well as actual scoring chances, and just hasn't found a way to make either work out in his favour.  With the exception of one year in his career, his shooting % is the lowest it's been since his rookie year for both years playing for us.  In fact, it is dangerously close to being HALF his average prior to coming to Vancouver.

I think that's the real key. Somehow, he's just no longer dynamic with the puck. It isn't like he just "forgot" how to play hockey, but when he has the puck he just doesn't do much with it anymore.  And I'm not sure you can blame his linemates for that.

Play driver. Guys who drive play. 

He's a complimentary player aka, not a play driver. His best years where playing with play driving, 2 way C's. The rare times he's played with Horvat this year, he's looked FAR better. Coincidence?

Problem being we lack any more 'Horvats' presently (duh, rebuilding...lol) so he has no play driving, 2 way guys to compliment. Plus that line needs a play maker (Baer) and moving Boeser off it seems pretty counter intuitive (aka dumb).

I actually think he could pair well with Gaudette next year ('Horvat-light') in a depth role against lesser match ups.

48 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Play driver. Guys who drive play. 

He's a complimentary player aka, not a play driver. His best years where playing with play driving, 2 way C's. The rare times he's played with Horvat this year, he's looked FAR better. Coincidence?

Problem being we lack any more 'Horvats' presently (duh, rebuilding...lol) so he has no play driving, 2 way guys to compliment. Plus that line needs a play maker (Baer) and moving Boeser off it seems pretty counter intuitive (aka dumb).

I actually think he could pair well with Gaudette next year ('Horvat-light') in a depth role against lesser match ups.

Ok, I think I get what you're saying.  So, yes - obviously another player which makes things happen would be beneficial, but there are only so many of those kinds of players to go around. After this season, Eriksson is going to be our highest paid player, and if he was able to produce as he was expected when signed, you better believe Green would have no issues with adding him to a line with Horvat and Boeser.   Eriksson-Horvat-Boeser would and SHOULD be a very, very good line. But no matter WHO he is put with, he just isn't getting it done to the level he should.  And yes, it makes sense that putting him with our best center would help him - but clearly not enough.

No comment about his shooting percentage?  I'd say that's a pretty accurate state to utilize when trying to determine where he is going wrong.  And it isn't from lack of quality chances either; I've seen *plenty* of grade-A opportunities that he's totally missed an opportunity on.

Edited by kloubek